• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Ok so I'm looking into buying a Mosin Nagant, ive heard some mixed reviews on them. Tell me your thoughts? whats a good price to pay? how reliable are they?

Give me your thoughts folks.
    I have two M91/30's. Tough as nails and accurate enough to hit a man, with authority, and knock his butt down out to 250 yards. At least mine are anyways.:twocents:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    The better question is why not? They are 100 bucks or less. Might as well get one just to get one.

But please...for the love of all things holy...like it for what it is. DO NOT claim you have some sort of revolutionary sniper rifle that you would choose over any rifle available for SHTF...its a tired, ridiculous idea.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Yes, get one. Also buy a sandbag, and some binos/spotting scope. Great guns to shoot, and clean, easy to maintain. Probably will want another right away to keep company.
    The bayonets are cool, can use for shish ka bobs and for visual deterring any Sunday pm door knockers. (just kidding) Don't baby the Mosins, they are built for abuse.
    They have a long history, mine is a 1928 model, still working fine!

snakeeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Traders Point
    Fun Gun

I got my 1941 made Izhevsk Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 at SOG back in 2009 for $70, and I totally love it. BTW, I just noticed that AIM is totally out of all types of these guns right now. Also back in 2009, I got a crate (880 rds.) of 1980s Hungarian made 147gr. rounds from AIM for $180. If you're of slight build like me, I recommend getting one of those purpose made recoil pads because the steel plate on the butt is pretty harsh. They are fun, powerful and cheap, plus ammo is still pretty cheap, and I'm confident my gun and ammo supply will provide me with a lifetime of shooting pleasure. :)

Last edited:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Get at least one before they are gone(or before I buy them all).
    n21jj7.jpg

More reliable than your mother (sorry mom) but they are.
    Almost all ammo for them is corrosive so flush the bore with soapy water first then clean as you normally would a good gun.

Here is the best buy on ammo I have found.
    880 rd crate - 7.62x54R Russian 1946-53 148 grain Light Ball Lead Core Magnetic FMJ Ammo | SGAmmo.com

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT get a Mosin!

First you will buy one and realize how much bang there is for the buck.

Then you will start to think how cool it is to have a rifle from around 1938 that likely saw action in WWII sitting in your cabinet.

Then you will want another.

Then you will start thinking about a carbine and pick up a T53 because it seems priced about right.

Then you will start looking at M44s because even though the T53 is just fine you really want a Ruskie.

Then you start wanting hex receivers to balance out your round ones.

Then you start looking into sniper models.

STEP AWAY NOW MY FRIEND. DO NOT BUY A MOSIN.

Reuben Cogburn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Get at least one before they are gone(or before I buy them all).
    n21jj7.jpg

More reliable than your mother (sorry mom) but they are.
    Almost all ammo for them is corrosive so flush the bore with soapy water first then clean as you normally would a good gun.

Here is the best buy on ammo I have found.
    880 rd crate - 7.62x54R Russian 1946-53 148 grain Light Ball Lead Core Magnetic FMJ Ammo | SGAmmo.com

I did not see this post until after making mine, but Shooting'IN illustrates my warning.

Put the bottle down man! Step away from the bar!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I love my 91/30. I won't claim to be able to do this every time, but just yesterday I made successful shots on a steel silhouette target at 300 and 400 yards, iron sights only. Any gun that can do that with a large cheap caliber and still cost less than a hundred bucks is well worth buying in my book. I don't care how ugly it is.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT get a Mosin!

First you will buy one and realize how much bang there is for the buck.

Then you will start to think how cool it is to have a rifle from around 1938 that likely saw action in WWII sitting in your cabinet.

Then you will want another.

Then you will start thinking about a carbine and pick up a T53 because it seems priced about right.

Then you will start looking at M44s because even though the T53 is just fine you really want a Ruskie.

Then you start wanting hex receivers to balance out your round ones.

Then you start looking into sniper models.

STEP AWAY NOW MY FRIEND. DO NOT BUY A MOSIN.

Now this is what I was afraid of! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one just because of this! You see, many yrs ago I purchased a K98. Liked it so well, I bought another! Then I decided I needed a Yugo M48 Mauser to go with my K's. Oh, but wait, I'm not finished. Then the sniper model started to speak to me. Now that's a sweet girl! Probably could never recover what I paid for her. Now everybody wants a Mosin. Mosin this and Mosin that. I have enough 8mm Mauser ammo that I will never go thru it all! And now ya'll expect me to start on the Mosin ammo? Jeesh!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Now this is what I was afraid of! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one just because of this! You see, many yrs ago I purchased a K98. Liked it so well, I bought another! Then I decided I needed a Yugo M48 Mauser to go with my K's. Oh, but wait, I'm not finished. Then the sniper model started to speak to me. Now that's a sweet girl! Probably could never recover what I paid for her. Now everybody wants a Mosin. Mosin this and Mosin that. I have enough 8mm Mauser ammo that I will never go thru it all! And now ya'll expect me to start on the Mosin ammo? Jeesh!

Come on, and drink the kool-aid. It's tasty, and got vodka in it! :alcoholic:

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Mine is a 1938 izzy model. I've had absolutely no malfunctions with mine. Ammunition is relatively cheap. You can buy 440 rd of 7.62x54r for 75 dollars from aim surplus. You should only pay around 100 to 125 dollars for a mosin in excellent condition. Mine was a hundred dollars as an earlier pre war model with brass fittings and it is in amazing condition for it's age. It's not a refurb either

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    Definitely do it! You will only find one problem. You can't shake the feeling of wanting another! (Oh, AGS Armament has them for $109.00)

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Mine is a 1938 izzy model. I've had absolutely no malfunctions with mine. Ammunition is relatively cheap. You can buy 440 rd of 7.62x54r for 75 dollars from aim surplus. You should only pay around 100 to 125 dollars for a mosin in excellent condition. Mine was a hundred dollars as an earlier pre war model with brass fittings and it is in amazing condition for it's age. It's not a refurb either

Don't bet on it, The Russians refurbed there Mosin Nagants a couple of times between WW2 and the late 70's. An original Russian MN is a rare bird to find, the closet eamples to be found are Finn captures, or SCW rifles.

Top Bottom