• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wraymusicman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I work in a sporting goods store, and we sell them all day long for $100. With the ammo, I might go as high as $150, but that would be the top end. Good luck!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You cannot have more fun than a rifle that emits flames like this...:ar15:

picture.php

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    OK of the Mosin Rifles I take it the M44 is one of the better ones? I may get one at the 1500 if they are that cheap. Gonna check the Pawn shop tomorrow as well.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    OK of the Mosin Rifles I take it the M44 is one of the better ones? I may get one at the 1500 if they are that cheap. Gonna check the Pawn shop tomorrow as well.

I wouldnt know if it is one of the better ones. I personally prefer it because I have just come to really like carbines. I have a 1945 carbine that is counter-bored and a 1948 that isnt and those two shoot significantly different.
    A M44 should really be in your collection if you like Mosins just because its another member of the family and a blast to shoot. I am still looking to add a dragoon, M38, and Finn to my collection plus whatever on 91/30s in the future.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I wouldnt know if it is one of the better ones. I personally prefer it because I have just come to really like carbines. I have a 1945 carbine that is counter-bored and a 1948 that isnt and those two shoot significantly different.
    A M44 should really be in your collection if you like Mosins just because its another member of the family and a blast to shoot. I am still looking to add a dragoon, M38, and Finn to my collection plus whatever on 91/30s in the future.

I would love to have one. Even if i never shoot it, it would still be cool to have one. The history behind them is cool. Never Know how many Nazis were skewered with one either! :D I would love to get a scope mount setup on it as well as a Butt pad because from what I hear they kick pretty good and shoot a nice fireball.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The M44 is shorter and with a mounted, folding bayonet. The 91/30 is longer and has a detachable bayo, while the M38 is almost identical to the M44, but without the bayo.

M38s are very difficult to find. M44s are becoming more difficult, as are 91/30s, but the latter can still be found reasonably inexpensively. ($80 or so, plus shipping, with a C&R license.)

They are at heart, all the same rifle, though each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    The M44 is shorter and with a mounted, folding bayonet. The 91/30 is longer and has a detachable bayo, while the M38 is almost identical to the M44, but without the bayo.

M38s are very difficult to find. M44s are becoming more difficult, as are 91/30s, but the latter can still be found reasonably inexpensively. ($80 or so, plus shipping, with a C&R license.)

They are at heart, all the same rifle, though each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks. Sure does Help. I really like the look of the M44 myself. I don't like really long rifles. That said, As cheap as they are I will probably stock pile a few of them! :D

What should I look for in them. Are there any signs of a crappy one thats been rode hard and put up wet?

oucme69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    indianapolis
    Yes be sure to get a pad I shot 10th shots threw mine with steel but plate in a tee shirt and decided I need a but pad cause it liked to liked my sholder

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Was offered a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54, real nice, with 150rnds and an ammo can. Was wondering what a good price would be. Also, have never shot one, what's the recoil like? May want to play around with it, not sure if I want to scope it but if I did can that be done? Have seen mounts, scopes, etc. on the net. Gun looks cool though. I beleive it's the Russian model with the shorter barrel.
    I would say 150 for a fair price.You need to talk to Grumpe on how to change a $100 rifle into a $450 dollar rifle.She has an M38 with a PSO scope on it.A real PSO scope will run 200-300 dollars pretty easy,and a gunsmith will be needed to install it.Also you will need a bent bold for another 60 dollars or so(for a decent one).I tried one of the scout scopes that replace the front sight,save your money they will not hold a zero at all.If you really want a scope go the PSO route.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    I was in Dunham's in Richmond today they are having a two day sale Sunday and Monday. 91/30-89.99 , laminated for 109.99 . Just a few weeks ago they had the same deal for 74.99 . I think the prices are going up on Mosin's.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I tried one of the scout scopes that replace the front sight,save your money they will not hold a zero at all.If you really want a scope go the PSO route.

Very true if you're using one of the el cheapos. A good scout mount like the Darrell's mentioned above or the S&K will be rock solid. I've got one of each and they don't move if installed properly.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The 91/30's have a dovetail under the rear sight. It is, supposedly, close enough to the 7/8 dovetail on .22 rimfires that you can use good quality .22 rings to mount a scout scope directly to the barrel.
    I know the 44's do not have the dovetail and I think the 38's don't have it.

Doug

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Yes be sure to get a pad I shot 10th shots threw mine with steel but plate in a tee shirt and decided I need a but pad cause it liked to liked my sholder
    I dont use a pad on mine. Its got a signifigant kick but not THAT bad. I have an NEF Pardner single shot 12ga. Now THATS some recoil. Without a pad,my shoulder had a bruise on it the size of a dinner plate from 2 slugs and 4 3" magnum shells of 00 buck shot. (the Mosin hurt like heck after shooting the shotgun though)I fired the two of the buckshot,then two slugs,then some more buckshot and the sixth shell hurt so bad it felt like my shoulder was being torn off (I was afraid I had caused some sort of serious damage) I stopped at that point and bought a recoil pad. Now THATS recoil. (I cant imagine what it would have been like if I had one of the 10ga barrels or one chambered for the 3 -/2" shells.)

Agan_08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Salem/Muncie
    A Mosin's recoil really isn't bad, the weight of the gun absorbs quite a bit. The only thing that bothers me is that the butt of the stock is so small. You have to be a little careful about how you place it on your shoulder.

And I second that about single shot shotguns, they're brutal.

Top Bottom