• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy727

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Evansville area
    Hey everyone, I am interested in a Mossberg 590 for home defense.

I was wanting some feedback on the 500/590.

Is the 590 worth the extra money?

I want a 20 inch, full length tube, rifle sights, preferable parkerized.

I see comparable features in the 500 model at a lot less money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For home defense, there is little difference. The two models share the same receiver, common stock attachment and internals. Some versions of the 590 have heavier (thicker) barrels and of course a bayonet lug.

I have both but it is a 20 year old Md 500 which resides under the bed. I kept it loaded with five 3" mag 00 shells for years. A while back I realized it had sat undisturbed and loaded for 10 years. I took it to the range and it functioned flawlessly.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    don't forget to look @ the maverick 88(mossberg), same as the mossberg 500. maverick link . price on the maverick is cheaper also.

I didn't think the Maverick safety is the same as the 500. I know when I was handling one of the lower end Mossbergs ar Bradis, it had a conventional close to trigger safety. I'm almost 80% sure. :D (I had been working a ton of hours at the time.)

Yeah, following that link it mentions cross bolt safety in front of trigger. I would believe that the 500 and 590 are closer to each other than the Maverick is to either in function and quality. The barrels are compatible, but the action is different. But know I'm wondering how different...

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    The Mav safety is in front of the trigger. The 500 has the safety on top of the reciever. I have owned both 500's and 590's. I prefer the 590 but for what you want to use it for I would suggest the Maverick. You can get all the features you want for a lot less bread.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I didn't think the Maverick safety is the same as the 500. I know when I was handling one of the lower end Mossbergs ar Bradis, it had a conventional close to trigger safety. I'm almost 80% sure. :D (I had been working a ton of hours at the time.)

Yeah, following that link it mentions cross bolt safety in front of trigger. I would believe that the 500 and 590 are closer to each other than the Maverick is to either in function and quality. The barrels are compatible, but the action is different.

That would be correct. The maverick safety is a cross bolt safety that's close to the trigger. Its kinda stiff, and makes a loud audible click. But it works. Plus its easier to get to with a pistol grip.

That being said, I'm seeling my Mav 88 to a friend, and I just purchased a 590a1. I've wanted one for a long time and I'm glad I did it finally. Am i glad I chose it over a 500? yes. Will it be my last shotgun? No I also plan on a semi auto in the future, just not sure which one I'm going to go with yet.

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    If it is going to be your only shotgun, I say get the 590. It is built like a tank!. The 500's have plastic trigger housings & safeties. the 590 is all steel. I have both and If I only were to have one, it would be my 590A1.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The 500's have plastic trigger housings & safeties. the 590 is all steel. I have both and If I only were to have one, it would be my 590A1.

The 590 also has a plastic trigger guard. Only the 590A1 has the steel as well as a heavier barrel.

If only one, I would recommend the 500 as additional barrels would easily allow a variety of uses. I have never seen an other than factory cylinder barrel for the 8 shot 590.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Yeah, following that link it mentions cross bolt safety in front of trigger. I would believe that the 500 and 590 are closer to each other than the Maverick is to either in function and quality. The barrels are compatible, but the action is different. But know I'm wondering how different...

The Maverick 88 is assembled in TX from domestic and internationally sourced (most believe from Mexico) parts, while the Mossberg 500 and 590 are built in CT from entirely US-made components. The 88 has a cross-bolt safety near the trigger rather than the ambidextrous slider at the back of the receiver, and the forearm is not compatible with the 500 (but the buttstock and barrel are).

The 590 differs from the 500 primarily in the design of the mag tube (open-ended for easy cleaning and adding of an extension) and how the barrel interfaces with it.

The 590A1 adds the heavy-walled barrel, parkerized finish, and metal trigger guard and safety slider instead of plastic.

HTH!

Nizidramaniiyt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    There isn't much difference between the two at all. They'll both go boom when you need them to, so it's really boils down to a personal preference. I have the 590 Mariner because I think it's a really great looking shotgun, but it wouldn't do the job any better than a 500.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    So if we can agree that the 590A1 is built the sturdiest, the question comes down to, do you need that kind of robustness? Obviously no one can answer than question 100% accurately as life likes curveballs, but if you feel confident the gun won't leave your house in a B-class movie run and gun fight, the lower price gun may be fine for you.

...extend that to include the Mavericks

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    If the difference in cost is not a budget breaker, go for the 590A1. Also will the shotgun be the only home defense firearm or is there also a hand gun? While like the shotgun, been a few times for myself and friends have had issues, that only the handgun was taken/used (i.e. ramps up when you least expect it and the handier hand gun was taken).

Over the last three dozen plus years have never been sorry for getting the better firearm (even more so optics), while have spend a few more dollars trading up later.

chrisrock101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    North Indy
    Yea I chose the 500 cause of the shorter tube.... Easier to swing around and handle. For home defence you really dont need the few "extra rounds" but both good guns. best of luck to ya

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i like mine but the stock was a little long for me so i put the ATI collapsable stock on it and its perfect for me... Plus the bayonet on the end is cool as hell to

Top Bottom