• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Agreed. I don't think a Mosin will bruise you if you hold it correctly.

It's more of a friendly shove than a kick if you hold it right. I think the problem is, most people don't hold it tight enough to their shoulder. ...

:yesway:

I would add ... dump the benchrest shooting. It's a battle rifle. Shoot it like one. Fix the bayonet and yell while charging downrange, firing and working the bolt.

The best way to shoot is to keep it low an towards your armpit, not your shoulder, then extend the rifle about 1 to 2 inches away from you to avoid the recoil, attempting to make the rifle snug on your shoulder is a misconception, with a scoped rifle follow the same thing while keeping your eye as close to the scope as you can for a good sight picture.

You, sir, a very bad boy. Someone is going to come across this post and believe it (since it is on the internet).

:stretcher:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Even my mossberg 695 with 3inch buck hammers don't bruise me that bad.

Did you not have a regular shirt on? Looks like the butt of the rifle pulled your skin more than bruised it.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The recoil isn't much folks. I'm not a badass, just grew up shooting slugs as did others here.

The biggest problem is the fit. If the LOP isn't right (and MNs have short LOP) you'll get more felt recoil as the rifle slams into your shoulder.

Hold it tight, as was mentioned, and you'll not feel much at all. I like the steel buttplates and do this.

However, I think I'll pick up one of the special-for-MN-made recoil pads, not for the recoil absorption, but for a longer LOP.

Being left-handed, though, this will hurt my ability to reach over the top to operate the bolt with my thumb.

Josh

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't shot my new unissued 91/30 I got at the 1500 yet, but I'll let you know what I think of the recoil after I go this thursday morning to Wilbur Wright. Also bruising depends on the person and the round count. the las time my 98K left a mark I fired nearly 100 rnds sighting in the iron sights at 200yrd getting ready for a Vintage rfle match. While I don't think I bruise easilly, I do swell up like a balloon after sugeries, now that HURTS! Doc says it's in my genes. :xmad:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have a numb shoulder...

I don't feel much shooting my Mosin, the pad on my ATI stock, albeit small, is much better than the factory metal plate... However, my shoulder is also desensitized from thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of 7.62NATO in my shoulder...:ar15:
    picture.php

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I LOLed at the first picture. I'm the guy that loads up 9 rounds of 1oz slugs into his 930SPX and empties it in about 3 seconds though....

My cousin took a video of me shooting my VZ today, cracked me up. Couldn't even tell I was shooting it. His 120lb ass behind the same rifle looked like me shooting 300 win mag!

I don't feel much shooting my Mosin, the pad on my ATI stock, albeit small, is much better than the factory metal plate... However, my shoulder is also desensitized from thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of 7.62NATO in my shoulder.

I hear you on that. I shoot A LOT of 12 gauge and .308.

Top Bottom