• ...and so much more!
  • dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I know I'm a little late to show.

But I've just heard of the Mossberg 500 JIC Just In Case Shotgun .

It comes in different flavors.

1. the Mariner - which is stainless
    2. and the plain black model.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these shotguns?

:cool:

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Well it is a little more than a pistol grip 500.

It has a cylinder bore 18" barrel.

With the pistol grip, it will be a hand full to shoot.

But it's an emergency gun only - I wont be shooting it much - if at all.

icon_cool.gif

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Heck maybe no one needs this kind of emergency stuff.

I think you be missing the point of the whole kit.

It has a cylinder bore 18" barrel and the pistol grip is so that it will fit in the tube.

Your right with the pistol grip, it will be a hand full to shoot.

But it's an emergency gun only, kinda bury it in the yard type thing.

Tube filled with emergency rations type stuff.

One won't be shooting clays or anything much - if at all.

It's meant as a oh sh** rig as I understand it.

cool.gif

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Couldn't you get an old, used shotgun? Put a pistol grip on it. Make your own tube out of pvc pipe or buy a used case from army surplus? You could probably still buy 100 rounds of ammo to put with itfor less than that price.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Couldn't you get an old, used shotgun? Put a pistol grip on it. Make your own tube out of pvc pipe or buy a used case from army surplus? You could probably still buy 100 rounds of ammo to put with itfor less than that price.
    Thats what I was thinking

you could also just saw the barrel off for what it is for if you happen to find a gun with a larger barrel for less.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    buy a maverick 88 and put a pistol grip on it for $200

^^ this if you really want a shotgun with a pistol grip.
    Or buy a regular 500 right away.
    You will probably hate having a shotgun with a pistol grip when you try to shoot it, buy a full stock to replace the pistol grip and end up with a regular 500 for more than the price of the gun itself.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I was checking out that kit on the Mossberg website and was also contiplating the usefulness of it and in what possible scenarios it would be handy. In one picture it looked like it was broken down in a case and had to be assembled to use, that doesn't make much sense to me in a oh-crap-i-need-my-gun situation.

But if it was assembled and in a tube I could see it being good for in a camper or something. They show a guy hiking with it, but that is a lot of weight to be lugging around.

I think I am in the camp of buying a less expensive shotgun and modifying to my needs.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Are you going anywhere that you might need a water proof case for your shotty? They float! They aren't all that easy to seal. Once you get one you will see just how easy it would be to make.
    It's a gimmick

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I was checking out that kit on the Mossberg website and was also contiplating the usefulness of it and in what possible scenarios it would be handy. In one picture it looked like it was broken down in a case and had to be assembled to use, that doesn't make much sense to me in a oh-crap-i-need-my-gun situation.

But if it was assembled and in a tube I could see it being good for in a camper or something. They show a guy hiking with it, but that is a lot of weight to be lugging around.

I think I am in the camp of buying a less expensive shotgun and modifying to my needs.

Couldn't you just carry a sling on any pistol gripped shotgun and be even lighter then with the case?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Couldn't you just carry a sling on any pistol gripped shotgun and be even lighter then with the case?

Yes, that is why said it would be a lot of weight to lug around while hiking. But in a camper where it isn't strapped to my back, and weight isn't that much of an issue it could work, and it will keep prying eyes (or hands) off of it.

Like others have mentioned, PVC tube would work just as well in that scenario.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    Go to a pawn shop, buy a cheap pump, cut off the barrel, install pistal grip(or cut off the stock) and bingo! Same thing, just doesn't have a 'tactical' appeal to it. But I guess you could get some flat black spray paint and do it up as well.

Top Bottom