• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I bought a lever action in 30-30 , the guy said it was a MARLIN. I trusted him because it looked like a MARLIN 336. I just found out that it was a MOSSBERG M72 . Never knew mossberg made a lever action 30-30? This gun LOOKS EXACTLY like a 336.It is in excellent condition for its age.I bought it in upper michigan when I lived up there. It says WESTERNFIELD stamped on gun.This guy told me that marlin had mossberg make guns for them to sell in MONTGOMERY WARDS and SEARS.This gun is mint and I havent had a chance to shoot it yet.Bore is very clean and wood is mint.Does anybody have any experience with this model , it caught me off guard big time.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Monkey Wards and Sears and Rarebuck used to be excellent sources for less expensive firearms. Winchester, Mossberg, Marlin and heck, even Dan Wesson made their model 15 with Sears name on it.

I worked for Sears while in nursing school and their copy of a Winchester 94 would cost me $54 after employee discount and you even got Ted Williams engraved autograph.

Is isn't just that it looks like a 336, it is a 336 just with a different name. Enjoy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a lever action in 30-30 , the guy said it was a MARLIN. I trusted him because it looked like a MARLIN 336. I just found out that it was a MOSSBERG M72 . Never knew mossberg made a lever action 30-30? This gun LOOKS EXACTLY like a 336.It is in excellent condition for its age.I bought it in upper michigan when I lived up there. It says WESTERNFIELD stamped on gun.This guy told me that marlin had mossberg make guns for them to sell in MONTGOMERY WARDS and SEARS.This gun is mint and I havent had a chance to shoot it yet.Bore is very clean and wood is mint.Does anybody have any experience with this model , it caught me off guard big time.
    Yes, it is a 336, but that's not the only .30-30 Mossberg has made.
    I have a model 464 in .30-30, and it is one sweet rifle.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Out of curiosity… do you remember what you paid?
    Regardless… that’s a sweet find!
    I’ve owned a lot of “store” brands over the years especially .22’s! There’s a lot of hidden gems out there.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Out of curiosity… do you remember what you paid?
    Regardless… that’s a sweet find!
    I’ve owned a lot of “store” brands over the years especially .22’s! There’s a lot of hidden gems out there.
    I paid 600 dollars for it about 11 yrs ago when I lived in northern michigan , but didnt use it because I bought a ENCORE PISTOL in 308 and used it for deer.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Bellmore-Johnson designed it for Mossberg for Montgomery Ward. It was exclusive to Ward for a couple years before being a Mossberg model.
    It is not a Marlin action.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    They were considered the "poor mans rifle" back then, therefore, I had several...
    Exactly right. My folks were young and we were little. They didn't have two nickels to rub together but Mom wanted dad to be able to hunt again. He gave it up when he got married and the kids came.
    I believe it's a 1949.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nothing wrong with any of those store model name firearms that were made by Mossberg, Stevens, Savage, Noble and others. That was when even plain jane stuff was expected to give good service. Add to them Coast to Coast hardware, Kresge's, Western Auto, it was all reliable and durable.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The "Gill guns" or "Click clack guns", the Stevens 87 and 87A. I had a hardware gun of this model that all the internals were chrome plated! Don't ask me why, I am sure the store stipulated this but it sure was a surprise to see. I guess you could say it was better than the name brand...

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    All us old guys remember the days when you could walk into a pawnshop, gun shop, and see used '94's and 336's for $100-150 range....when I get that time machine working, I am so dominating the market!!!!
    Bannerman's here I come!!!

What if it's a Hot Tub Time Machine?
    Will there be enough eye bleach to clean up the after effects?

Top Bottom