• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Just finding more about the mosin nagants .. I thought about one but bought a SKS first and a deer gun so now I am ready to begin this quest.
    I am going to try to find one to buy one and the ones I found people are asking 250-300 and up for a well used rifle..and have not made the magic 50 post level so I can contact folks here about buying one.
    I have read some posts and just for a beginner like me is there a model/version that I would want... or any that I should stay away from. Thanks. Tim

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Try Classic, or Aim, or J&G. They are your best bet if you want to deal with a dealer on line. Try Gunbroker if you like auctions, and try Bradis if you want to hold it in your hands before you purchase it.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I would wait a bit. The prices are coming down. I saw somplace on gun-deals.com that had them for 119. As for what to get, Tula marked has better collecting value. There is some question regarding hex or round receiver. Just buy the one you like and you wont be sorry.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    The Mosin Nagant model 91/30 is fairly common right now in gun shops. Some on line dealers have them for about $130. Most of these that are currently available have been refurbed at the arsenal and look great.
    Some on-line dealers have also got the model 44 carbine in stock. This is the model with a folding bayonet, and is a blast to shoot!
    Another common version right now is the Chinese T-53. It's the same as the Russian 44, but they are usually rode hard and put up wet.
    Keep looking around your local shops, and you will stumble on a good buy.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Dunaham's in Richmond had some nice looking ones yesterday for $129.

Dunaham's & MC Sports tends to have them reasonably priced. If you have either store in your area you might want to give them a call to see if they have any.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have 2 dunhams around me and the distribution warehouse...I did not see any rifles.. in Marion pretty bare of everything but I did buy 7.62x54r.. on sale .. thats not putting the cart before the horse is it.. ammo no gun.. at least its not like most of us and a gun with little to no ammo:( . I will look at some of the sites you guys listed and still pecking away at the 50 mark so maybe I could find one at the site.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Just finding more about the mosin nagants .. I thought about one but bought a SKS first and a deer gun so now I am ready to begin this quest.
    I am going to try to find one to buy one and the ones I found people are asking 250-300 and up for a well used rifle..and have not made the magic 50 post level so I can contact folks here about buying one.
    I have read some posts and just for a beginner like me is there a model/version that I would want... or any that I should stay away from. Thanks. Tim
    They are asking way too much for their Mosin Nagants because they are riding the current wave of overpricing on most anything gun related right now. Most Model 91/30's go for between 100-150 dollars.:twocents:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    the marion dunhams had no clue about if and when they would get ammo or any guns in.. they thought muncie store would have some rifles in. I do remember seeing them here and there... decent price but did not know if I was buying a good one or there was anything else I should look for. Thanks

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have 2 dunhams around me and the distribution warehouse...I did not see any rifles.. in Marion pretty bare of everything but I did buy 7.62x54r.. on sale .. thats not putting the cart before the horse is it.. ammo no gun.. at least its not like most of us and a gun with little to no ammo:( . I will look at some of the sites you guys listed and still pecking away at the 50 mark so maybe I could find one at the site.

You might call and ask them if they have any. Sometimes they have the one in the display case but the ones they would give you are in the box in the back. When my son got his at MC Sports in Muncie it was like that.

rogerdt99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    If you are ever down in the southern part of the state, I highly recommend stopping in and seeing Rick at Falls City Firearms in Clarksville. His is not your typical gun shop, but it is a milsurp collectors dream shop. He is very knowledgeable and usually has several of the Mosin Nagant variants on hand. Good luck in your search.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    thanks.. I know nothing about them.. not a collector just was impressed with what I heard and was curious about how to neuter one so it does not cross breed with my sks, but it might be kind a cool hybrid. I heard these things multiply like gremlins;)
    Seriously I was looking for a larger bolt action and this one is pretty cool and the ammo seems plentiful . I already bought a spam can and am waiting on the gun to complete the circle and see where this goes.. I saw a few with monte carlo stocks and thought that looked cool.. but I like "stock" and figure who ever designed these knew a whole bunch more about guns than I ever would. So my journey has begun and THANKS to all that have posted and I have learned much.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I could be wrong, and I hope I am as I am relatively new to the Mosinitis disease, but they might be starting to dry up... as for purchasing one, I've had 2 experiences with it. First one came from Blythe's in Griffith. Basic run-of-the-mill 1943 Tula 91/30. good steel, decent bore, decent stock all matching numbers except the bayonet. After tax, about $140 out the door. Second one came from Cabela's in Hammond. 1943 Izhevsk ex-sniper.. all matching numbers including bayonet (learned later that it was force matched) good steel, excellent bore, decent stock. $160 after tax... Went to Cabela's after coming up dry for a few weeks at Blythe's.

Learn what to look for before you go. These rifles, if you take care of em, will give you a trusty shooter for many many years to come...

Top Bottom