• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I took the Mosin out to the range today and at 50 yards it was shooting about 3.5" high and about 2.5-3" to the right. From what I have seen online that is pretty common, but what can I do to rectify this besides adding a scope?

Thanks!

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    MN sight adjustment

If it is a 91/30 or M44 the front sight should drift right or left unless it is already moved as far as it will without falling off. In my experience you may need to get medieval on it to get it to budge! If it is striking the target too far right, drift the front sight right to move the strike left. To lower the impact you need to raise the front sight. In the MN world this means adding a taller front sight. You might find one someplace to buy, but most folks just improvise by using heat shrink tubing or other tubular object that is the correct length for the distance you are shooting.
    :ingo:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    For the front sight you can also find sight adjustment tools on eBay for usually around $20 that allow drift adjustment using a thumbscrew, much better than tapping and possibly moving it too far if it moves more than you expect... Some have a thumbscrew on both sides so you can set a "stop".

Something like this for a cheaper one:
    [ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/Soviet-Mosin-Nagant-91-30-front-sight-adjusting-tool-/300589358156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc859c4c]Soviet Mosin Nagant 91/30 front sight adjusting tool | eBay[/ame]

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If it is a 91/30 or M44 the front sight should drift right or left unless it is already moved as far as it will without falling off. In my experience you may need to get medieval on it to get it to budge! If it is striking the target too far right, drift the front sight right to move the strike left. To lower the impact you need to raise the front sight. In the MN world this means adding a taller front sight. You might find one someplace to buy, but most folks just improvise by using heat shrink tubing or other tubular object that is the correct length for the distance you are shooting.
    :ingo:
    You want to move the front sight in the OPPOSITE direction that you want the bullet to go.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Paperboy

Is that statement a question? Yes I choose different words but front sight moved opposite of desired movement of bullet strike (i.e. if your shooting right move the front sight right to move bullet impact left.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys, very helpful information. Sorry for the confusion, I did accidentally put left instead of right in the title. So seeing as how I want the impact about 2.5-3" to the left I would drift the front sight to the right, correct? I had never though about the height increase of the front sight with heatsink tubing to bring the bullet impact lower, awesome advice. Thanks again!

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is that statement a question? Yes I choose different words but front sight moved opposite of desired movement of bullet strike (i.e. if your shooting right move the front sight right to move bullet impact left.

^this^ Front sight should be moved in the same direction. IE: if the bullet is impacting right, you drift the sight to the right. If the bullet is impacting left, you drift the sight to the left.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I still need to sight my 91/59 in. Of course they do not make a sight tool for that model, at least I have not seen one. Guess I'll do the whole punch and hammer number.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I took the Mosin out to the range today and at 50 yards it was shooting about 3.5" high and about 2.5-3" to the right. From what I have seen online that is pretty common, but what can I do to rectify this besides adding a scope?

Thanks!
    Try privi ammo also if its a outdoor range take wind into account. Adding a scope might make it worse if you can't adjust it. Try to find a new front dovetail sight or try adujusting it or adjusting the rear sight.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I solve the shooting High problem by simply lowering the front sight post till it is below the rear "V" notch. Mine still shoots to the right but I used Kentucky windage to correct that. After cleaning the rifle on Monday I noticed that my fron post seems to be a little bent and also the rear sight seems to be cocked to 10 & 4 insted of 9 & 3 O'clock. Going to gently persuade them back into alignment once I verify exactly how off the sem to be. Check my target at 50 yards in my thread My Mosin Project.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    try shooting with affixed bayonet, even if you miss you can still stab the target at 50 yards, Mosins are sighted with be bayonet affixed, and shooting without it affects barrel harmonics and hurts accuracy. alot of mosin's sights are measured in Arshins (sp) not yards or meters. 1 Arshin (sp) = 28" . They switched to meters at some point, not sure what year but im thinking it was during wartime

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Mojo rear sight for MN

You can throw money at the Mosin Nagant to solve sighting in problems, but soon you will surpass what you paid for the weapon in postage fees. Mojo makes a replacement rear sight which fits right into the old base and gives you windage adjustment. It just seems appropriate with these old warhorses to batter them into fighting shape with your bare hands the way a Russian grunt would have done.:)

Top Bottom