• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am looking at getting a Browning gold and it says they are chambered for either 3" or 3 1/2".. I realize that the 2 3/4 shells have the same diameter so it will load, but will a 3" chambered gun still work the same when loaded with 2 3/4? As far as loading and extracting?

Don't make fun of me too much guys :dunno: I am a newbie too shotguns.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A few years ago the NRA did a test in their magazine and found that shooting shot shells that were shorter than what the shotgun was chambered for actually produced a better pattern. They reported that a 2 3/4 shell in a 3 inch chamber did pattern better than a 2 3/4 in a 2 3/4 chamber.

I would get the 3 1/2 if possible and enjoy the best of all worlds.

As for loading and extracting, no problems.

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I figured it would be okay, since the primer caps are same diameter, the extracter and firing mechanism shouldn't be too much different other than maybe the piston. I am looking at getting the Browning Gold sporting clays edition though.;

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You should not have trouble shooting a shorter than specified shell. Now, trying to shoot one larger may pose problems...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The only thing I've heard about some 3 1/2" shotguns are with issues on light trap loads. They just have a hard time cycling the lighter loads but some guns are better than others on handling the broader range of shot shell loads.

Just make sure you post a pic of the new weapon!

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I will for sure, its a new one so its pretty! I found that almost all the sporting clays models are in 2.75 due to thats the common clay shooting round. So I wont have to worry about the shooting shorts in a 3 or 3.5 chambered gun!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I will for sure, its a new one so its pretty! I found that almost all the sporting clays models are in 2.75 due to thats the common clay shooting round. So I wont have to worry about the shooting shorts in a 3 or 3.5 chambered gun!

Exactly! I ask myself "Why would I want to buy a gun that does everything?" That would mean I couldn't justify getting one specifically for duck/goose another for turkey and still yet another one or two for skeet, trap and sporting clays!

Top Bottom