• tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Pros: It's a lever gun and in 30-30
    Cons: It's made by Mossberg.
    Personally, I would opt for an old Winchester but I'm a bit of a relic. And whatever you do, please for the love of god don't buy the SPX version :puke: John Wayne will roll over in his grave and god will kill a kitten :laugh:

Ter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Pekin / Washington Co.
    Personally, I would opt for an old Winchester but I'm a bit of a relic. And whatever you do, please for the love of god don't buy the SPX version :puke: John Wayne will roll over in his grave and god will kill a kitten :laugh:

I would love an older Winchester but, the prices on the few I've seen lately are beyond me.
    I'm not into the Frankenstein guns like the SPX.:):

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Keep looking. Deals on post 64 ones come along here and there and it's worth the wait. Marlin makes a fine lever gun as well, but there is just something about the Winchester's.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have a very nice condition JM marked Marlin model 336W 30-30 and just got a new Mossy 464 Deluxe in the Marinecote finish w/ fiber optic sights ( model 41041) like this..

timthumb.php

This is my second 464, the first was the the plain 41010 model like the one below,
    timthumb.php

I haven't fired my current 464 yet but the first was fine, fed ,fired and ejected smoothly with any ammo I tried and this includes the Prvi Partizan brand as well as various reloads. Killed one deer w/ it and several groundhogs. This new rifle fed and ejected loaded cartridges smoothly in a bit of back yard cycling yesterday but I haven't fired it yet. If it performs as well as the 464 I had earlier I'll probably get rid of my Marlin. I've owned a couple Winchesters and other Marlins in the past , I always found the Marlins to work smoother than Winchesters, (YMMV) but so far have no complaints about the 464. I had maybe 200rds fired thru my first and only got rid it of when I decided to upgrade to a pistol grip model in Marinecote. Finding the specific model I was yearning for took some time.
    FWIW/FYI the straight stocked birch wood model 464 , #s 41010 and 41011 have very plain thinly finished wood. The pistol grip models, 41020, 41021, 41040 and 41041 have good walnut and are nicely finshed too. The impressed checkering aside the wood on the deluxe models is at least worth a look. The price point on all models isn't far apart, the plainest isn't much less $$ than the highest.
    The 464 is often said to be a hybrid of the Marlin 336 and Win 94 but I think the gun is more of a modified Win design, it does have a round bolt but the lever linkage , the feed elevator and bolt locking mechanism resemble Win. The 464 also has a solid bridge of steel at the rear of the receiver,.. easily seen in the photos. I usually change the plastic magazine follower in any gun so equipped with a stainless steel piece, not sure if this is really needed tho'.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I and one of my brothers both own one of the Davison's Gallery of Guns exclusive offerings of the Marinecote version,

I've only put a few dozen rounds through mine. It performed flawlessly.
    The action is smooth as butter right out of the box. The trigger is crisp with no over-travel.

My brother has put many dozens through his. He says it has become his favorite lever gun.

I must agree. I think the SPX models just look wrong. They may be ergonomically correct, but they are not for me.
    The Marincote however is a different story.
    It is plain beautiful in both form and function.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury

Have you actually LOOKED at them? Done any research into how they are made?

They are machined in the USA, by Americans. It has the most practical type of safety that can be retrofited onto the old design. Its a well thought out and well implemented gun.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Have you actually LOOKED at them? Done any research into how they are made?

They are machined in the USA, by Americans. It has the most practical type of safety that can be retrofited onto the old design. Its a well thought out and well implemented gun.

Yes, I have actually LOOKED at them. I'm sure they work fine, although i know they had extractor issues when they came out and there's lots of reports of the pot metal cast barrel bands breaking. IMO though, they just look and feel cheap compared to a Winchester 94. Usually aesthetics are one of the last things I'm worried about in a firearm, but I feel different when it comes to classic designs like the lever gun. Mossberg has had a half dozen or so lever guns over the last 30 years and none stick around. The 94 is over a hundred years old (with some tweaks here and there granted) but is still the same basic design and loved the world over. Just my :twocents: but I'd take the time tested classic over a pair of Mossbergs any day of the week.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Top Bottom