• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    My 10 year old saw one of these at the local shop and has been bugging me ever since. Its priced right and looks neat. I know the action is based off the 702 plinkster which is a great gun but handling this thing seems to me that if it were dropped or treated rough the stock would crack easy. He is "slowly" going to get into 3 gun competition someday as in years down the road but I figure the earlier he can get his feet wet the better. He already trains with his marlin 60 which has been dropped and beat up pretty good and it hasn't broken. Just wondering your thoughts?

3badkids

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had the same thoughts about it when I bought mine. The deciding factor for me was the weight of it and you cant beat the price ($260-$280). My son was 7 then. It's got to be the lightest .22 rifle out there and the weight plays a major part in his ability to be able to hold the gun steady and focus on aiming rather than struggling with just holding the gun. And it looks cool (son tells everyone he has an AR -LOL!) As far as durability I can't honestly say how durable it is but then again how could one hurt it ? just don't expect it to still work if you find your son smacking it up against a tree but I think you'll find it durable enough. If durability is your sole concern and that same price range is what you want to spend then a Ruger 10/22 is a no brainer. The SW MP22 is ok but if you're going to spend that much ($450 ish) go ahead and buy a sig522 *The best and most reliable .22 rifle I've owned and I've owned and shot about all of them. Here's a pic of my "tactical" .22lr guns and in the order that I rate them for me (Top = Best/favorite) beretta and GSG actually is a Tie. The Mossberg (bottom) I can't say as I've not shot it much as it is my sons but he's pretty accurate with it.

IMG_1201(2).jpg

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I would agree with the M&P advice. More money but a more realistic AR action. I have both and the Mossberg does not compare. But after saying that if you dont have the cash and want to get shooting buy the Mossberg.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Had one. It broke and would have required a trip back to Mossberg to fix. Sold it to a guy this summer who didn't care. I've seen a couple others at the range and the owners were having various issues. They "look cool" but I'd rather have a Mossberg 60 if I were to do that again.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I was lucky and picked up a HK 416 in .22lr for a great price. If you can find a used HK I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am sure other AR15 .22lr clones work well. Pick up a HK and you will amazed at the fit and feel compared to the other clones.

Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom