• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Just looking for opinions and reviews? I have a few Ruger long guns and a few Savages. The Savages really seem to be a heck of a gun for the $$. Seems like most Rugers have less than desired triggers out of the box.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    It would be tough to beat a T/C venture . I don't own one in a 22-250 but I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 204 . The 204 shoots just under 1'' groups @ 100 and the 7mm shoots right at 1/2" @ 100 using factory Hornady rds. I can't imagine a 22-250 being any different . If you hand load , they would be even better . (maybe)

They have nice triggers . I would say about 3-4 lbs pull and little to no creep and break nice and crisp . They're not the best triggers I've shot but they are damn good .
    I have a couple savage rifles and I would take the T/C over them . They're pretty close but the T/C would get my vote .

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    All the top manufactures are putting out the best product of their life, The savages are usually good but If I had to put money I would have to go to the Rem 700, and with good break in and hand loading you should get good accuracy out of the varmint line or just about any, With the low priced guns you get a good action and barrel and a junk stock that reacts to forearm pressure ect. The other stocks they offer each cost more money and are better stocks.

You can spend alot more money on the factory custom guns. The coopers will shoot all day long.

Or go buy the cheapest short action 700 with the right bolt face and build the gun you want.

You didn't give a budget,

None of it will matter if you don't put good optics, mounts, and ammo in it. Everyone gripes about triggers but a trigger doesn't make a gun more accurate, It makes you more consistent. So just because a rifle has a 6lb trigger that doesnt mean it can't be shot well. But a good trigger also gives you more latitude on the bench.

I have went the route of building the rifles I want and have been happy

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a pre accutrigger Savage 110 that I just took out of the box. Mounted a 4.5-14x40 Nikon on it and it shoots factory 40 grn Rem ammo through the same hole. What a great rifle! I also have a Ruger M77 and it is also a very nice gun. Like the feel and performance of the Savage better.

Given a choice my AR is in my hands over any bolt gun.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I had 2 Remington a 700SPS and a Sendero. The sendero would shoot circles around the sps . If I had to do it all over again I would go with a CZ or Savage for the money.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I have a Ruger 22-250 that is very accurate but the trigger is not near as nice as the Savages.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    what kind of loads are you shooting Saber.

I use Remington Accutip - i think they are like 50grain, I've been using these for a few years because they are very consistent and at least once a year there is a good rebate on them.
    I probably should experiment with something else but this rifle/scope (4-12 Leupold VX-!) shoots more accurate than i can!

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Appreciate it. I have shot 45gr,50 gr and 55 gr vmax's and trying to fine tune a load in (that I can find the powder for).

I like the savages...haven't been around the CZ's but heard allot of good about them. a good friend of mine just the other night told me to buy a cooper I had never heard of them before that.

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    one thing I did run across while looking at a hornady reloading manual is the on the 52 and 55 gr vmax's you need a 1 in 12 twist to stabilize the bullet. didn't see that in other books. could be part of the reason I have been having issues shooting that bullet out of a ruger 22/250 that has a 1 in 14 twist.

Top Bottom