• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbmenefee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Has anyone owned/shot one?? I'm looking for a good sniper but I'm on a budget and this keeps popping up as the best 1,000 yard budget sniper. Does it live up to the hype and does it remain reliable after a few hundred rounds?? Any suggestions on other sub-$500 package guns welcome. Thanks.

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Has anyone owned/shot one?? I'm looking for a good sniper but I'm on a budget and this keeps popping up as the best 1,000 yard budget sniper. Does it live up to the hype and does it remain reliable after a few hundred rounds?? Any suggestions on other sub-$500 package guns welcome. Thanks.

Remington 700 ADL. Remington has a $35 rebate until the end of the year. Might be enough in your budget to get a better scope for it. You'd have a platform you can build or upgrade.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    So far I am very happy with my Mossberg MVP in .223. I like the ability to use AR mags and I assume the .308 versions use an AR10 type mag. Accuracy is more than accepable with PRVI ammo, bolt runs very smooth.

mvp1b1.jpg

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    While I appreciate the fine budget minded rifles in this thread and dont' get me wrong I have a few. It would be rough to compete at 1k yds with the budget guns list, I think they could be tuned and on their good days do OK

What are your goals for these rifles, If it's to hit a 48 inch plate at 1k then this will do the job, But to consistently stay on a 24 inch plate at 1k the cost is going to go up, and 10inch plate even more, Consistent means 80% Plus

These are great guns and buying these and burning the barrel out of them at 400-500yds would be great fun and great learning,

I"m not trying to dump on your thread but only on the internet can Russian junk ammo and a budget off the shelf rifle do well at 1k,

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Have to agree with x10. There is no such thing as a budget 1,000 yd gun. Good quality glass will be needed for those kind of ranges, and they're even more costly.

Ruffnek is right too. Probably don't need to be throwing around the "sniper" word.

There are a few rifles out there in the "budget" area that could be called "precision" if your definition of precision is vague, say around 1 MOA, and your range isn't going to be too great. I'm quite happy with the very inexpensive Savage Axis in .308 my wife got me. (First gun she ever got me, and she went cheap) I will only use it for shooting medium range, maybe 450 yds, but even so, that cheap factory stock had to go. I also had to do a trigger job on it. It will hold around an inch at 100 yds. I've done under 1 inch at 100 yds twice using PMC Bronze FMJ, and I'm not such a great shot since I retired and got fat. It will be my deer gun if the new hunting reg changes get approved.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The Savage will shoot better than the vast majority of shooters, and the folks with the big bucks rifle/scope/custom everything set ups will belittle anyone who spent less on their rifle than they did. If you ask, they'll explain why their dog, truck, etc. is better than yours as well.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have the ATR NightTrain in .308 and paid well under $500 for it. It's a very nice rifle and the package works well. I especially like the trigger, it's very smooth. The scope is where they saved money, but for a low-end optic it works well. I keep thinking that I should upgrade it but then after shooting it I ask myself "what for?"

Top Bottom