• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Ahh well I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, just different is all.

My main concern is that educational threads like this are devoid of as much misinformation as possible, I am not saying the misinformation is intentional, I am just saying we should try to be as clear & concise as possible simply because there are so much bad information on boards like this that the people who tout their experience with something as "heard it on an online forum" have really become a joke of sorts.

And sorry man I thought your shotgun was the one that had the pistol grip originally & when you swapped it out for a standard stock the bolt was to long causing a clearence issue with part of the tang safety mechanism.

Wonder who's shotgun that was now ...
    I agree whole-heartedly. Just joking about Mossberg being better. I've never actually shot a Remington so I can't say either way.

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    Back on topic? I like the mossberg's a little better. I have had both and have beaten both in field and the mossy seems more forgiving. I have had a pistol grip and changed it to a pistol / stock gun. Way friendlier to handle. Magnum loads killed my wrists and follow up shots sufered. I recently picked a 535 ats mossberg for turkey, 3.5" shells. I should of got the pistol grip/stock and probably will switch it out. The 870's do seem to hold value a little better than the mossberg's. My .02 Thanks

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Depends on the use. I've been looking at getting a shotgun for some home defense. Mossberg wins hands down for many, many reasons. See this link for a great article that will settle your mind:

http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

Most people agree for hunting Rem 870 is smoother and makes a better hunting gun.

**Remington introduced the 870 Express in 1987 so every gun before that is a Wingmaster. For much cheaper than a new express you can get a high quality older Wingmaster that will be so smooth with great wood.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on the use. I've been looking at getting a shotgun for some home defense. Mossberg wins hands down for many, many reasons. See this link for a great article that will settle your mind:

http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

Most people agree for hunting Rem 870 is smoother and makes a better hunting gun.

**Remington introduced the 870 Express in 1987 so every gun before that is a Wingmaster. For much cheaper than a new express you can get a high quality older Wingmaster that will be so smooth with great wood.

Feriil,

That was an interesting read, apparently that fellow came to many of the same conclusions that I did about the two models in question.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The pistol grip would be better on the Rem because the safety is on the back of the trigger guard, but the action is to the front of the trigger guard. This means that you still have to reach to the front of the trigger guard to release the action, making the pistol grip a hindrance. The Mossy safety is on top so you would have to disengage it prior to taking a proper grip. The action is to the the rear of the trigger guard making it easier to reach though.... So if you are holding either with a solid grip, on the pistol grip, you are going to have to readjust........... If you just use the traditional stock, it was designed for, then you are in a perfect position to use the weight of the weapon for a solid grip and a fluid butt stroke motion. In my opinion I would use the Mossy (M590a1 with Ghost Ring Sights) with the standard stock. Then you have a perfectly accessible safety and action release, not to mention a hefty club. Both are solid time tested designs and either is a fine tool.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    The problem I have with the debate over the slide release and safety, is in a HD situation I would first take my shotgun off safety then pump it so I had one ready to go. Then just keep the booger hook off the trigger, until your ready to fire, that basic rule we all know. But like I have said before the slide release doesn't matter to me because I'm a lefty:rockwoot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah, I am a little bit smaller than you, I am 5'8'' and 210, but I am also a personal fit nut (I work out 5 days a week) so the grip/recoil isn't going to be that big of a problem for me.

Same here, they'll never know what hit em.
    Your size and strength means nothing to mother nature and the laws of physics. I could teach a 10 year old to outgun you if you use a pistol grip only pump gun. Add the useless but cool looking POS vertical foregrip and I might be willing to say an 8 year old could beat you. Regardless, you will never win a gun fight with that rig. Not trying to be rude here, just pointing out a serious flaw in your facts and tactics.

You can beat any living thing to death with either a Remington or Mossberg. Both are tough enough in any configuration, no worries there. The biggest issue is psychological, the gun you like the best will be the best for you. Fit is critical but skip that for now.

The biggest weakness of the Mossberg is the tang safety. To operate it you have to break your grip on the gun. With an 870 and oversized safety you run the gun with your trigger finger. You never break your grip. It does no good to keep your finger on the trigger while actuating the safety.

It is in fact EXTREMELY dangerous for a novice shotgunner. It is one of those things you never do yourself, you see others do it and say to yourself "WHOLLY ****" you say even more when the AD happens near you.

Guess what, even more likely to happen if the Mossberg has a PG stock. With a PG stock you not only break your thumb grip but rotate your entire hand upwards to hit the safety. The subconcious mind tries to find leverage to do this move and it finds it with the trigger finger on the trigger. No ****.

I prefer 870's. I prefer PG stocks (full stocks with PG). With standard stocks on bioth guns, it is all about personal taste. I always prefer the 870 in all cases but I have felt that way since 1977. I first shot a pump in 1968, a Model 42 and I still have that one. A true debate is 870 vs Model 12.

For the record I build all my guns on Wingmasters but you can polish the express action in key areas to make it smooth. New Remington Police these days are a good way to go.

Your other option is to be gay like Shooter521 and get a Saiga. :cool:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    18+1 capacity-is that with 2 3/4" or 3" shells?

I'm just asking because 18 rounds laid end to end would be 50" long (more than 4 feet) and unless the extended tube goes beyond the barrel, I've never heard of a 4' barrel. Does it point well?

got pics?
    :dunno:
    Just to clarify a few WTF's in here.

18" barrel and a +2 mag extension match up. 20" barrel and a +3 mag extension match up. 22" barrel and a +4. Does not matter if you use 2 3/4" or 3" ammo.

The other WTF for me in this thread, and I mean this in only the nicest way...................thumb caught in an 870? My hands are not large and the only gun I ever got my thumb caught in was a Benelli M2. BigCraig did it the same day and I do it every time if I am not careful. Not Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Ithaca or various other old school pumps, just Benelli. How do you get your thumb caught in an 870? You must have been trying hard to do that? :dunno:

I gots ta know.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The pistol grip would be better on the Rem because the safety is on the back of the trigger guard, but the action is to the front of the trigger guard. This means that you still have to reach to the front of the trigger guard to release the action, making the pistol grip a hindrance. The Mossy safety is on top so you would have to disengage it prior to taking a proper grip. The action is to the the rear of the trigger guard making it easier to reach though.... So if you are holding either with a solid grip, on the pistol grip, you are going to have to readjust........... If you just use the traditional stock, it was designed for, then you are in a perfect position to use the weight of the weapon for a solid grip and a fluid butt stroke motion. In my opinion I would use the Mossy (M590a1 with Ghost Ring Sights) with the standard stock. Then you have a perfectly accessible safety and action release, not to mention a hefty club. Both are solid time tested designs and either is a fine tool.
    For HD, safety off, chamber empty, action open, rounds in side saddle or belt nearby, with either gun, either stock. If things are hot in the hood, action is open with a round riding on the bolt.

Tactical reloads are made on an open bolt or into the mag tube. You only need to operate the action IF the gun fails. You can operate the action by pulling the trigger but why close the action on an empty chamber?

This is where the 870 is great, with an oversized bolt you can operate/check the safety with the second knuckle of your trigger finger. Shoulder gun, keep it there and start pulling the trigger. No need to ever adjust once the gun is mounted. Small stuff but split seconds count under pressure.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For HD, safety off, chamber empty, action open, rounds in side saddle or belt nearby, with either gun, either stock. If things are hot in the hood, action is open with a round riding on the bolt.

Tactical reloads are made on an open bolt or into the mag tube. You only need to operate the action IF the gun fails. You can operate the action by pulling the trigger but why close the action on an empty chamber?

This is where the 870 is great, with an oversized bolt you can operate/check the safety with the second knuckle of your trigger finger. Shoulder gun, keep it there and start pulling the trigger. No need to ever adjust once the gun is mounted. Small stuff but split seconds count under pressure.

I keep my 590 fully loaded, with one in the chamber w/safety on safe.

That way all I have to do is mount the shotgun, get a sight picture, flick the safety with my thumb & depress the trigger.

But if that system works for you thats great!

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    A true debate is 870 vs Model 12.

Exactly! 870 for me, I like my Model 12 but the action isn't as smooth and I don't like the drop at the heel. It seems like I have to always readjust my head to get the sight picture right. I do love the classic look of it and the double bead :)

And yea I know what you mean about getting your finger pinched, it seems the people the bash the 870 always use this, but me or anyone else I know that owns an 870 doesn't have this problem. :dunno:

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    UM, Why is owning a Saiga gay? I want one and don't lean that way. If we are going to start throwing in other models to compare I would bring in my Ithaca Model 37. Great gun I have in 12 and 20. Really like bottom eject. My wife who is lefty uses the 20. Great home defense with original deer slayer on it. Again just my .02 Thanks

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Umm all you have to do is slank a shell into the magazine tube, the 870 does the rest.
    Put up a pic of your thumb! There has to be more to this, like a grossly enlarged ape like knuckle? I solved the mystery of the infamous Knoxx stock slap but this "870 thumb" really has my interest.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I keep my 590 fully loaded, with one in the chamber w/safety on safe.

That way all I have to do is mount the shotgun, get a sight picture, flick the safety with my thumb & depress the trigger.

But if that system works for you thats great!
    For me, the grab in an instant gun is a handgun. With shotgun I have a little more time to think when I grab it so I want the option of buck or slug and even choice of larger buck or #4 buck for my first shot.

Main reason is safety/legal purposes of going with smallest load possible to kill a coyote or dog whe I step outside, AKA #4 buck.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    UM, Why is owning a Saiga gay? I want one and don't lean that way. If we are going to start throwing in other models to compare I would bring in my Ithaca Model 37. Great gun I have in 12 and 20. Really like bottom eject. My wife who is lefty uses the 20. Great home defense with original deer slayer on it. Again just my .02 Thanks
    Because I said so and it is the internet and I know Shooter521.

Too many nightmares for me seeing Ithaca's jam too many times. I love them and always have, but when they jam, they jam hard.

I think the Saiga 20 is a great gun for women but the 12 kicks so little it is too. I think you can get deals on the 20 due to lack of interest in it these days, but I am not sure.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Put up a pic of your thumb! There has to be more to this, like a grossly enlarged ape like knuckle? I solved the mystery of the infamous Knoxx stock slap but this "870 thumb" really has my interest.

Theres nothing mysterious about it; slank a shell into an 870's magazine tube & the loading gate will pinch your thumb.

Claiming that it doesn't is sort of like claiming water isn't wet.

oldrookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    mossburg question

what is the primary difference between the 835 and 500? is the 500 limited to 3" loads?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom