• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I recently bought a mossberg at a good price with a 28" barrel with a modified choke. If I swap it for a 18.5" or 20" barrel will I hurt the vaule of the gun? It has a standard magazine, I just want a shorter barrel, nothing else.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Ooh ok so if I spend $50-100 on a short barrel and keep the other, I won't be out anything no if I go to swap or sell this gun? I want a barrel that I can shoot slugs and shot through half-way accurately without swapping barrels out all the time. Mostly for close range varmint control/home defense and plinking.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    From my experience, barrels don't loose much value (unless they are not taken care of). So, as mentioned above, keep both barrels and IMO, the value goes up due to the utility of having multiple barrels. Plus, you could always sell one of the barrels I'm sure.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a Mossberg, Maverick, 88 with a 24" slug barrell, and have NO problems, with Slugs, or shot... I shoot as small as 7 1/2, up to #4 Buck ..... Factory, and reloads...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. more barrels=more $$. I have several 500s and multiple barrels. as I stated in another thread: " I have a 500 with a 28" ribbed barrel for small things (squirrels, rabbits, clays), a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount for big things with 4 legs, and a 18" smooth bore with rifle sights for big things with 2 legs that shouldnt be in my house.":):

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yep. more barrels=more $$. I have several 500s and multiple barrels. as I stated in another thread: " I have a 500 with a 28" ribbed barrel for small things (squirrels, rabbits, clays), a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount for big things with 4 legs, and a 18" smooth bore with rifle sights for big things with 2 legs that shouldnt be in my house.":):
    Haha I remember. As you can see I'm stumped what I wan to do with this shotgun.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    I have the same gun with 28" barrel and just change the choke rather than change the barrel as per Mossberg's instructions. Shoots very well, 3 chokes and all bases covered.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have one as well. I bought a factory 18.5 inch barrel. A 28 inch barrel is not suitable for home defense in my opinion.

WHY? you really think those extra 10 inch's pose a huge threat to you being disarmed or not being able to make the proper shot? What makes the 18.5 inch barrel so much better for home protection that it has become common advice for this to be the BEST method of setting up a HD shotgun?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom