• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Hey I was thinking of making a modification to my 91/30 and wanted your guys's (and gals) opinion. I am thinking of taking of the very front top and bottom stock off. Everything from the rear stock clamp forward would come off and I would shape the front of the stock and refinish the entire thing. I only have 90 dollars in the whole gun so I thought it would be a good first gun project. Any input and or pictures would be much appreciated and would help greatly since I am relatively new gun modifier (only 20).

Thanks for all input.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I have but I would really like to try my hand refinishing and modifying but if I screw it up that might be my final option.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I say have fun and show us photos when you are done!

Also type "accurizing a Mosin Nagant" into your search engine. While you have it apart you might as well study up on how to get it shooting as straight as possible.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have done it.....but there will be a lot of barrel sticking out in the air. Some of my current modified Mosins.

picture.php

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Really really nice guns and are the barrels shortened on some of those or do they just look short due to the lack of a normal length rifle?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Really really nice guns and are the barrels shortened on some of those or do they just look short due to the lack of a normal length rifle?

From L-R ....16 1/2".....20".....18"....18"....16 1/2" Bottom picture is 18"barrel
    Your barrel is 28 3/4"

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Ok thanks for the information. Which length do you recommend? For possibly a truck gun to hunt coyotes?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I haven't done any long range shooting with them. I like the 18 inch best just my preference. But keep in mind that if you cut the barrel, either you need to add a scope mount or a new front sight.
    If you go with the scope then the bolt handle has to be modified unless you go with a scout mount.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Mosins are alot of fun, Ive gotg a couple as of right now and plan on getting a few more in future. One of the best mods ive did would have to be the Fixing the sticky bolt mod. There are some vids on youtube that explain how to do it. That will make the bolt alot smoother to cycle. You can find alot of info if your google it. Good luck, have fun w/ it, and post some pics when your done!

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    Ive never built one, but a good friend of mine cut his stock down to free float the barrel and drilled the stock out to make a bullet stash. Then he pained the stock with OD green flat paint and Ive shot mine next to his and I will say it took a great deal of weight out, made it a little quicker feeling and in general looks like a great camp gun. But I never had the balls to hack up mine, even though I think its totally a good rifle to do it to. I just cant do it to my 2, one has the swing out bayonette and the other is a PE with the hex receiver and so on so its a little bit nice for spray painting and doing all that to. But yeah I think go for it and make it a bad mofo.

Top Bottom