• ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Just a quick question:

What would you think an older, (7 or 8 years old), hardly used Mossberg 500 shotgun ought to sell for? I`m asking because one may be available and I want to know a price fair to both the seller, and the buyer...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What it "ought" to sell for vs what it sells for can be two different things. What it ought to sell for is a number based on condition, rarity, etc. What it sells for is strictly market driven and as you're aware the market for firearms is as out of control as the housing market, i.e. sellers market.

As an example I just pulled an AR out of the safe a few minutes ago, nothing special about it, paid $350 for it a couple of years ago, today on gunbroker at least they're listing the same one for right around the $750 mark. Tempting but I'll keep it.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Just a quick question:

What would you think an older, (7 or 8 years old), hardly used Mossberg 500 shotgun ought to sell for? I`m asking because one may be available and I want to know a price fair to both the seller, and the buyer...
    Wood or plastic furniture? What gauge and which barrel? My son just bought a beautiful old (40 years) 12 gauge with a slug barrel, a short smooth bore barrel and vent rib barrel and he paid $500 for it. I thought that was a dang fine deal.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been looking and it depends on what it is. I see from $299-$799 then there is the few asking for $1200-$1500. There is one in the classifieds here for $600

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I just bought a used 870 Express Magnum, wood furniture with a 20" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights off the rack at the LGS for $260. The wood is a little dinged up, and I found some burrs (the plant kind) in the action when I took it apart, but it looks like it's barely been shot. I think somebody used it to deer hunt with, sighted it in once or twice and that was it. When I got it home I discovered an issue with the safety (looks like some bubba filed the ears of the trigger down ???), but it's nothing I can't fix...already have parts on the way.

The Mossberg is a decent gun, but I prefer the steel receiver of the 870. No way would I pay more than $250 for a used 500.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Just a quick question:

Did you forget about this thread?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Did you forget about this thread?
    No sir, I did not. Thank you for pulling my attention back to it.

I had been asking for a friend who was eying the Mossberg 500 in question...he wanted to buy it, but have the price be fair to both he and the seller. He wound up buying it without hearing back from me. It is approximately 14 years old he now tells me, and it is the synthetic camo stock. It`s a 12 gauge turkey gun. I honestly don`t remember what he said he finally paid for it, but if there`s interest, I`ll ask again and report back.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I got an as new parkerized Police Trade In Mossberg 590 (+) 400 rds of ammunition and a hard case for $240 off this website in the classifieds once, and drove to Lafayette to get it.
    But yes that was a while ago pre covid.
    My grandson gets it someday, and he turns five at the end of the month.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just bought a .410 synthetic for $350. It was made in 1996 like new hardly fired if at all. Bought a 12ga from the 70's also like new for $100. All depends on rarity,condition, and goodies included.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    No sir, I did not. Thank you for pulling my attention back to it.

I had been asking for a friend who was eying the Mossberg 500 in question...he wanted to buy it, but have the price be fair to both he and the seller. He wound up buying it without hearing back from me. It is approximately 14 years old he now tells me, and it is the synthetic camo stock. It`s a 12 gauge turkey gun. I honestly don`t remember what he said he finally paid for it, but if there`s interest, I`ll ask again and report back.
    Sounds like $350-$400 would be a fair price. Although at the recent 1500 show, it would have been priced at $800.

Top Bottom