Mother and Daughter did not use Father's pistol to defend themselves.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    From the article, it sounds like they stored their Smith & Wesson 9mm in a kitchen cabinet.Not only did they reportedly fail to retrieve the firearm and defend themselves, but the gun was unsecured and the robber walked off with it, along with other items.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    nowhere near enough information to make snap judgments. We don't know the layout of the home. The mom and daughter were upstairs. The thief was in the living room. Do you have to cross the living room to get to the kitchen? Seems like the OP is being a bit rash.

edited: Perhaps not the OP, but certainly McGrease08

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    nowhere near enough information to make snap judgments. We don't know the layout of the home. The mom and daughter were upstairs. The thief was in the living room. Do you have to cross the living room to get to the kitchen? Seems like the OP is being a bit rash.

As I said, I was not there so I can't judge. My frustration is that my own wife is afraid of guns and probably not use one to defend herself either. I have tried to encourage her to learn to shoot but she will have none of it. My kids (grown now), on the other hand shoot every gun I own.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    As I said, I was not there so I can't judge. My frustration is that my own wife is afraid of guns and probably not use one to defend herself either. I have tried to encourage her to learn to shoot but she will have none of it. My kids (grown now), on the other hand shoot every gun I own.

I must have edited my post at the same time you were posting.

I'm fairly certain my wife would arm herself if possible. She hasn't gotten over her fear of guns, but has gone to the range and knows what to expect when it goes bang.

JAW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Spencerville
    Working on teaching my wife the basics of firearm safety and shooting. I hope she never has to put it to use, but better safe than sorry. We now have a one year old daughter and I think that stresses the importance of having the ability to keep those you love safe. I hear a lot of people ask, could you shoot someone that was in your house? Or I don't know if I could do it. I can tell you that I would absolutely pull the trigger. That is the risk that anyone willing to break into someone else's home is taking.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Far as I'm concerned, it' pretty tough to second guess an episode that ends in no death and no injury.

A million things could always be done differently, but you can't argue with the result.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We don't know the layout of the home. The mom and daughter were upstairs. The thief was in the living room. Do you have to cross the living room to get to the kitchen? Seems like the OP is being a bit rash.

edited: Perhaps not the OP, but certainly McGrease08

Seems like one of the problems with stash guns. People seem to think they'll know ahead of time when they'll need it or that they can get to it in time without being cut off or cut down. Maybe. The closest gun to you is always the one you're wearing, though, and its real tough for the bad guy to get between you and it.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    They both lived and were unharmed. They did nothing wrong. Some arent capable of taking a life or maybe she didnt want to take a life with her 10 yr old witnessing the event. Who knows. Thank God they are alive and unharmed.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    They both lived and were unharmed. They did nothing wrong. Some arent capable of taking a life or maybe she didnt want to take a life with her 10 yr old witnessing the event. Who knows. Thank God they are alive and unharmed.

The choice to either harm or not harm them was delegated to the criminal. Often, that choice goes the wrong way and good people end up dead. The mother was in full condition white in her own home while charged with the protection of her child. When she heard the noise, she should have armed herself. The gun should have been kept where she could do that, not down in a kitchen cabinet. We are living in dangerous times and need to take the protection of our loved ones seriously.

Far as I'm concerned, it' pretty tough to second guess an episode that ends in no death and no injury.

A million things could always be done differently, but you can't argue with the result.

Except that another scumbag has been promoted from knife wielding thug to pistol armed thug. Had the wife been trained and had the right mindset, the thug would have either been arrested or ran from the house. Or, better yet, been eliminated completely.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    She did not retrieve the family pistol and blow that SOB away.

Like I said, I don't know the details, but I suspect they would not know how to use it. I realize the girl was only 10 years
    old so I wouldn't expect much from her.

Some people have neither the desire nor the intestinal fortitude to drop the hammer on another person.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    The article implies that the pistol was found while going through all the kitchen cabinets (and drawers?). At least that's how i read it. I could very well be wrong. If so, Mom had no opportunity to arm herself upon discovery of the threat. She came down the stairs to check on a noise. The kitchen is downstairs in those apartments/townhomes, typically close to the back door. Suspect would have already been between her and it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Guess things are different around here, but I always thought home defense firearms were kept in the bedroom. Most break-ins occur during sleeping hours so it only makes sense.

Let's hope this criminal doesn't go on later to kill somebody.

raptorracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Not enough valid information in the post for anyone to post there true beliefs. As long as the bad guy or guys got put behind bars and the innocent people are rest assured in the situation it makes me feel better. The world is just too crazy out there and the bad stuff even happens in areas of Indiana that we never expected them to be. Where is a true safe area in Indiana to live, school our children, trust our community?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Except that another scumbag has been promoted from knife wielding thug to pistol armed thug. Had the wife been trained and had the right mindset, the thug would have either been arrested or ran from the house. Or, better yet, been eliminated completely.

Again, there is no guarantee. I'm all for self-defense, but self-defense is not "judge, jury, and executioner."

Top Bottom