• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My mother-in-law just applied for her permit and is looking for a carry gun. She's very inexperienced and has a lot of trouble with slides on autos. I tried teaching her the technique that's been posted here and that didn't really help her. She was looking at a Ruger LCP with laser and she didn't do too well with the slide on my Keltech. Being such a small slide didn't help either. I let her shoot my Keltech and she didn't think it was very comfortable. I let her shoot my Glock 22 to try to get her in a bigger frame to see what she thought of that. That was too much.

A local dealer recommended a snub nose 38 and let her borrow it to shoot a few rounds to see what she thought. It was a Smith Airweight and she did pretty decent with it. She struggled pulling the trigger with the hammer down so I had her pull the hammer back and shoot it in single action. She handled it pretty well and kept a decent group at about 15' for her first time shooting it.

If she goes with a revolver, I'd recommend a hammerless for safety reasons. I've owned very few revolvers so I don't know if new ones have built in hammer safeties if she were to snag the hammer getting it in and out of her purse. I told her she would need to buy some snap caps and practice pulling the trigger in double action so she can get the feel of shooting it.

So far, she's looked at a Charter Arms Pink Lady at Gander Mountain and the local dealer recommended a Charter Arms Off Duty that is hammerless. Is Charter Arms comparable to Smith and others? What other snubbies would you guys recommend in the $400 range?

Thanks in advance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My MIL has the same issues. Trouble working the slide and trouble with double-action. She is a crack shot single action, but realizes that isn't reasonable for self defense.

She did the absolute best with my Walther P22 (she and my wife both). So, I've thought about picking up a PK380 for them to try. Similar size, similar feel, light recoil spring, and manageable recoil.

As for snubbies, a friend of my wife's has had a pink hammerless (don't know the manufacturer, but I'm sure she didn't spend a bunch on it) bouncing around in her purse for years. She blows the lint out at the range every once and a while. Works every time.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Charter makes a good gun, but nothing compared to a Smith or Ruger. IMO- charter guns are meant for the exact purpose you're describing, a lot of purse time and not much range time. I owned a Charter .38 and carried it for a few years and loved it. I saved those few years to be able to move up.
    Yes, Charter is in the $400 range, but I believe the S&W 642 is as well.
    Like I said, Charter makes a "good" gun, but personally I'd opt for the 642. Especially since S&W is known for their smooth triggers.
    Good luck.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Your a brave man arming your mother in law.

My wifes first hand gun was a S&W Air Weight 38. It was less then $400.00 but had little bit of bite to it with the factory wood grips. It was hamerless and overall a great gun. I made the mistake of letting her shoot my Tarus Judge. Now I am in the market for a new Judge for myself.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It should go without saying, but are you really sure you want to help arm your MIL? OK, as long as you're sure. If pulling the DA trigger is a concern, I would say the Smith can be made to pull the smoothest.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. No, my MIL isn't a cheerleader.:laugh: I guess I won't be able to make fun of her cooking any more. How is the Ruger LCR on trigger pull? I do think going hammerless is the best idea for her. Pulling it out of a purse is troublesome enough, let alone dealing with a thumb break holster. I'd be much less concerned with the hammer getting snagged carrying it on my hip than I would be digging it out of a purse. I'll look at the Smith 642's.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    My Lady likes to shoot our SP101(transfer bar). The weight (stainless) tames the .357 to the point of being indistinguishable from the .38's. She has not shot anything to compare it to. She likes it so well, she would like her own for her night stand. If we were ever awoken in the night and had to let them sing, I can clearly see us bleeding from the ears and the ensuing total loss of hearing...

She wanted an auto and found only 2 that she could rack. The S&W MPs and the Beretta 92FS. She got a Shield and now she wants an INOX made in the USA. So, guess what I have been looking for NIB...

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    My wife has trouble racking the slide as well. She could rack a Walther P 22 so I bought one for her for Christmas. I figured once she gets her muscle memory down we could move her up to something bigger. It just sucks waiting until Christmas because I bought one for myself to that she dosnt know about.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Granted, I don't know your mother-in-law, but thinking about mine, one of these models comes to mind ... :D

backwardgImage1.jpg

gun-control-awareness-backwards-gun-small-53151.jpg

jwatkins383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    MD
    Pistol

Ruger LC or LC9 gets my vote! and now they come with lasers......Something I really don't back much but for a selfdefense gun no woories about giving your position away b/c its usually pulled for ohhhhh crap senarios

My mother-in-law just applied for her permit and is looking for a carry gun. She's very inexperienced and has a lot of trouble with slides on autos. I tried teaching her the technique that's been posted here and that didn't really help her. She was looking at a Ruger LCP with laser and she didn't do too well with the slide on my Keltech. Being such a small slide didn't help either. I let her shoot my Keltech and she didn't think it was very comfortable. I let her shoot my Glock 22 to try to get her in a bigger frame to see what she thought of that. That was too much.

A local dealer recommended a snub nose 38 and let her borrow it to shoot a few rounds to see what she thought. It was a Smith Airweight and she did pretty decent with it. She struggled pulling the trigger with the hammer down so I had her pull the hammer back and shoot it in single action. She handled it pretty well and kept a decent group at about 15' for her first time shooting it.

If she goes with a revolver, I'd recommend a hammerless for safety reasons. I've owned very few revolvers so I don't know if new ones have built in hammer safeties if she were to snag the hammer getting it in and out of her purse. I told her she would need to buy some snap caps and practice pulling the trigger in double action so she can get the feel of shooting it.

So far, she's looked at a Charter Arms Pink Lady at Gander Mountain and the local dealer recommended a Charter Arms Off Duty that is hammerless. Is Charter Arms comparable to Smith and others? What other snubbies would you guys recommend in the $400 range?

Thanks in advance.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What other snubbies would you guys recommend in the $400 range? ...

Given all you've said, I'd suggest the Ruger LCR (available in 38spl, 357mag, and 22lr).

If she needs more recoil reduction she could try something heavier like an SP101 at the expense of lightness/"carriability."

You mentioned she tried your G22. Was it the size or the caliber that was too much for her? Depending, another logical thing for her to try would be the 9mms like the G17/19. Less recoil, and easier to rack the slide than the .40. A G19 carries 3x the payload of the centerfire Rugers above in about the same size package (although heavier).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The G22 was too big physically, too much recoil, and the recoil spring too stiff. I think right now, her focus should be on getting comfortable shooting and hitting what she's aiming at. Clearing jams on a semi are going to be too much for her right now.

Encore460Mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Huntingburg
    My mom had the same problem last year when she wanted to purchase a firearm to carry,started with the lcp couldnt pull the slide back,got a taurus 32 mag revolver too much recoil,finally ended up with a sig mosquito,worked well for her she can pull the slide back fine and low recoil..

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If she goes with a revolver, I'd recommend a hammerless for safety reasons.

Have you considered a shrouded hammer gun like the S&W 638? The hammer can still be cocked by thumb, but not left exposed to snag on anything.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Ruger LCR .38

After researching and trying out handguns, I recently bought my first two firearms, a Ruger LCR .38 and Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8. I have small hands, weak wrists, which was a big concern. I have no trouble with the 'ridged' slides on the XDM and the mag release is amberdexerious.

You ask about the trigger on the Ruger. It's very Easy to pull, and smooth. The recoil is manageable for me. It doesn't hurt my hands as some smaller guns. It comes as a 357 too but I had no desire to shoot with such a beast. I know .38 rounds can be fired in a 357 handgun, but couldn't justify spending extra for something I would never use(.357 rounds).
    Some reviews said the Ruger LCR is ugly but I thought it cute.:rolleyes:
    Most important, that little revolver is accurate as heck. As a beginner shooter I have much to learn, but it makes me a decent shooter(see photo of my first time out on range with it). And the LCR is such a fun gun to shoot and practical to grab and carry when or where I go. Being hammerless makes it easy to slip into a pocket. I would definitely say to consider it.
    Nice of you to be concerned for your MIL.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Ruger LCR hands down. And get the heck out of Gander Mountain! Plenty of pre-owned ones available for much less and, if you must have new, check out an indepentently owned gun shop.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    While inexperienced does not necessarily mean timid around (or afraid of) firearms, or pistols in particular, it can be part of a newbie's mindset.

Perhaps a wheel gun would work better for her in the beginning.

Top Bottom