• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    If the cosmoline hasn't yet been taken care of you will need to sweat it from the stock and soak all the metal in brake cleaner or some other cleaner to remove the cosmoline.

I have seen people try to use carburetor cleaner to try to clean a rifle and it ate the blueing off of it. not saying break cleaner has the same effect, just sharing my expearance

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    May want to play around with it, not sure if I want to scope it but if I did can that be done? Have seen mounts, scopes, etc. on the net. .

mosin20nagant20m4420spr20003.jpg

I have a scope mounted on mine, and not a scout scope mount. Very easy to do if you have any machining skills. I also had my bent bolt handle welded on, don't mess with the drilling and tapping (ATI bent bolt kit) on that modification IMO...

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Carb cleaner is great for parts that are "in the white", but I normally just use hot soapy water or boil the little pieces.

So far the only time I did the carb cleaner trick was on a bolt that had some really hard caked crud on it.

M-N's are a lot of fun and not too hard to tinker with. That surplus forum listed above also has a lot of good info on accurizing one.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    my 80$ nagant, yeee haww

And i promised my self no more Nagant Post

Here is my 80 dollar M44 It was dirty as all get out, great barrel very little rust The condition of the stock was almost black.
    I use a limbsaver recoil pad for all day shooting..
    No scope

Against popular rule I restored it to factory condition color and all with the exception of not using shellac, No this thing wasn't dipped in urathane either lol..
    I was very particular with this project and detailed. When sanding the stock all arsenal marks are left intact and clear. Dinged edges were taken out and everything was done proper.

I used 3 stains including a mix of colonial red, red sodona, maple
    The pic looks alittle light but its reflective of deep clean reddish brown,, right out of the factory Museum grade M44 Nagant:rockwoot:
    OHHH MAAN this thing shoots 100% i can take out skeets on a bank at 180 yards
    easy after a warm up. Im a friggin Buffallo Bill with this thing and thats NO lie. at 125 yards i can kill a fly mounted on the target:laugh: here are some pics.

S50304892.jpg

S5030378.jpg

S5030486.jpg
    S5030487.jpg

S5030488.jpg
    S5030485.jpg
    S5030379.jpg

Last edited:

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    Gave $120 for my 91/30 numbers matching a year or so ago.
    Recoil? I shoot it with a t-shirt and the steel plate in the summer at the range. Not as bad as 3 inch slugs and a pad to me. A day at the range with the both of them and I can feel a bit of soreness the next day, but no bruising. I've slept wrong before that caused more soreness.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mosins are wonderful rifles that have a great history behind them. I would encourage you to seek another rifle if you are wanting to put a scope on one. Drilling or changing anything on these rifles will greatly decrease their value.

The recoil of a Mosin is higher than a Garand, but I believe mostly due to the fact that the Garand is a semiautomatic and the recoil gets absorbed by the SA mechanism. The Mosin is bolt action so all of the force goes either out the muzzle or into your shoulder. After you fire it a bit you should get used to it pretty well. I don't have a problem w/ mine.

All of the other posts are 100% spot on regarding value. An average Mosin is normally less than $125. A rarer Mosin will bring a higher price. Many factors can go into determining what makes it rare. Here is a good link:

7.62x54r.net

I use almost all military surplus ammo that is corrosive. There is absolutely no problem with this as long as you clean the rifle after firing with something that will neutralize the salts. I use WWII RBC.

I hope you find one that you can enjoy!

Regards,

Doug

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    If after you purchase one and you get and you find yourself thinking that it could possibly spontaneously clone itself in your safe, I would highly suggest a C&R license. You could find yourself first in line in being able to get a rare one online.

It pains me to know that if I had my C&R license a couple years ago I could have had a safe full of M44s at 69-79$ each plus shipping right now.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Go to the ATF site, request the forms. Wait. Fill out forms. Send in with money. Wait.

Once you get it, you have keep a disposition log for every C&R weapon you buy, sell, or trade for as long as you hold the license. (C&R weapons from before the licensing date don't need to be on the log).

The main advantage of the C&R FFL is it allows you buy C&R rifles or pistols interstate, so you can order online from a number of vendors, or buy off of the surplus firearm sites... and you can also get a nice discount from a lot of the suppliers like Brownell's.

No seriously, go here:
    ATF Online - Forms - ATF F 5310.16 Instructions
    Then you;ll get the notice that they won't let you download it and you have to order it along with fingerprint cards.... which guess what... you don't need to do for an 03 FFL. LOL

So go here:
    Distribution Center Order Form

And order "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] F 5310.16 (F7CR)"

That'll get you started. It takes a while for them to get around to sending the forms to you, but once you get it, you just need to carefully follow their directions, send a copy to the ATF and a copy to your local Chief LEO.

It's been a while since I did it, so I hope if I'm leaving something out, the others will chime in.
    [/FONT]

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Orion (formerly Kieslers) in Clarksville has surplus russian ammo for $5.80/20 rds. If you aren't in this area, I'm sure any gun shop that sells surplus guns would also carry the ammo. I have also seen it for about this price on Cheaperthandirt.com.

Top Bottom