• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I went shooting today with a couple of friends. I brought my Mosin Nagant. They had never fired it before. Ken is about 5 foot 1 inch and Sam is about 6 feet tall. I shot it and they were surpised by the recoil. Ken said, "I don't think I am going to shoot it. I have to work tonight and I need my arm." He did give in and shot 3 rounds. That was enough for him. When I got home, my wife was in the room while I was changing clothes and saw my shoulder. She took a couple of pictures. Here they are. I only fired about 15 rounds. I will say that I was sitting on a picnic table straddling the seat. I say this because I have shot it before and it didn't leave a bruise. I don't know how those darn Russian soilders fired the Mosin Nagant all the time. I shot a Bushmaster AR-15 immediately after and the recoil was ridiculously light. Anyone else ever got a bruise from the Mosin Nagant?
    picture.php

picture.php

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I must have shot at least 100 rounds with my M44 on Sunday and I have no injuries to report. What kinda ammo, maybe this light ball I'm using ain't doing the job.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Soviets usually had about 18" thick of cold-weather gear on to pad their shoulders. :):

I wanna know why they didn't all go deaf from the 7.62 ammo!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Indeed. I shot mine for the first time yesterday afternoon. It was 60 degrees, I mean, I had to shoot something! I shot 20 rounds trying to get on target at 100 yards. Ended up with a six inch group and a six inch bruise to match. It looks beautiful (the rifle and the bruise) but it is gonna come out of the safe mainly as a conversation piece....

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    My cousin who is 6'4" and about 350 lbs of mostly muscle got an M44. He shot it and got a bruise. He was not an experienced shooter at the time.

I shot the rifle and thought it handled like a carbine. It was a blast to shoot. Goes boom! With a huge fireball. No bruising at all. I fired at least 25 rounds without any bruising or soreness.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    it happened to me the first time i put a box of ammo through my first mosin, after that i knew what to expect.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's more of a friendly shove than a kick if you hold it right. I think the problem is, most people don't hold it tight enough to their shoulder. I'm 5'10" 250 lbs so that helps too, but one of my work friends is like 34 feet tall and 98 lbs and he can handle it just fine too.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The first time i shot a mosin, it left a nice bruise. But after i figured out that I ineed to chuck it up pretty tight an kina rock with it havent had any bruises since( although you still know you shot it,lol)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've hunted with shotgun slugs since I was 12 or so, maybe that's why I never had any of these problems, I already had the technique down for shooting the kickers.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bruise easily... Always have. (No, I'm not a bleeder!)

When I shoot .30+ caliber rifles, I get bruised. Just par for the course for me.

-J-

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The best way to shoot is to keep it low an towards your armpit, not your shoulder, then extend the rifle about 1 to 2 inches away from you to avoid the recoil, attempting to make the rifle snug on your shoulder is a misconception, with a scoped rifle follow the same thing while keeping your eye as close to the scope as you can for a good sight picture.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The first time I shot mine, I looked like that. :): The more you shoot the less likely you are to get bruised too. I know this from taking karate and doing the damn arm conditioning. I miss that school!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You get a whole new point of view when shooting those old war horses. Depending on how much I shoot it My 98k will leave a little somthing to remember it by. But just remember brusies and scars are trophies for the intense! :D

Top Bottom