• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a Mossberg Cruiser 6-shot tactical shotgun that states that it is a model 500. I purchased another barrel at the 1500 for a model 500, but when I got home, the mount to the magazine is different. The 500 barrel i purchased has an integral screw that should thread into the magazine end. The original barrel, however has a ring that goes over the magazine then has a nut that holds the barrel on to the magazine.

Do I have to change out the magazine tube for this barrel to work on this gun? Why are there different barrel mount configurations? Can anyone help out with this? Inquiring minds want to know!:ingo:

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well that Sux! I checked again and the receiver says Model 500A, but the 500 barrel definitely doesn't fit.

Since the receiver says 500A, can I just get a 500 series magazine tube and replace the 590 version, so then the 500 series barrel will fit? I am trying not to buy a whole shotgun for a few months of my son shooting trap..

Last edited:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If you have a 590 barrel, and it is 18.5" it will have one ring that goes around the mag tube and it is for a 6 shot 590. If it is 20", it will have 2 rings for the mag tube, and probably a bayonet lug on the rear one, and it is for a 8 shot tube. Neither are a direct swap onto a 500. In order to install it, you would need the 590 magazine tube, magazine tube cap, and magazine tube spring. The receiver is identical between the two, except one says 590, and one doesn't. From my research, you are better off buying one or the other, because the cost difference is literally the cost of the parts. If you bought the wrong barrel, you need to either get your money back from the vendor you purchased it off of, and buy the correct barrel, or call Mossberg up so you can order the parts to do the swap. I wouldn't recommend that though, as it could harm your resale value.
    Also, do note that 590s only come with the two barrel lengths/mag tube capacities. The only other differences in those respective barrel lengths pertain to the finish and sights installed. You will be hard pressed to sell a 590 barrel, there's just not much of a market for them.

52682.jpg

51663.jpg

Top Bottom