• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Anybody have any suggestions on how to tiger stripe my Mosin. I have a synthetic stock on it. I would never paint an original wood stock. I am trying to decide whether to paint the barrel as well or just the stock. Leaning towards stock only for money/history purposes. I want to do just orange and the stock is black so I feel it would be a little cheaper that way.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Easy to do.
    Beater 700 and a rattle can tiger stripe on factory synth. Flat blacked the stock, then after dry made the stripes from masking tape, tore the edges for better effect (layer to make stripes like you want). Shoot the major other color and then frost stripes with the highlight color. Cover with matte clear.

I degreased the stock before I painted it.

picture.php

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Now I am only wanting to do 2 colors black and orange. If the stock is already black do you think I need to paint it black again?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dunno, some stocks feel slick so I sand them lightly-they look better after a base coat of black.

I always degrease and flat black the stock, but then I'm after a camo job and want my black to have the same sheen -or lack of it- as the other colors.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Good point. I have a Arisaka that was rechambered for the .243 Winchester, and now it has feeding problems and has since I have owned it so I picked up a Mosin at Bradis and am going to start using that for coyote hunting.

Top Bottom