• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW, I got curious and went out to check my trap to see what was inside the catch bin. Roughly 200 mosquitos. A few small moths.

I turned it on yesterday late afternoon so its been running for less than 18 hours.

This is the exact model I own, like I said, $89 at Costco. https://www.amazon.com/Dynatrap-Ins...rd_wg=40oWa&psc=1&refRID=00YE3SYSV97BZPVZHX64

In the past, I've used those little spray bottles that attach to a garden hose that you can get at Lowes. I was amazed at how well that worked. I didn't like to think about what kind of chemicals I'd sprayed all over the yard and this was before kids, but I know the mosquitos went away asap and it lasted most of the summer. It really doesn't get much easier than using one of those spray bottles on the garden hose.

Yup, and inexpensive too.

We have a new 9 week old puppy and I am hesitant to spray chemicals in the yard. I will probably buy some of that stuff this year, but I'll spray the edges of the woods and other areas that are OUTSIDE of the fenced dog yard.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm all for pesticides when they're warranted, but most pesticides are indiscriminant killers. You will lose a number of beneficial insects as well. I try to use them only when there are no other effective options and I can minimize collateral damage.

With that out of the way, have you considered a mosquito trap? There are numerous versions but the most effective outdoor ones are those that burn propane and emit a scent that draws them in then traps them. I was just checking into them today because I think I'm going to need one. I watched a youtube video of a guy that lives in the woods in Michigan. He has a single trap, and from early May to early June he had trapped half a 5-gallon bucket full of them; he estimated well over a million mosquitoes in the bucket. Oh, and just for your concerns about burning through propane, from my research a modest trap running 24/7 will burn through a 20 lb LP tank in 3-4 weeks. IE, less than $1 a day...

We purchased one of these from an INGO'er last year and I don't remember how long it ran on a standard jug of propane but it was literally weeks. Mosquitos weren't a problem during the trial period, I'll be firing it up for the season probably this weekend!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    FWIW, I got curious and went out to check my trap to see what was inside the catch bin. Roughly 200 mosquitos. A few small moths.

I turned it on yesterday late afternoon so its been running for less than 18 hours.

This is the exact model I own, like I said, $89 at Costco. https://www.amazon.com/Dynatrap-Ins...rd_wg=40oWa&psc=1&refRID=00YE3SYSV97BZPVZHX64

Yup, and inexpensive too.

We have a new 9 week old puppy and I am hesitant to spray chemicals in the yard. I will probably buy some of that stuff this year, but I'll spray the edges of the woods and other areas that are OUTSIDE of the fenced dog yard.

I'm going to talk with the wife about that trap you listed. Where I live we butt up to a river and there's no shortage of mosquitos back there. I'm going to look into that trap you're using because I bet I could fill that thing up every night if I had a long enough extension cord.

Here's the spray I've used in the past with incredible results. https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Backy...548397&sr=1-1&keywords=cutter+lawn+spray&th=1 I agree though about the puppy, it's probably no the best thing for him to roll around in, or snuggle up to you and your family after he's rolled around in it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm going to talk with the wife about that trap you listed. Where I live we butt up to a river and there's no shortage of mosquitos back there. I'm going to look into that trap you're using because I bet I could fill that thing up every night if I had a long enough extension cord.
    They have a size that will work for 1 acre too.

I will probably buy another one of these. We have a patio and pool on the south side of the house. We have another patio with a dining table on the north side of the house. Woods run along the west side and wrap around the north side too so the trap on the south side won't control anything on the north side. So I'm considering another one of these for the north side but wanted to try it before I bought two of them.

Here's the spray I've used in the past with incredible results. https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Backy...548397&sr=1-1&keywords=cutter+lawn+spray&th=1 I agree though about the puppy, it's probably no the best thing for him to roll around in, or snuggle up to you and your family after he's rolled around in it.
    That is probably the same stuff I used. I bought mine at one of the big box home center stores. But I tend to buy Cutter products because they typically work. I know the spray worked well for me.

I did find it was important to not just spray the tops of the bushes but to get the spray all over the bushes, inside, etc. Ditto the hosta plants. Mosquitos seem to hide in areas where they are protected from wind so getting the spray inside the bushes and other dense foliage seemed to make it very effective. I just know it worked for about a month (or a bit more) each time I sprayed it.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SIDE NOTE: I did hang an "Octenol Mosquito Attractant" inside my trap.

And with my trap there is a screw on screen area that holds all the captured bugs while they die. It is below the suction fan. So I hung the attractant lure from the bottom of the fan with the assumption that the fan would blow over the attractant and spread its smell out through the screen. That is my theory and I'm sticking with it. Besides it was an easy place to hang the attractant so, being a lazy man, I took the easy method.

I purchased it at Menards. I think it was Black Flag brand but tossed out the package so I'm not positive.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I posted a link above to the 1-acre version that I bought. The octenol strip was 6 for $35.

i paid $138 on amazon when five left, now with one left it's $161. Hah.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I posted a link above to the 1-acre version that I bought. The octenol strip was 6 for $35.

My suggestion would be to wrap the top portion of that trap with wire mesh 'hardware cloth' to keep out the bigger moths. Hardware cloth has big enough openings to let medium and small bugs in but there is no need to fill up the trap with large bugs that just take up space and honestly don't cause you any harm. When I was looking at these traps I saw a review (maybe on Amazon?) that one of the owners of that trap did that exact thing because he was filling the trap bin with bugs that didn't need to be killed/controlled.

Amazon is a pretty amazing place. It shows that trap for $153 when I pull it up and the Octenol lures at $27.53 for a 6-pack. I'd love to see their pricing strategy. I know if I keep something in my shopping cart it tends to go up in price over time.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    So do you have a time when it's best to fog(am/pm)? I assume pm. Do you point it down to cover grass and let it rise? Any tips?

Thanks for the help. It's like an Alfred Hitchcock horror film.

I do it in the evening, when the wind is still. It will naturally settle towards the grass. Work your way into the wind.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

How come you didn't buy the Mosquito Magnet?

There is all kinds of options out there. From propane traps to Garlic barrier spray for the lawn. What to do what to do. 3 acres with woods next to us.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

There is all kinds of options out there. From propane traps to Garlic barrier spray for the lawn. What to do what to do. 3 acres with woods next to us.

lots of reports on amazon that they fail for no good reason. I saw reports of people using this model for several years and no issues. Also it's at least half the price and doesn't require propane. It gets here Thursday, I'll let you guys know how it works.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

I've got much more land, with woods and creeks on it.

The only effective way to deal with it is to look at the living spaces on your land. Try to protect those living spaces.

Understand that UV Traps are 'visible' traps and Propane scent traps that are rated for 1 acre may not protect close to that area if the sight distances are short or the trap is in a naturally breezy area.

Do you really need to clear the mosquitos from the front lawn near the road? Or can you even do anything with the adjacent woods? Most likely you have a patio area or two that you need to deal with and where your family needs some protection. Deal with those areas. Think in terms of multiple layers of protection. One method may not be enough. So some type of active trap system that runs constantly may need to be supplemented with some other type, like a hose end spray, a fogger or maybe just a few cans of Yard Guard if guests come over. If the area to be protected is open to breezes and wind then a fogger may not be terribly effective, but if its sheltered from wind then a fogger may work pretty well. Different techniques for different types of habitat.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    FWIW my new mosquito trap seems to be working very well.

Ended up buying one to try it out. It's trapped a lot of mosquitos. I think with the combined effort of the trap and fogging, we might just get our yard back. It's going to take persistence and some time to rid these "suckers".

Are you using attractant? Mine seems to be working fine without it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Ended up buying one to try it out. It's trapped a lot of mosquitos. I think with the combined effort of the trap and fogging, we might just get our yard back. It's going to take persistence and some time to rid these "suckers".

Are you using attractant? Mine seems to be working fine without it.

Yes, I totally agree that multiple approaches are the way to go, so while I have CURRENTLY only been using the UV Light Trap for mosquitoes I have 2 of the hose end spray bottles of mosquito controller on 'stand by' waiting for a good dry warm weekend. I simply don't believe there is a single solution to rid my property of mosquitos but by using multiple methods it can be bearable.

Yes, I am using an attractant. Tried it for a week without it. Caught a lot of blood suckers. Added an attractant, and caught more. Don't know if the attractant worked or if more mosquitoes had hatched. I bought a 6 pack and plan to add a new attractant about every 3 weeks. Figure that the fan blowing across the attractant will likely reduce its longevity? So rather than replacing them every 4 to 5 weeks like is recommended when used with a bug 'zapper' I figure that the constant fan blowing across the attractant means its logical to replace it sooner.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I picked up one after work yesterday at Sam's Club. I took it home and fired it up. This morning I could see some little bodies in it. I hope we will be able to tell a difference soon.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I picked up one after work yesterday at Sam's Club. I took it home and fired it up. This morning I could see some little bodies in it. I hope we will be able to tell a difference soon.

Make sure to keep it away from all other lights or turn your outside lights off to maximize the light attraction.

Here is 2 nights of it working.
    I have cleaned it 2 times and get about the same amount after the 2 day run time.

IMG_3006.jpg

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    You could also use a lawn treatment like crosscheck plus from lesco. Kills fleas and ants plus mosquitos.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think I've noted less mosquitos out there. Not zero, but less. The trap has a lot in there, but also a ton of huge beetles and moths. I bought some small metal mesh screen and laid it over the plastic to make it harder for the big guys to get down in there. I need to add the octenol attractant and move it further away from the house.

Top Bottom