• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a 5.56 Mossberg MPV Predator and out of the box while I was cleaning it I noticed a light brown stain on the cloth I was using to wipe down the barrel. I continued to add oil and wipe down the barrel. a few days later I applied hoppes 9 and again found what looks like rust. I applied Rem oil and wiped down several times. I thought Mossberg was a quality product, however now I am wondering if they use cheap China steel. Anyone own one of these MPV rifles and have the same problem. I have not taken it out to shoot yet, but now I am wondering if this rifle will hold up over time

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    if you figure out why it is doing this and what your solution is, if you find one, please post it here.
    i am thinking of getting one and now i have to pause until you post more info on what you discover.
    thanks for posting this info and good luck, i hope it just goes away.
    those rifles look nice.
    which model MVP did you get? which barrel?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just so you know:

Chinese steel doesn't automatically = crap steel

USA-made steel doesn't automatically = great steel

I see from their website that the finish is "matte blue". I wonder if it's somehow related to a finish issue - rather than a steel issue. Bluing is, after all, a very controlled and very thin layer of rust. And rust-removers will also remove bluing.
    Be sure you're not harming your rifle with the product you're wiping it down with.

-J-

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I believe Indy_guy_77 hit the root cause on the head. Tonight I checked the barrel by rubbing it with an old white t-shirt and the shirt remained clean. I had used hobbes 9 and lightly covered the barrel a wiped dry a few times last night and then lightly oiled the barrel with Rem Oil. So the issue must have been a residue as a result of the bluing.

I had been looking for a year for the bench rest MVP, but even with the help of two gun shops non have been available. So at the Indy-1500, I saw two on a table one with a scope (not the same quality as advertised by Mossberg) and one without. There was no bipod either, and the kicker is I just left the show without it. I called my wife on the way home and she told me to go back and get it maybe I could find an aftermarket stock someday or one myself since I used to make furniture as a hobby. So I turned around, paid entrance fee a second time and found the dealer again and bought it. I was assured it was new, but I checked the chamber and bolt carefully and there was no wear or scratches. I was hopping to shoot it this weekend, and still might get out to do it.

By the way, over the last year I have seen this model (predato 18 inch barrel) increase in price over 200 dollars. I paid 569 which included a low grade scope, but if it shoots well, I will replace that item. I sent an email to Mossberg and asked how to get a bench-rest stock, but have not received a reply yet.

Top Bottom