• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have bought/traded for a few mosins lately and I have never really messed with them so I wanted someone to take a look at them before I took them out. With some looking, USDS suggested that I get ahold of Mosinguy. I did and I was impressed. He took the rifles, broke them down, inspected them, cleaned them and reassembled them. While he was at it, he is kinda of history buff with these and started to look over all the markings and stamps on them. On the last one I had him do, he discovered that it was an original 1943 that wasn't rearsenaled. He figured out that it was made at a factory that was on the move do to the Germans approaching from the West. He also figured out that the sling on it is from 1962 but made according to original Russian specs.

All in all, its pretty cool that I got a history lesson on a rifle that is 70 years old. I would suggest looking him up if you get a Mosin and either want it cleaned up and decosmolined or just want to know its history.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You have pics of your '43? Unarsenaled Mosins are rare out of the Ukraine imports we get. USSR refurbed EVERYTHING in the 70s I believe as "make work" for its citizens. They refurbed all their weapons as well as the millions of German captured ones. Non refurbed could mean it was sent to another country before the Soviets performed their mass refurbs....Vietnam, Korea, or maybe a Finnish captured rifle.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    You have pics of your '43? Unarsenaled Mosins are rare out of the Ukraine imports we get. USSR refurbed EVERYTHING in the 70s I believe as "make work" for its citizens. They refurbed all their weapons as well as the millions of German captured ones. Non refurbed could mean it was sent to another country before the Soviets performed their mass refurbs....Vietnam, Korea, or maybe a Finnish captured rifle.

From what I could tell it was all original. Barrel could've used a counterbore, had the original stock and all parts from my overview looked Tula. It wasn't a Century import, I want to say it was an outfit out of Georgia that had import marked it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    From what I could tell it was all original. Barrel could've used a counterbore, had the original stock and all parts from my overview looked Tula. It wasn't a Century import, I want to say it was an outfit out of Georgia that had import marked it.
    Most of my Mosin are non refurbed. Mostly from Vietnam but I have one likely from Korea, one from the Spanish Civil War, several Finns, and a 91\30 sniper from Yugoslavia. All are Soviet rifles that found their way to these other countries, well except for my Chinese T53. None of which have import marked.

Last edited:

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Here is a picture of the list that he made and a couple pictures of the marking on the stock and the star and date on the receiver.
    10177267_10154039140620624_95111016_n.jpg
    10170917_10154039181075624_511539386_n.jpg
    1980429_10154039181080624_553119867_o.jpg

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I am just now getting into them so I don't know a lot about them. I am going to take them to Atterbury soon to try out on their range. I figure its cheap to shoot and should be easy to teach someone if time ever necessitated.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    It's a refurb, the stock is an Izhevsk stock that has been sanded and a 43 Tula action put into it.

As for this statment...

On the last one I had him do, he discovered that it was an original 1943 that wasn't rearsenaled. He figured out that it was made at a factory that was on the move do to the Germans approaching from the West.

The Germans forced the evacuation of Tula in the fall of 1941, but they never captured it . All weapons production had returned to Tula by 1943.

Last edited:

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I am just putting out what he told me. As I said, I am just now getting into Mosins and know very little about them.

And no I don't own a carbine, interested but haven't bought one yet

npark362

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2014
    Solsberry
    The mosins are awesome guns, fun to shoot and pretty cheap also. My brother has one and we go and shoot all day and it never gets old. Awesome gun!!:yesway:

Top Bottom