• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    So, I picked up a Mosin 91/30 at Bradis yesterday. I'm in the procees of cleaning he cousmoline off of it so I can break it down and do a good cleaning. Anyway, there is some cousmoline on the sling and pouches. Not a lot, but I would lime to get it off. Any suggestions? Should I just through them in the washing mschine?

My plan to is to clean the metal part in mineral spirits, rinse, then dry, and oil. The stock, I plan to wrap in paper, put n black trash bag and sit it s my front window of my truck. At this point, would zi just wipe it off as it sweats out? Should I also use a cleaner as well?

Thanks

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    You have someone really close to you that will clean that for you for cheap.....

Look up MosinGuy.

I'll be over here prepping for the diehards coming in to get all excited about a cosmo bath...

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Should I just through them in the washing mschine?

No. Take a palstic tub of HOT soapy water and scrub all the gunk inside and out of the pouches. Don't pour the waste water down your drain. Its not that its toxic, it'll just gunk up your pipes.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Hot soapy water for the sling and pouch as KoopaKGB said. Also you can use mineral spirits on the stock to remove the worst of the gunk, it won't hurt the shellac. then you can use the black bag treatment to draw out the grease that has soaked in the wood.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    If you leave it in a black bag in say, your truck you'll have to wipe the cosmo off occasionally as it'll sweat out. And even when you think its all gone, when you go to fire it for the first time you'll notice more. Not a big deal really, just wipe off and you'll be good.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Got it all done. Im washing the sling now. Thanks forthe advise. No I just gotta get the bayonet to fit :rolleyes:

For the bayo get a large screwdriver or pry bar and stick it in the slot on the side of the bayo socket and spread it just a bit, doesn't take much. Test fit, if still too tight, spread it some more; too loose take some channel locks and squeeze it a bit.

One more thing, :postpics:

:D

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I do my Mosin cleaning the lazy way.:D I wait until a hot sunny day and strip the Mosin down and lay the parts out on a newspaper covered picnic table. Thru the day I will go out a few times and wipe the cosmoline off the metal and wood and run patches thru the bore. I took me 2 days of heating in the sun for my Son's Mosin but it came out nice. I've got another one waiting for the right conditions so I can de-gunk it. Probably not a good method unless you're not in a hurry but there isn't any hard work involved and you just need paper towels or rags to wipe the cosmoline off.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I do the wood on top of the wood stove in the winter time 3 hours or so wiping 4 or 5 times or till it quits sweating,and mineral spirits on everything else.Works great.

Top Bottom