• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Ok so here is my issue, Im left handed (ok thats not really my issue) however, shoot most guns fairly well but have a lot of trouble getting my Mosin accurate at 50yds. Im talking a 12in group. Thats what my 10 year old neice could shout a BB gun at 50yds. So whats up? I know my reset is killing my accuracy but my eyes are good and I take my time. Any suggestions? By the way i have a Russian 91/30 in pristine condition.

So I looked through the treads and I only really found people talking about scopes but I want to be accurate with Irons first.

Last edited:

Cstar23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I read on another forum that they are sited in with their bayonets on, and shooting without it changes the barrel harmonics which can effect accuracy. This could be why you are having issues. A friend on mine just bent the front post site slightly until it shot point of aim.:twocents:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The [STRIKE]bayonet[/STRIKE] freedom stabber won't help much if any. It will just get stuck on the barrel and poke out your eye.

There's nothing wrong with you (this is true, right?) or shooting a Mosin as a lefty, as I do. Nor will a scope help a poor shooting rifle. I think it just not accurate. How does the bore look? What ammo are you shooting (70's or 80's Russian spam can stuff, right)? Is the action tight? how about the barrel and handguards?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's worth repeating, scopes aren't necessary or good for 50 yds. Most of my Mosins will do 1-3" groups at that range.

One more thing - how's the trigger feel? Gritty?
    What about the recoil? Too much with that steel plate? Try a Pachmyr Declinator (sp?), it also helps the reach.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I read on another forum that they are sited in with their bayonets on, and shooting without it changes the barrel harmonics which can effect accuracy. This could be why you are having issues.:twocents:

Watched the "Top-Guns" show the other day dealing with the Mosin Nagant, among other things.

They said not only are the bayonets installed when they sighted them in, the Russians didn't even issue scabbards for them! The soldiers were NOT supposed to remove them! :n00b:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My guess is the soldiers COULD not remove them.... every one of them I've had is so damned tight I almost need a pair of vise grips to remove it.

This. If you ever try to install one, be ready to remove it. :xmad:

From What I understand, the Russians only removed freedom stabbers when in riding trucks and the like.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Mosin Nagant bores vary greatly. I have seen rifles that stick the bolt handle from over pressures with a .307 bore to rifles where a .312 slug almost rattles down the bore with no mallet needed. Unless you lead slug the bore and make a good measurement, you will be "shooting in the dark" as far as solving your problem.

Also, most people shooting the 7.62 X 54r are using third world combat ammo. Most of it is pretty poor and some of it is awful. In this day when a good quality bullet for reloading costs 50 cents, and even entry level Remington hunting ammo costs $1.50 per shot, the chance of getting good groups with 30 cent surplus ammo is pretty slim. If that is what you are using, you might want to try some Winchester or Remington ammo. (plus modern ammo is non corrosive if you want to keep your rifle for a long time)

If you have one with a loose bore, you can find .311 diameter bullets to reload that may be the answer to accuracy. Good Luck

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Ok so here is my issue, Im left handed (ok thats not really my issue) however, shoot most guns fairly well but have a lot of trouble getting my Mosin accurate at 50yds. Im talking a 12in group. Thats what my 10 year old neice could shout a BB gun at 50yds. So whats up? I know my reset is killing my accuracy but my eyes are good and I take my time. Any suggestions? By the way i have a Russian 91/30 in pristine condition.

So I looked through the treads and I only really found people talking about scopes but I want to be accurate with Irons first.

Have you tried shooting fron a bench rest or sandbags or anything? If it's still getting groups that big from a good rest, it's probably not your technique. Could be ammo, but more likely it's the bore or crown.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "My next question is how did those snipers ever hit anything at 100+ yds if the ammo was the issue? Or is the age of the ammo the problem now?"

Not every issued rifle is the same. I am sure that rifles for the best riflemen were hand selected to be sufficient for the better shooters. If a designated rifleman (or sniper) had a 3 MOA rifle and a man's chest is 18 inches wide, you can see that is "good enough" for quite some distance. Combat conditions are "Minute of man". We hear about all the amazing sniper shots that were successful. Just like general infantry, there are many shots that are misses also, we just do not take pictures of them and write books to document them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The Mosin Nagant bores vary greatly. I have seen rifles that stick the bolt handle from over pressures with a .307 bore to rifles where a .312 slug almost rattles down the bore with no mallet needed. Unless you lead slug the bore and make a good measurement, you will be "shooting in the dark" as far as solving your problem.

Also, most people shooting the 7.62 X 54r are using third world combat ammo. Most of it is pretty poor and some of it is awful. In this day when a good quality bullet for reloading costs 50 cents, and even entry level Remington hunting ammo costs $1.50 per shot, the chance of getting good groups with 30 cent surplus ammo is pretty slim. If that is what you are using, you might want to try some Winchester or Remington ammo. (plus modern ammo is non corrosive if you want to keep your rifle for a long time)

If you have one with a loose bore, you can find .311 diameter bullets to reload that may be the answer to accuracy. Good Luck
    30 cents?? What, are you made of money?? ;) The stuff I use is closer to 19 cents... :):

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Also a lefty here (not an excuse) and I have no problem reaching out and touching anything at 50yds using an M44/surplus Russian ammo. Considering that I can put all 5rds into a Pepsi can/remains of the can after the first shot, I'm fairly confident that I could get 3-4" groups on paper. My mosin is not counter bored, but is in immaculate condition. First chance I get I'll bench rest it and get a picture of the target.

superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Quick Update

So I went to the range this past Saturday and hit a fantastic group, HOWEVER I was a solid foot above bullseye.
    My elevation is set as low as possible and I had the front site buried.
    Is there an adjustment that I can make that I am unaware of?
    Again I am a novice when it comes to shooting so my technique is not perfect but I am consistent.
    I know I wasnt pulling either because I had two others people shoot it and we had identical results.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Quick Update

So I went to the range this past Saturday and hit a fantastic group, HOWEVER I was a solid foot above bullseye.
    My elevation is set as low as possible and I had the front site buried.
    Is there an adjustment that I can make that I am unaware of?
    Again I am a novice when it comes to shooting so my technique is not perfect but I am consistent.
    I know I wasnt pulling either because I had two others people shoot it and we had identical results.

You can raise the front sight. Most Mosins shoot high. I used wire heat shrink to raise the front sight on mine. That will bring down poi.

Top Bottom