• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Is it normal to counterbore ~3/4" into the muzzle? Seems kinda excessive to me.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Can be, yes.

If you want to talk accuracy, it will be pretty variable - the Soviets were in the mode of building millions of rifles quickly and getting them into the hands of millions of peasant soldiers. The Finns on the other hand knew they had to rely on accuracy, so a Finn'd Mosin will rank right up there with a Swiss K31.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Since I've given up on actually finding one in stock anywhere. I'm bidding on an M44 on gunbroker that's sitting at $145 (not gonna tell you my max bid :D)

Probably won't win it though

Also, semi related, just bought one of those Nagant revolvers for $95 on AIM.

One of my 91/30s has a quarter inch of the firing pin spring missing and it still works.

kricket37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info everyone. I thought this might hold my spending until I can get the funds for a CMP M1 or my Rem 700. I will keep my eyes peeled at the local gun shops and the forums.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Go to S.O.G. or another distributor and buy the finnish mosin. I love my russians they are neat but if I want to shoot small things far off I grab the finnish. Actually buy both then you can really appreciate the finnish quality.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Is it normal to counterbore ~3/4" into the muzzle? Seems kinda excessive to me.

They are counterbored because of excessive wear in the rifleing at the end of the the barrel. I had heard this was caused by the way they cleaned it in the field. I would rather not buy a counterbored Mosin.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    So how accurate are they at say 100 yards, or 200 yards?

They are very accurate out to 300yds (longest range I have to shoot) I have seen videos of people shooting them a lot farther.
    I just picked up my first 91/30 about a week ago and aside from a small sight adjustment it is dead on. And I have a few M44s & M38s, and this 91/30 doesn't kick any where rear as bad as the carbine versions.

1z1tyz8.jpg

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Who has them for that price? Kiesler's/Orion Arms? I'll be back down south tomorrow and might check them out.

They're in the $100 range at Kieslers. 111 Guns in Louisville has them for $89 and they sent me an email saying they were putting a batch of new ones out today. They're off Hurstbourne Lane.

Top Bottom