• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me, the grab in an instant gun is a handgun. With shotgun I have a little more time to think when I grab it so I want the option of buck or slug and even choice of larger buck or #4 buck for my first shot.

Main reason is safety/legal purposes of going with smallest load possible to kill a coyote or dog whe I step outside, AKA #4 buck.

Gotcha, I keep all of my firearms except for the two I always keep nearby(my EDC Glock 17 & my Taurus M85ULSS backup/house/bathrobe gun) in my gunsafe, so basically my plan of action is to fight my way to my gunsafe, immediately upon opening the gunsafe I can retrieve a fully loaded & ready to rock 590.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    what is the primary difference between the 835 and 500? is the 500 limited to 3" loads?

Yea the 835 is for shooting the 3.5" super-magnum shells, the extra payload was needed when steel shot was first introduced inorder to maintain the same level of preformance that the older 3" magnums delivered w/lead shot.

But now with some of the newer 3" magnum shells loaded with the denser non-lead bismuth & tungsten-nickel-iron alloy's there is less need for a shotgun chambered for 3.5"

oldrookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Yea the 835 is for shooting the 3.5" super-magnum shells, the extra payload was needed when steel shot was first introduced inorder to maintain the same level of preformance that the older 3" magnums delivered w/lead shot.

But now with some of the newer 3" magnum shells loaded with the denser non-lead bismuth & tungsten-nickel-iron alloy's there is less need for a shotgun chambered for 3.5"

If you found a good buy on a 500A, it wouldn't be a big deal between the two? I really only want to use it on turkeys.

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    835's were great for the day but you got to love the mossy 535 ats. I like the 12ga and it will throw the 3 1/2's but is light and easy to swing for other uses. It is a relly good turkey gun but with the fiber optic sights and a I/C choke it is a real decent slug thrower also. I would of liked the pistol grip/full stock combo, maybe I will add it later. I still think the Ithaca model 37's are good guns and have never had a bad jam on mine. I thought they were a law enforcement gun for a long time and you would think they would a gun that does not jam at bad times. Ya know I am thankful they make so many kinds of shotguns so we can be happy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    LOL. Gotta love Marines. "I'm in better shape than you, so I can kick your ass." Grip/recoil isn't a matter of fitness. It's a matter of stance and mass.

I notice that you never said you've shot one. I'm guessing that you haven't and am simply recommending that you try one before plunking down $300-400 for one. I always thought that I'd like it and was surprised to find that I preferred the full stock. I think the increased ability to aim and quickly follow-up outweighs the increased maneuverability. YMMV, $.02, etc.

I never said that, you did... I know I am in shape, and I gave you my specs, you are taller than me, but I am a lot larger for guys my height class. I have shot these in Iraq, and if you read my earlier post, I have family and friends that own BOTH Mossys and Rems, and they have given me mixed opinions, even though I have shot both of them.

Recoil is all about absorbing the "reversed impact" and distributing it somewhere else. I could go on with the Physics aspect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Why not it would not be the first time I've insulted a Marine to his face nor will it be the last time. :D

Speaking of which I need to brush up on those Marine jokes I have a family reunion coming up...

Okay, I didn't take offense, but I don't care about that, its not the end of the world. I know I can do a 290 PFT flat out. Lets see you do it?!?!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I would say everything I just said to his face. The quote, "I'm in better shape than you so I can kick your ass." was my imitation of a Marine. :chillout:

Oh, I thought you were implying that to me. I never said that, I said I am a health nut. I can still run a 290 PFT right now, so I am not worried about it. When SHTF, I know I'll be ready.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Your size and strength means nothing to mother nature and the laws of physics. I could teach a 10 year old to outgun you if you use a pistol grip only pump gun. Add the useless but cool looking POS vertical foregrip and I might be willing to say an 8 year old could beat you. Regardless, you will never win a gun fight with that rig. Not trying to be rude here, just pointing out a serious flaw in your facts and tactics.

You can beat any living thing to death with either a Remington or Mossberg. Both are tough enough in any configuration, no worries there. The biggest issue is psychological, the gun you like the best will be the best for you. Fit is critical but skip that for now.

The biggest weakness of the Mossberg is the tang safety. To operate it you have to break your grip on the gun. With an 870 and oversized safety you run the gun with your trigger finger. You never break your grip. It does no good to keep your finger on the trigger while actuating the safety.

It is in fact EXTREMELY dangerous for a novice shotgunner. It is one of those things you never do yourself, you see others do it and say to yourself "WHOLLY ****" you say even more when the AD happens near you.

Guess what, even more likely to happen if the Mossberg has a PG stock. With a PG stock you not only break your thumb grip but rotate your entire hand upwards to hit the safety. The subconcious mind tries to find leverage to do this move and it finds it with the trigger finger on the trigger. No ****.

I prefer 870's. I prefer PG stocks (full stocks with PG). With standard stocks on bioth guns, it is all about personal taste. I always prefer the 870 in all cases but I have felt that way since 1977. I first shot a pump in 1968, a Model 42 and I still have that one. A true debate is 870 vs Model 12.

For the record I build all my guns on Wingmasters but you can polish the express action in key areas to make it smooth. New Remington Police these days are a good way to go.

Your other option is to be gay like Shooter521 and get a Saiga. :cool:

Dude seriously, that is being rude without saying it. That's like me saying, " I am not trying to be an *******," and then I go and say something like an *******. That 10 year old you speak of better have elite Marine Corps training, 7 or more years of Expert Marksmanship training (both M16 and 9mm) and then he better have multiple tours in combat. I have my ribbons and medals to prove it, I also have my DD214 with everything to show, and did I ever bring that up? No, but you started your comments about my facts are wrong. Well, go tell that to my family members that have just as much if not more time behind a trigger, and that have done it under life or death situations. I have, and I know it. When SHTF, I won't miss. That's why I posted here, I wanted to see everyone's opinions about it, and what they have done, or what they have seen. Not bs and rumors.

And one of my degrees, well, the minor is Applied Scienes, i.e. Physics. I know all too well about Newton's Laws. "An object that is in motion tends to stay in motion...." I know beginner and advanced tactics for shooting different types of weapons. A 203G will knock you on your ass worse than any shotgun ever would if you don't know how to operate and compensate for it.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I agree that it can pinch your finger, TV I'm with you, I disagree that it WILL happen. I just tried this out and I have a harder time pinching my finger than not pinching it. I had to push the shell in deeper than need be, making sure I use the tip of my thumb, only then did it happen, sometimes. I noticed I naturally use the pad of my finger so maybe using the pad of my thumb helps.

So trying to get this closer to topic try a friends 870 out, load in shells like you normally would and i doubt you will have problems. I think the OP said he knew people with both? Just don't use the tip of your thumb use the pad.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    When I do it, the knuckle of my thumb holds the loading gate up enough.

I think Richard might have arthritis.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I agree with Zoub on many points he made.
    The 870 for a fighting gun to me is the way to go if one simply doesn't want to pony up for a Benelli.
    The 870 wins in a few different ways that some have pointed out here.
    The safety location is far better on the Remington IMO
    As far as the Slide release? Why is it an issue on a defense or fighting gun? chamber loaded safety on. I don't like the shuck shuck click prior to the BOOM. A subtle snick of a safety milliseconds prior to the gun going BOOM is much preferable in my book. If the BG is that deep in my abode its Fast Forward to Game over anyway so why give him any kind of warning?

On the thumb thing I have not personally had this happen..... at least not in some memorable or painful way and I have some pretty big hands. So I cannot deny or confirm.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not sure why everyone has "circled the wagons" in order to defend the 870's "pinchy" loading gate, but IMHO Remington really needs to redesign it along with a couple other ergonomic problem areas as described in my laundry list.

But I am really not going to waste my time debating either how water isn't wet or how the 870 loading gate doesn't pinch.

Want to keep believing that the 870 is some sort of perfect pump shotgun? go right ahead, but I guarantee if you got it out of the closest/safe, blew the dust out of the chamber & started actually using the thing on a regular basis you'd probably come to a different conclusion :p

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom