• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My M44 kicks about the same as my Benelli M3, i.e. not that much.

I should mention that's with the yellow tip heavy ball ammo that has a bit stronger kick than the silver tip LPS stuff most people have.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Out after dark, shoot a Mosin for some fireball light. :0

First time I ever shot a Mosin, there was some fellows down the line shooting 22's without hearing protection. I called down to them and said "You may want to put in some earplugs." All I received was some blank stares. Ok, here we go. Fired off two shots, I see out of the corner of my eye, 5 guys scrambling for their range bags and hear one exclaim "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT". It was great.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I dont know what ammo it was, it was in a box with chinese writing, but that stuff actually hurt. It was a drastic difference between that and any commie bloc i've shot.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Out after dark, shoot a Mosin for some fireball light. :0

First time I ever shot a Mosin, there was some fellows down the line shooting 22's without hearing protection. I called down to them and said "You may want to put in some earplugs." All I received was some blank stares. Ok, here we go. Fired off two shots, I see out of the corner of my eye, 5 guys scrambling for their range bags and hear one exclaim "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT". It was great.

Hahah! Whenever i'm pulling up to atterbury (which is rare), you can hear the mosins from about 1/2 a mile away, going 50mph with the wind coming through the windows. It is beyond me how those crazy russian's and chinese guys shot these things without hearing protection war. Besides some extremely high cal rifles, m44's are the loudest thing's I've ever heard/felt.

One time my 3 buddies (to my left) and I all decided to empty an entire mag at once, one with a 9mm ruger, a 6.5 AR, a berg 500, and my mosin... I didn't realize my hearing protection wasn't in 100%. The mosin was so loud I didn't even notice while shooting, but when it stopped, I couldn't hear a thing out of my right ear, but ringing for about 2 months. Not good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hahah! Whenever i'm pulling up to atterbury (which is rare), you can hear the mosins from about 1/2 a mile away, going 50mph with the wind coming through the windows. It is beyond me how those crazy russian's and chinese guys shot these things without hearing protection war. Besides some extremely high cal rifles, m44's are the loudest thing's I've ever heard/felt.

One time my 3 buddies (to my left) and I all decided to empty an entire mag at once, one with a 9mm ruger, a 6.5 AR, a berg 500, and my mosin... I didn't realize my hearing protection wasn't in 100%. The mosin was so loud I didn't even notice while shooting, but when it stopped, I couldn't hear a thing out of my right ear, but ringing for about 2 months. Not good.

Once in awhile, I like to shoot my Mosins (and Mausers, and the Garand) without hearing protection just to "feel" what it must have been like. I will say that it's more tolerable behind the rifle than it is to be next to someone that's shooting one! I can't imagine what it would have been like with hundreds of them going off all around you.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Once in awhile, I like to shoot my Mosins (and Mausers, and the Garand) without hearing protection just to "feel" what it must have been like. I will say that it's more tolerable behind the rifle than it is to be next to someone that's shooting one! I can't imagine what it would have been like with hundreds of them going off all around you.

Don't do it!!! Not worth it!! Ouch!!!

I remember seeing news video once of celebratory gunfire in some Arab country after some rebels rememberssucceeded in whatever the US had decided to support them in. idiot fired off a few rounds into the air out of his AK with the muzzle about 6" away from his buddies ear. Sure made him duck in a hurry!!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't do it!!! Not worth it!! Ouch!!!

I remember seeing news video once of celebratory gunfire in some Arab country after some rebels rememberssucceeded in whatever the US had decided to support them in. idiot fired off a few rounds into the air out of his AK with the muzzle about 6" away from his buddies ear. Sure made him duck in a hurry!!

Eh? What's that?? :): I don't do it often, and never for more than a couple of shots. It's a wonder that all those guys weren't stone deaf after the war.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've put a lot of rounds through a Mosin over the years, and the recoil has never been an issue. Maybe some of you guys should try taping a spare Maxi pad to the butt of the stock :laugh: If you think the Mosin is bad, I've got a single shot, full choke 10 gauge with magnum loads you need to try.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Me and another INGOer shot an "Old soldiers match" and I thought the 91 to be very tolerable as long as you shoulder it well. The M44 while handy and just cool is too punishing. Mausers are the worst of the lot in my opinion...8mm is a B_ _ _ _!!!!

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Mosins (like many rifles) are on the upper end of the comfort level for shooting without flinching. 15Ft/lb recoil energy and 10ft/sec recoil velocity. There are many that are far worse. They can be easily identified in this table.

ifle Recoil Table

Les

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    how old are you? no offense lol, but my father is 63 and hates my mosin's. The recoil isn't bad, but it's significantly more than my remi vtr .308. I'm 24, 5'10, 175lbs and I can shoot about 60rds before I'm tired of it, and I don't have a pad, straight metal baby. They do kick like a damn mule, but its not horrible. If you're not use to high recoil rifle's, your in for a first round surprise lol.

The m38 will punch quite a bit more than the 91/30.

More than anything though, the sonic boom of it is most startling than anything, if you've never shot one before. I kid you not when I say, at beech grove firearms, it will take cracked paint off the ceiling, and everyone around you will come investigate what dynamite just went off inside the building. After awhile I've noticed people's fascination turns to annoyance. You can see the guy's laser next to you jump whenever it goes off lmfao!

*Edit, I'm sorry, I didnt ready all the way through, you already shot it haha!
    I`m also 63, and after shooting 20 or so rounds, my shoulder was black and blue for a week. You are quite a bit younger than him and me, and that makes a world of difference. That being said, I love my Mosin, I just don't shoot her much. :)

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I`m also 63, and after shooting 20 or so rounds, my shoulder was black and blue for a week. You are quite a bit younger than him and me, and that makes a world of difference. That being said, I love my Mosin, I just don't shoot her much. :)

Haha. He love's shooting my precision .308, but it does have a pretty decent pad on it. I don't blame him though. He's left handed and has heart issues. After the 2nd shot he put it down, and said if he wanted to live for the next 5 min, he better stop!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

You can expect some hearing aids in the future my friend hahaha. My dad was in the last few months of nam, and has to have them just from 5.56... given, he probably had 1000's of rds going off by his face all the time, some of which were the m60, and mortars hah

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    My Mosins are good shooters and I don't find their kick to be terrible, you've just got to shoulder them good and proper. Nothing beats the thunder and fireball of an M38/M44/T53. My Benelli SuperNova tactical with 3" slugs is the hardest kicking thing I have. Shooting slugs out of that gun is downright painful.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    In appleseed we have a instructor named Barbie. she is about 100 lbs soaking wet. she usually brings a mosin out to atterbury and shoots it the whole day. never seems to be a problem for her :dunno:

Top Bottom