• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So a short time ago I was watching one of those "Behind the Music" things about Pantera. Of course it got to the murder of Dimebag Darryl and the others at the Damageplan concert in Ohio. I have linked to video of the incident along with an interview with the officer. The video and interview with band members on the show I watched set a different tone though.

In the Behind the Music interview, they often went back to talking with the drum tech who apparently locked up with the shooter in an attempt to stop him from killing anyone else. According to this report, the tech was shot multiple times while telling the shooter to drop the gun and holding on to him. He says the shooter just kept telling him to "knock it off". This isn't really mad clear in the video I linked to which is from a different point of view.

What is shown is the responding officers point of view and actions. Much like in an article I wrote recently, this officer was not IMHO prepared for the actions he had to take. Watch not only his approach, but watch especially as he is walking away.

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=713_1224801938]LiveLeak.com - The Night Dimebag Darrell Was Killed (2004)[/ame]

This could go in carry issues and self defense as well. Horse apiece I guess.:dunno:

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's your opinion of how to create a prepaired mind in students? Clearly his law enforcement training left him unprepared. Do you think there is a difference in the mindset necessary to shoot defensively and the mindset necessary to shoot proactively?

Just a couple of simple questions.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What's your opinion of how to create a prepaired mind in students? Clearly his law enforcement training left him unprepared. Do you think there is a difference in the mindset necessary to shoot defensively and the mindset necessary to shoot proactively?

Just a couple of simple questions.

I do have some thoughts on that David. Not time to post them right now, but I will get back to you and the others. Meantime, anyone chime in here, lets work it out.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Its hard to teach proactive mindset to some students, because it goes to their very personality. A passive, non alpha person will have a much harder time turning on the aggression or angry switch.

That has been my experience training people to fight with guns.

Not saying it can't be done, but it is an uphill battle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    I am a Crossfit coach. This is the General Physical Preparedness program used by our State Police in the fine state of Indiana. I teach that outlook will always equal your outcome. You have to resolve that you will not give up fail or anything of the like. This is a fitness mantra, but translates to combat. There is good stuff put out by a Navy Seal called Sealfit. Google it. It is all about mental preparedness in many areas of life. The Proverbs say "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Preacher, as a survival instructor, I can tell you, mindset also has a lot to do with who survives and who does not in a life or death scenario. The will to survive (ie mindset) can carry a man very far, when others have given up.

Combat? Same.

Incarcaration/POW? Same

Cancer? Same.

Will to prevail. To survive is very important. And then there is something else. More than survival.

That is to dominate, crush and destroy your enemy, until the fight is over. The will to run that bowie all the way to his spine and look him in the eyes when you do it. The will to pull the trigger. The will to destroy everything in your path to win.

If you dont have that, you will do okay, but you will not dominate the battlefield.

And I will end on this, as it feeds back into preacher's comment. Mindset is a daily thing, that is woven throughout your life. Someone who is 100 pounds overweight and smokes, does not train in empty hand combat and only carries when "he needs to" does not have the proper mindset to win a fight. He has already set himself up to lose. You train hard, every single day to win your fight. THATs mindset.

Top Bottom