• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I dont keep up with all the new guns coming out , and dont know how long this one has been out? But has anybody had any experience with this 30/30 from MOSSBERG? Read a little about it but not much found really , cant find many reviews on gun from actual users.When I lived for 8 years outside of Traverse City Mich. I would go to local gun show , and when I walked in the first time I went to it , out of 50 tables , 49 of them had 30/30 lever rifles and some had 10 of them on the table. Havent been to a gun show up there in 10 years , wondering how it is up there now.Looking for a 30/30 now but not too many around that isnt high.Mossberg looked promising though , price was right too.THANKS for any feedback guys.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I don't keep up with all the new guns manufacturers release, nor do I know how long this one has been out. Does anyone have any experience with this 30/30 from MOSSBERG? I read a little about it, but couldn't find much. There also aren't many reviews on the gun from actual users. When I lived outside of Traverse City for eight years, I would go to local gun show. The first time I went to it , 49 out of 50 tables had 30/30 lever rifles. Some had 10 of them on the table. Haven't been to a gun show up there in 10 years. I am wondering how it is up there now. I'm looking for a 30/30 now, but there aren't too many around that aren't what I would consider overpriced. The Mossberg looks promising and the price seems about right. Thank you in advance for any advice you could give me.
    Fixed.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    There are several reasons that lever actions are hard to find right now. One reason is that since Ruger has purchased Marlin, they apparently stopped production on most rifles and currently only offer the Guide in 45-70. Henry is having problems keeping up with demand partially due to material availability. The new tactical lever gun fad has caused the used market to dry up and the ones still available are priced pretty high.

I have no experience with the Mossberg, but I'd rather have something that has been around a while and has a bigger aftermarket.

I'm in the market for a 30/30 myself, but want a Marlin 336.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a Mossberg 464 30-30. It's not a Henry or Winchester, or even a Rossi for that matter. It had problems at first with feeding and hanging up but I was able to smooth it out with some valve grinding compound. It runs pretty good now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Mossberg 464 Davison's exclusive offering in .30-30.
    Beautiful gun and is worth the asking price, or it was when I bought mine.
    Bought it new more than 5 years ago.
    I've taken at least 3 deer with it.
    I would highly recommend the Mossberg 464.
    It's a solid built rifle, and mine is great looking too.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_181652772.jpg
      IMG_20221219_181652772.jpg
      270.1 KB · Views: 34

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010

Is that a tang safety? I think that would drive me nuts, especially if my hand rested on it while shooting.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is that a tang safety? I think that would drive me nuts, especially if my hand rested on it while shooting.
    Yes, it is a tang safety, but my hand doesn't even come close to it when I'm shooting.
    That, and I grew up with the tang safety on my Mossberg 500 shotgun.
    I actually prefer the tang safety.
    It's what I learned to shoot.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I got mine at Gander 10 years ago. It's the cheaper model. The safety doesn't get in the way.

IMG_1179.png

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I recently traded an INGO member for his Mossberg 464 30/30. I wasn't really looking for this gun ans I already have a Rossi & A Marlin. However, it is a good looking gun in stainless with grey wood. Action is not as smooth as the other lever guns, but it works.

The only thing I do not like about it is that there is a hammer block safety that requires you to squeeze the lever closed against the bottom of the grip in order to get the hammer to fall. It occurs pretty naturally, but I just don't like it. Luckily, youtube has a fix for that.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I recently traded an INGO member for his Mossberg 464 30/30. I wasn't really looking for this gun ans I already have a Rossi & A Marlin. However, it is a good looking gun in stainless with grey wood. Action is not as smooth as the other lever guns, but it works.

The only thing I do not like about it is that there is a hammer block safety that requires you to squeeze the lever closed against the bottom of the grip in order to get the hammer to fall. It occurs pretty naturally, but I just don't like it. Luckily, youtube has a fix for that.
    How is the trigger ? being a rough action I dont mind , should smooth out with use.But trigger is important. W0uld you consider a trade maybe ?

Top Bottom