• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm trying to figure out if there is the broader phenomenon of a retailer experimenting with stupid high motor oil prices, or if there really is an overall market spike in motor oils.

I buy motor oil somewhat regularly, both "synthetic" (don't get me started on what is really a "synthetic") and the regular petroleum-based stuff.

For awhile, I've paid between $2/qt for conventional to $6/qt or so for Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum or some other mass market "synthetic."

By the gallon, I was paying $21/gal for Rotella T6 (a great oil, btw) or $25/gal for Mobil 1, with petreum Rotella T3 about $13/gal.

~~~

I went to the Autozone near me recently and about died when I saw their oil prices. $9.91 for synthetics by the quart? $50 for the five-quart jugs?

They now have the *petroleum* oils about the prices the synthetics used to be-- $5+ per quart. For the "cheap" stuff.

I had to do a double-take to make sure I was in the auto parts store and not a movie theater or sports arena.

OK, so I get to Wal-Mart (begruding the extra trip) and even mightly WMT is in on the gag, with the synthetics $7.74 or something like that. Holy crap. What gives? Petro oils over $3/qt at WAL MART?

Potential causes?

1) EPA shenanigans forcing us now to pay for all used oil expenses with every quart of new
    2) EPA shenanigans forcing producers to spend a lot more money to make the oil
    3) Fed pumping finally producing inflation, but only for one particular product?

I'm thinking we're finally seeing an effect of some Obama-powered EPA.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In case it missed your notice the price of oil has been going up.That means that prices have been going up for oil as well as gasoline. It's just the market.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    9.91 is cheap!
    I'm use to paying around 15 a quart x8 for my car.
    IMG_20140224_053220_zpsfddyktjc.jpg

Seriously though, prices seem to be going up and up. Seems like it would be cheaper to take my lawn mower to Jiffy lube (or anyplace that can do an oil change for 19.99) then to do it myself.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Autozone has Valvoline (not synthetic) 5 qt. jugs plus a filter for $22.99 right now... :dunno: But yes, oil prices have gone up in the past few years. Used to be able to get it for 0.99 - 1.39 a quart.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Oil has been going up.for the last 10 years, when I started in the business (parts) you could buy conventional for $0.99/ qt. Now its $3.99/ qt. For whatever reason,it takes oil a while to catch up with increasing prices, but when it does, its by leaps and bounds. FWIW.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Autozone has been high on oil for awhile it seems. I run motorcraft synthetic blend in my F150 and in my wife's Honda. I've had a few UOA's done and it preforms very well with 5k mile oil changes in the Honda and 4k mile in the F150. I could go for longer oil change intervals but I don't feel like pushing it. It's currently at $18 for a 5 quart jug at walmart, used to be $12.50 not too long ago.

Although in my firebird I ran Amsoil but the price got too high so I switched to Pennzoil platinum to save a little money since I really didn't need a full blown true synthetic. I only drive the car 250 miles a year and any synthetic is over kill.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yup, its got to be the EPA when oil prices change. It couldn't be market forces, rising cost of oil, fear based pricing as the Middle East continues to destabilize, the low elasticity of pricing for oil products, etc.

Anyway, if you want to continue to pay $21 for Rotella or under $6 for Mobil 1, get it from Jeff Bezos. He'll even deliver it to your home.

Amazon.com: Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil (CJ-4) - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Amazon.com: Mobil 1 (112798) 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart: Automotive

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    With everything using roller lifters these days you have to mix additional stuff in your oil if you are running the older flat tappets.:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I haven't followed the latest increase in prices but since they started climbing, I went from the regular 3000 mile interval to waiting until the truck's computer tells me it's time to change.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm ok with market forces, but I've not been out of the market. I buy oil every 6 months or so. I'd like to think I'd have noticed a major uptick of pricing in work.

Crude is now about $105. When crude was north of $130, motor oil was nowhere near these prices.

i don't buy a "market forces" argument here. The shoe doesn't fit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I haven't followed the latest increase in prices but since they started climbing, I went from the regular 3000 mile interval to waiting until the truck's computer tells me it's time to change.

Almost no engine needs 3k mile changes. Best rule of thumb: 50 gallons of fuel burn for every qt of capacity. Thus, 5qts and 20mpg would give 6k changes.

Again, go by fuel burned, NOT miles.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Almost no engine needs 3k mile changes. Best rule of thumb: 50 gallons of fuel burn for every qt of capacity. Thus, 5qts and 20mpg would give 6k changes.

Again, go by fuel burned, NOT miles.
    Hmm...I'd never heard that rule of thumb before. Back in the day, the 3 months or 3000 miles was drilled into me as the proper way to maintain a car (right or wrong).

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Yeah I've noticed motor oil is creeping up in price. I've got a Jeep getting due for a change.

I've always been taught 3,000 miles religiously.:twocents:

Top Bottom