• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I just picked up a Mossberg 590 (#50660), and I've run into two issues. Feel free to help me out with one, the other, or both.

1. Magazine Cap Interference
    I can't say that I'm impressed with the tolerance stacking around the magazine cap (barrel screw/cap). It screws and unscrews just fine (there is no issue with cross-threading), but getting it back on after removing the barrel is a little bit of a pain. There's about a 1/4" of smooth metal on the magazine tube before the threads start. To get the magazine cap started onto the threads, I have to rock it back and forth over the smooth part because the OD of the tube interferes with the ID of the cap. Has anybody else had this problem? The magazine cap on my Browning BPS goes on like butter, so I'm a little disappointed with Mossberg on this one.

2. Swivel Stud Direction
    My 590 has two possible locations for the swivel stud. One is on the end of the magazine cap. The other is behind the "accessory lug" (which is where I would prefer it). The manual says to tighten it until the through-hole is oriented horizontally (which I assume to be like this picture). When my swivel stud is finger tight, it's a little more than 90 degrees from that position (i.e. vertical). I'm afraid to tighten it a full 90 degrees with a wrench for fear that the threads will strip out. I tried removing the tiny washer, but that didn't help with the positioning either. Should I just go for it and see what happens?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I just picked up a Mossberg 590 (#50660), and I've run into two issues. Feel free to help me out with one, the other, or both.

1. Magazine Cap Interference
    I can't say that I'm impressed with the tolerance stacking around the magazine cap (barrel screw/cap). It screws and unscrews just fine (there is no issue with cross-threading), but getting it back on after removing the barrel is a little bit of a pain. There's about a 1/4" of smooth metal on the magazine tube before the threads start. To get the magazine cap started onto the threads, I have to rock it back and forth over the smooth part because the OD of the tube interferes with the ID of the cap. Has anybody else had this problem? The magazine cap on my Browning BPS goes on like butter, so I'm a little disappointed with Mossberg on this one.

2. Swivel Stud Direction
    My 590 has two possible locations for the swivel stud. One is on the end of the magazine cap. The other is behind the "accessory lug" (which is where I would prefer it). The manual says to tighten it until the through-hole is oriented horizontally (which I assume to be like this picture). When my swivel stud is finger tight, it's a little more than 90 degrees from that position (i.e. vertical). I'm afraid to tighten it a full 90 degrees with a wrench for fear that the threads will strip out. I tried removing the tiny washer, but that didn't help with the positioning either. Should I just go for it and see what happens?

1. polish and or sand down the smooth metal portion to give it a little tolerance to it will slide on easier... might first try some oil, either way be careful and take your time, you wouldnt want to remove to much metal.

2. a cheapy plastic spacer from brownells.... if it doesnt time up correctly you can sand it down until it does.... a touch of blue locktight to make sure vibration doesnt make it wiggle free.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    The Magazine cap issue if I understand this correctly is a quality control issue I feel Mossberg should as least be made aware of. I would actually contact Mossberg and have them fix this issue, then while its there ask them to time your swivel stud properly, I would think they would be happy to do this without charge.
    Both issues can be fixed as Indy stated and the fixes are relatively easy to accomplish if thats the route you want to go.

Top Bottom