• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I made a tool the other day for removing a Mosin barrel, this was the motivation for that.
    IMG_1090_zps63832f59.jpg

I cut 4" off the barrel and shortened the front of the stock about the same amount. I also turned down the end of the barrel and reinstalled the original front sight.

Here's the whole happy Mosin family.
    IMG_1092_zps43031f2b.jpg

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I fired it off the back porch a few times on new years eve, my son said it was about a four foot fireball, my wife said it lit up the whole back yard.:D I'll have to see if I can get the wife to try to get a picture of it.

The original cabine barrel is 20.4", I cut 4" off and after I cut a new crown on it the barrel came out to about 16 1/4".

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Haven't fired it in the daylight yet....The barrel on this one wasn't great to begin with which is why I decided to cut it up, so i'm not expecting pinpoint accuracy, but i'll try it out sometime in the next couple days and let you know.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    how hard was it to get the barrel out? Ive been gathering parts to build a "semi-precision" Mosin with a bull barrel at some point.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    how hard was it to get the barrel out? Ive been gathering parts to build a "semi-precision" Mosin with a bull barrel at some point.

I posted a thread on that a few days ago, https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/256791-gunsmithing_removing_mosin_barrel.html

Once I got the tool made the barrel came apart easier than I expected it to. If you don't intend to reuse (or even save) the old barrel it could probably be done without the clamp/wrench. You would need a lathe though.

Top Bottom