• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Wow, this thread could use some actually helpful posts. Ill try and get it back on track.

The most accurate off the shelf load I've shot is this odd ball that Magtech makes. Its a 95 grain JSP. Its shot exceptionally well in any pistol I've grouped it through. Down side being that its hard to find.
    th-2949733082.jpg
    Runner up is Geco 9mm 124 grain. Specifically..... Swiss made. I bought all I could. Stuff shot great. Go to buy more and the groups opened up..... Look at the box and see the new batch came from the US.
    th-1599913602.jpg
    Like anything else, try several different kinds and see what groups best. Typically I see match loads usually in the form of 147 JHPs but have never tried any personally.

With proper shooter technique and testing procedures I think you'll see SOME differences between loads. 9mm is just as accurate as any other standard caliber. The differences in accuracy largely lie in the build of the pistol rather than the caliber.

Not to infuriate any Fudds out there but.... My Colt Government Model .45 and my Glock 17 both shoot just under 3 inch groups at 25 yards off. Same accuracy for the most part. Only difference being that the 1911 is easier for me to be accurate with.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wow, this thread could use some actually helpful posts. Ill try and get it back on track.

The most accurate off the shelf load I've shot is this odd ball that Magtech makes. Its a 95 grain JSP. Its shot exceptionally well in any pistol I've grouped it through. Down side being that its hard to find.
    View attachment 257705
    Runner up is Geco 9mm 124 grain. Specifically..... Swiss made. I bought all I could. Stuff shot great. Go to buy more and the groups opened up..... Look at the box and see the new batch came from the US.
    View attachment 257706
    Like anything else, try several different kinds and see what groups best. Typically I see match loads usually in the form of 147 JHPs but have never tried any personally.

With proper shooter technique and testing procedures I think you'll see SOME differences between loads. 9mm is just as accurate as any other standard caliber. The differences in accuracy largely lie in the build of the pistol rather than the caliber.

Not to infuriate any Fudds out there but.... My Colt Government Model .45 and my Glock 17 both shoot just under 3 inch groups at 25 yards off. Same accuracy for the most part. Only difference being that the 1911 is easier for me to be accurate with.
    I have not found Mag tech to be all that accurate but have not tried that specific round. I have seen that Geco before but never tried it, I may have to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have not found Mag tech to be all that accurate but have not tried that specific round. I have seen that Geco before but never tried it, I may have to.

The Geco stuff was OK. Good Glock food. It always went bang. Otherwise nothing special. Shoots like any other 124 grain NATO type load.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just want to say when I say Hornady XTP and HAP bullets I mean I reload them. Not factory made ammunition.
    So my load is Tailored to my specific firearms.

That said try some Hornady American Gunner 124gr XTP and 147gr XTP. They might shoot well for you.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Just want to say when I say Hornady XTP and HAP bullets I mean I reload them. Not factory made ammunition.
    So my load is Tailored to my specific firearms.

That said try some Hornady American Gunner 124gr XTP and 147gr XTP. They might shoot well for you.

Yes , if I was looking for 9mm accuracy in factory ammo I would try (if I could afford to) Hornady ammo with XTP bullets. Reloads with XTP and HAP bullets have shot very well for me in every caliber I have tried them in - from 380 to 44 mag. In factory ammo I tried a box of 90 grain XTP 380 that shot very well for me.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Store bought seems pretty much the same for what I use it for.

If I'm chasing accuracy, I'm at the press. (Particularly for long gun hunting, but that's a much different matter)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes , if I was looking for 9mm accuracy in factory ammo I would try (if I could afford to) Hornady ammo with XTP bullets. Reloads with XTP and HAP bullets have shot very well for me in every caliber I have tried them in - from 380 to 44 mag. In factory ammo I tried a box of 90 grain XTP 380 that shot very well for me.
    My 44mag and 10mm love XTP bullets. Very accurate, and well designed for high velocity handguns.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    you might find this guys videos interesting. Search @ShootingTheBull410 on YouTube.
    A few years back he did a series of videos testing 9mm defensive ammo with a 3” barrel pistol. Not sure I agree with all his finding but some of the results were interesting. Warning, you can kill an afternoon easy watching but fast forward is your friend.
    The issue with shooting the bull. He gets too wrapped up on minuscule amounts of under or over penetration. And as far as that whole 12-18” yes that’s the standard however ammo makers make ammo tailored for duty size pistols u less specified (like Gold Dit Shirt barrel) and even then it’s untbgoing to be like a service size gun.

That said Fed 147 HST seems to be decent in about everything.

And with 9mm I have found the heavier the better accuracy with target or self defense. 146 is better than 124 but 124 is better than 115 if one is splitting hairs

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The internet is wonderful at being able to produce "facts" that support our assertions.;)
    Well I knew IME AE 147's shoot well and Blazer Brass doesn't. I also know there can be a big difference between accuracy of rounds, even I was surprised at just how big a difference. At least in the testers gun out of a random rest.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Would have been nice if he used a 9mm that was capable of match accuracy too. My Glock could shoot better than some of the results he was getting but I am not using factory ammo either. Still interesting , thanks for posting.

Top Bottom