• ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Are they all much of a muchness?

My LGS has them for $129.99. Seems a tad expensive.

I want one. Just for the hell of it.

Should I look out for anything in particular? They have a case of them just oozing in cosmoline.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    personally i'm not a fan. yeah i've shot some and they are fun.. but so is my ar and my ak and i didn't have to play with all the BS and cosmoline trouble..

they're alot like blondes.. some love them and some don't want anything to do with them.
    so it's a personal thing if you've got the time to play and clean it up, go for it and enjoy it!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Should I look out for anything in particular? They have a case of them just oozing in cosmoline.
    I own two M91/30's, and love them both. Just make sure you check out the bore before you buy. Both of mine I bought at Dunham's and took a cleaning rod with patch and a bore light with me. :patriot:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    To me the fact that I own a piece of WWII history is well worth the $150 I paid for mine. It's a hex receiver and in nice condition. I don't think I'll buy another one but it's a cool rifle.:twocents:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I hate them so much, I have bought a few dozen of them just so other unfortunate souls won't have to go through the heart ache they cause. And don't even get me started on the M44 variants!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like them so much I've been pestering my buddy to get one himself. I've just about got another guy that I work with talked into getting one. Even directed him to 7.62x54.net so he could find out more about them.

I like that they're almost elegant in their simplicity. I also like that they make a really big boom (or a fireball for the M38/M44 variants), reasonably accurate, and cheap to feed. I like the history behind them too. :)

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    After I get my ar built and get my suppressors I have every intention of finding THE mosin nagant. I want a very specific one and I know it might be hard to find but I will and when I do..... As stated earlier.... BooOOOM!

john348

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hicksville OH
    I bought one of these from Buds gun shop when i ordered something else,
    a pop up window came and offered them for $99
    How can you go wrong with that, worst case it will make a good crow bar!
    they kick like a mule :D

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    Seriously though... they are fun guns. I have a few other firearms I like shooting more than my mosins, but I still enjoy shooting them regularly. I own 2 and wish I had more. You are buying a peice of WW2 history for $120. Why would you say no to that?
    Accuracy isn't too bad. My worst one will still do 5-6" groups @ 100 yd. Other one will do 3-4" with the right surplus ammo. Search the forum and you'll find other mosin owners who have got groups down to 2" with milsurp ammo just by doing a trigger job and adding a scope.

personally, I suggest buying several of them, and finding which one shoots the best. Keep it and sell the rest. Buy a few cases of ammo, and start scaring you're neighbors with all the loud "BOOM"s.

To me its a no brainer - buy one! Better yet, buy a dozen! And don't forget to stock up on ammo too.

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I love my mosin, I bought mine at a gun show and I got the gun, bayonet, sling, tool kit, and oil can all for $133 If it comes with all that for $129 I would say go for it. They are really fun guns to shoot, and like everyone keeps saying, your getting a piece of history.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

In 91/30 refurbs, my advice is to wait to find a pristine bore - but that's too much work for most people. The best indicator of bore/chamber condition is not the "bullet" test. I first remove the bolt and look at the chamber from the receiver end while holding up to the light.

• Bore should look like a mirror
    • You want to see sharply defined lands (square) going forward from the chamber and you want to be able to tell exactly where they start.
    • Lands on muzzle end should be square and sharply defined, even at the crown.

I have 12 Mosins that pass these tests (none are 91/30 refurbs) and 1 that doesn't pass (a 91/30 refurb). But the 91/30 refurb has a beautiful laminated stock and 100% blueing. The 91/30 was $129 The rest cost at least $200, and quite a few much more than that. The 91/30 is a pain to clean after shooting and the others are a piece of cake to clean. I'm still looking for that 91/30 with pristine bore.

The quickest way (not cheapest way) to find a Mosin with an excellent bore is to look at Finnish M39's that have not been shot since import. At least you know what you are looking for in a 91/30 bore after that.

Les

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    In 91/30 refurbs, my advice is to wait to find a pristine bore - but that's too much work for most people. The best indicator of bore/chamber condition is not the "bullet" test. I first remove the bolt and look at the chamber from the receiver end while holding up to the light.

• Bore should look like a mirror
    • You want to see sharply defined lands (square) going forward from the chamber and you want to be able to tell exactly where they start.
    • Lands on muzzle end should be square and sharply defined, even at the crown.

I have 12 Mosins that pass these tests (none are 91/30 refurbs) and 1 that doesn't pass (a 91/30 refurb). But the 91/30 refurb has a beautiful laminated stock and 100% blueing. The 91/30 was $129 The rest cost at least $200, and quite a few much more than that. The 91/30 is a pain to clean after shooting and the others are a piece of cake to clean. I'm still looking for that 91/30 with pristine bore.

The quickest way (not cheapest way) to find a Mosin with an excellent bore is to look at Finnish M39's that have not been shot since import. At least you know what you are looking for in a 91/30 bore after that.

Les

Thank you :)

I'll take a look at the ones at my LGS and see if any have decent bores.

Top Bottom