• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wellsmichael07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I am considering on building a custom mosin. I am interested in some opinions and advise on what parts and companies to go with on things such as stocks and barrels. My goal is to improve on accuracy As much as possible so any input will be very much appreciated. Any info on how to or what to do on this project is much appreciated.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    Try the surplus forums such as gunboards.com and surplusrifleforum.com
    There's a few guys out there who have spent some time accurizing their mosins. There's a member on the forums here who has accurized his mosin. I forget his name, so I hope he chimes in soon.
    I too will be doing this whenever I get the time and money. Having said all that, putting a new barrel on a mosin might not be cost-effective though.

Garand41

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Trafalgar
    The shorter carbines (M44 and M38) are not fun to shoot. Too much recoil for me. I would stick with the longer barreled 91-30.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I would get a decent 91/30 and shoot it as is, by the time you stick money into a new barrel and stock and anything else you want to do, you could buy a decent modern rifle.
    I love my Mosin, but it is honestly just for fun. If i want a tack driver, I reach for my AR or my Ruger M77 MKii in .270.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    M44s with the foldout bayonet outweigh the 91/30, so additional recoil observed when shooting a M44 is a myth. However, the M38 is quite a bit lighter and therefore with that metal butt-plate they are real shoulder-bruisers if not held properly. Both carbines are quite a bit louder than the 91/30 or the longer Mosins - typical for short-barreled high-powered rifles. The carbines will not be as accurate as the longer Mosins.

If you simply have to modify a Mosin, please choose one of the common ones. Otherwise it might be a big shame. Any of the round-receiver Izhevsk 91/30s from 1935-1943 (especially 42/43) are usually considered common refurbs as long as they are not MO marked, DDR marked, SCW marked, or ex-snipers.

If you're not already into Mosins, I would not pick it as an accuracy platform. Mosins can shoot sub-MOA - but it's definitely not an easy task to get them there. You will need to start with a pristine original bore as rebarreling a Mosin is completely impractical unless you are a gunsmith with the equipment.

Although manufacturers would like you to believe in instant fit stocks, by changing stocks you will be giving up the original metal crossbolt behind the action lug. If you change the stock and want some degree of accuracy/precision to remain, plan on pillar and glass bedding your Mosin (not for the faint of heart or for the impatient).

Target below was (personal best) using a Mosin with a scout scope and an original barrel, shooting well-developed handloads. Accurately shooting a Mosin takes much more practice and technique than does accurately shooting a new Remchester. Milsurp ammo will not get you there, and 7.62x54R is not cheap to load for. Now you have been warned....... So if you like a real challenge and something a bit different, go ahead and get a Mosin. Get a good bore and try handloading - you just might be surprised.

Good luck

100711_Tikka9130_282gramsVarget_3120Hornady_2910inOAL_2.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    M44s with the foldout bayonet outweigh the 91/30, so additional recoil observed when shooting a M44 is a myth. However, the M38 is quite a bit lighter and therefore with that metal butt-plate they are real shoulder-bruisers if not held properly. Both carbines are quite a bit louder than the 91/30 or the longer Mosins - typical for short-barreled high-powered rifles. The carbines will not be as accurate as the longer Mosins.
    I love my carbines, and especially my M38. I saw yours in the classifieds... :drool: If I wasn't about to be (in all likelihood) furloughed soon, I'd be on that like white on rice. That's a beauty! Mine's a little rough, but the price (free from INGO's own Richardraw16) was right, and it's still probably my favorite to shoot. For whatever reason, I seem to be more accurate with the carbines than I was with my 91/30(s). In fact at the moment I don't even have a 91/30 anymore. My M39 Finn is my only long Mosin now. :n00b:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    has anyone seen anything for a flash suppressor? i saw one on youtube. any experience to speak of?

Yes I used the cheap clamp on flash suppressor/muzzle break for one shot. Then I walked about 20yds down range to picked up the flash suppressor/muzzle break & my front sight. It cost me over $100 to get the front sight put back on my $99 Mosin.:xmad:

2pq2ux5.jpg

x3gttw.jpg

Unless you get one that screws on the end of the barrel I would not try it, just let it flash.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I love my carbines, and especially my M38. I saw yours in the classifieds... :drool: If I wasn't about to be (in all likelihood) furloughed soon, I'd be on that like white on rice. That's a beauty! Mine's a little rough, but the price (free from INGO's own Richardraw16) was right, and it's still probably my favorite to shoot. For whatever reason, I seem to be more accurate with the carbines than I was with my 91/30(s). In fact at the moment I don't even have a 91/30 anymore. My M39 Finn is my only long Mosin now. :n00b:

I remember when you got yours. So it ended up being a good one for you, it sounds like! Price was certainly right.

As far as Milsurp accuracy, the difference you are observing could be something as simple as a change in ammo. However, more likely is that you have been practicing shooting your Mosins and have improved a lot. As you say you don't have your 91/30s anymore to know for sure.

Best wishes, and that goes double if you get furloughed.

Les

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember when you got yours. So it ended up being a good one for you, it sounds like! Price was certainly right.

As far as Milsurp accuracy, the difference you are observing could be something as simple as a change in ammo. However, more likely is that you have been practicing shooting your Mosins and have improved a lot. As you say you don't have your 91/30s anymore to know for sure.

Best wishes, and that goes double if you get furloughed.

Les
    The accuracy thing may be psychological too to a degree. The carbines are more comfortable to me, so maybe that helps? I know in golf, if a club just "looks" good to you when you're addressing the ball, chances are you'll hit better than you might with another club that doesn't, even though that club that doesn't look as good to you is actually a higher quality club.

Thanks for the good wishes too. Hoping that if we are furloughed (which won't start until late April if it happens), that it doesn't last all the way through the end of September. Just need the politicians on both sides of the aisle to get off their collective @sses and get something worked out.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    After trying my hand at refinishing my type 53 I decided to do my Mosin. Also after doing some research and looking at some of the youtube vids. I plan on getting a Brass Stacker scope mount, a NcStar pistol LER 2-7x 32 scope, and some low rings. I figure i will not sell this and will probably pass it on to my kids may as well make it to my liking. Who knows maybe one day Indiana will allow 7.62x54r for hunting.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I am considering on building a custom mosin. I am interested in some opinions and advise on what parts and companies to go with on things such as stocks and barrels. My goal is to improve on accuracy As much as possible so any input will be very much appreciated. Any info on how to or what to do on this project is much appreciated.

I would get a decent 91/30 and shoot it as is, by the time you stick money into a new barrel and stock and anything else you want to do, you could buy a decent modern rifle.
    I love my Mosin, but it is honestly just for fun. If i want a tack driver, I reach for my AR or my Ruger M77 MKii in .270.

I really like my Mosin M91/30 as it is. But if you are looking for a fun upgrade project, why not? As long as you aren't doing it to make money (not because that would be wrong, but because it wouldn't be likely) I say knock your self out. It's not like the Mosins are rare or anything... Go for it and good luck!!

Top Bottom