• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I'm turning to my fellow INGO'rs for some assistance since I can't seem to find anyone on the motorcycle forums.
    Last year I took on trade a 1983 KZ440 LTD Belt drive. I've been working on this all winter in hopes of finally getting to use her as a commuter bike. I've never attempted anything like this before, but with the help of a great manual, I've managed to fix everything myself. Well, everything except the carbs. Its running really rich (fouling plugs).
    I've never been taught how to work on motors, except the basics.
    So I'm looking for someone who knows how to work on motorcycle carbs to come over and teach me how to do this and fix it right. I want the knowledge as much as I want to fix the bike. I don't expect you to do any work, just to teach me and guide me on how to do this. I live on the southwest side, just off Thompson Rd about a mile west of Mann.
    I'll buy all the necessary parts/tools and I'll provide cold drinks and food. A nice garage to work in, smokers welcome and OC/CC welcome!

Thanks in advance.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am a mortorcycle tech by trade and if you couldnt tell by my handle I specialize in Kawasaki.

I can get all the parts you will need, if they are still available from factory that is.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also fouling plugs can be caused by a number of things, it doesnt always mean its a fuel problem.

It could have weak spark caused by a faulty ignition component, or it could be burning oil bc of an internal leak, or the compression could be low resulting in an incomplete burn, you could even have the incorrect spark plugs for the bike.

On the carb side, The fuel/air mixture could be way off, the carbs could be way out of sync, the air filter could be really dirty, jets could be partially glogged,(although that would more than likley cause a lean condition), it could have the incorrect jets installed, the choke circuit could be stuck open.

How is it running? Will it rev out, or does it fall on its face right off idle? Does it idle?

Last edited:

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I'm not exactly what to tell you on my knowledge base. So far, I've straightened out all the wiring issues, installed new exhausts(originals, it had aftermarkets on it), I've replaced the turn signal relay, rebuilt the front brake caliper, installed new master cylinder, repainted and cleared the tank and side covers, changed the oil, and installed new tach cable. As far as working on the actual engines, very little. I can change oil, air filters, just the basics. But I'm very mechanically inclined and a very willing student.
    I have downloaded and printed off the entire 300 page shop manual. I have read everything I can but books can't teach experience.
    I "think" it just needs the original jets put back in. It accelerates and idles great, but when keeping it at a constant rpm the motor bogs down.

Hope that answered your question.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I was going to order a 'carb kit' off of ebay to try and fix it. When I got the bike the cone/baffle end of the pipe had been cut off and a slip-on straight pipe was on. Also pod filters were on in place of the original air box. I bought and installed the original pipes to get the "back compression" in hopes to help the carb issue and the noise. I think they rejetted the bike because of the exhaust and new filters but I now can't get ahold of last owner to find out.
    I adjusted the idle screw so its at appx. 1200 rpm per the manual.
    Also, what does it mean to rev out? you mean go to max rpm? I have not revved it past 7k rpm.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was going to order a 'carb kit' off of ebay to try and fix it. When I got the bike the cone/baffle end of the pipe had been cut off and a slip-on straight pipe was on. Also pod filters were on in place of the original air box. I bought and installed the original pipes to get the "back compression" in hopes to help the carb issue and the noise. I think they rejetted the bike because of the exhaust and new filters but I now can't get ahold of last owner to find out.
    I adjusted the idle screw so its at appx. 1200 rpm per the manual.
    Also, what does it mean to rev out? you mean go to max rpm? I have not revved it past 7k rpm.

Yes rev out means that if you have the bike in neutral and twist the throttle it should rev out to almost redline without bogging or backfiring.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If they changed the pipes and air filters then they shouldve jetted the carbs too. Unfortunately from my experiance if all they did was cut out the baffels and slap on some pods then they really didnt know what they were doing and probably screwed it up.

If it boggs down while at a fixed RPM what RPM? Around 3-5k Is the mid-range circuit and that is controlled by the Needle jet/Jet needle. Are you riding the bike when it does this or is it doing it just by reving it sitting still?

I would start by getting a carb kit, putting it back to STOCK then you have a known starting point. Also find the fuel/air mixture screws and turn all of them all the way in and then back them all out 2- 2 1/2 turns. That is usually about right for our altitude but some tweaking will be needed. Adjust the idle as needed.

Then get a new set of plugs, clean or replace the air filter, and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Do a compression test. Youll need a compresson gauge. Compression should be 150PSI or whatever is specified in your manual. Low compression can cause an incomplete burn.

Then check for gas in the oil. If gas is in the oil then the gas is thinning the oil and allowing it to seep past the rings and burn in the cylinder causing a rich condition. if that is the case Your float valves need to be replaced or the petcock rebuilt or both and the oil changed.

Make sure the carbs are in sync (all butterflys moving together) you can do it by eye but to do it right you need sync gauges.

Then check the choke circuit, it could be stuck or clogged. Clean it out and lube the choke cable.

Also as I said it could be a spark condition, especially if it has points. Test all ignition components to be sure.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also if your serious about buying all the tools needed then you should know My compression gauge set is made by Snapon and cost over $200. My Sync gauges are K&L branded and cost over $300.00. You should also know that is not all the tools you will need. You can plan on spending ATLEAST 1,000 to 2,000 dollars on specific tools for your bike If you want to work on it right.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Yes I want to LEARN how to fix my bike, not become a professional mechanic. I'm not about to spend $3,000 on a bike that I have $700 in. Nor do I think it will cost $3,000 to put some new jets in and get the bike to where I can ride it.
    Thank you for your time and information all your help is much appreciated.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes I want to LEARN how to fix my bike, not become a professional mechanic. I'm not about to spend $3,000 on a bike that I have $700 in. Nor do I think it will cost $3,000 to put some new jets in and get the bike to where I can ride it.
    Thank you for your time and information all your help is much appreciated.

No it wont cost you 3k to fix your bike. You can do it without the tools I mentioned but Im just saying that it will not be totally right.

The compression tester and sync gauges are a must if you want it to be right. You can find them online for less, you dont need the best stuff out there like I do, so save yourself some cash and shop Harbor Frieght.

You did say you would be willing to buy all the tools you would need, I was just letting you know that it is an expensive hobby. The older the bike the more expensive and labor intensive it tends to be also. I have a 1978 KZ1000 that I have to work on every weekend if I want to ride it. I have to adjust the points and that takes a dwell meter and a small screw driver also a set of small files and fine sand paper. Over $100 in tools right there.

I have over 5k in tools easy, I didnt get there over night either. Im just saying if you are serious about wanting to maintain your own bike you will end up spending more than you ever thought on tools.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I agree completely. I've already spent more than I ever imagined. I'm just wanting to learn at this point. There is nothing like experience.
    Your information and help is a great starting point of where to start looking. Thank you.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Hope you get it figured out man. It baffles me that motorcycles don't get better mpg. Compared pound for pound to todays cars they get horrible gas mileage. Why is that?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hope you get it figured out man. It baffles me that motorcycles don't get better mpg. Compared pound for pound to todays cars they get horrible gas mileage. Why is that?

The Kawasaki Ninja 250 gets 75mph.

I had a customer onetime complain that he wasnt getting good gas milage out of his bike and that by his calulations he was only getting around 34mph.

I belived him bc I looked over his notes and his math checked out.

So I drained the tank, the carbs and ran the bike until it died and was totally out of gas.

I filled up my 1gal fuel can and poured it into the tank and went for a ride with my Garmin GPS serving as a stand in odometer just incase the bikes was off.
    I reset the trip odometer before the ride also to check it.

73.65 miles later I pull back into my shop, shut the bike off and double check the customers math. Some how or another he was calculating miles per half gallon.

74 miles on ONE gallon of gas! Show me a car that can do that.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The Kawasaki Ninja 250 gets 75mph.

I had a customer onetime complain that he wasnt getting good gas milage out of his bike and that by his calulations he was only getting around 34mph.

I belived him bc I looked over his notes and his math checked out.

So I drained the tank, the carbs and ran the bike until it died and was totally out of gas.

I filled up my 1gal fuel can and poured it into the tank and went for a ride with my Garmin GPS serving as a stand in odometer just incase the bikes was off.
    I reset the trip odometer before the ride also to check it.

73.65 miles later I pull back into my shop, shut the bike off and double check the customers math. Some how or another he was calculating miles per half gallon.

74 miles on ONE gallon of gas! Show me a car that can do that.

Yeah I was looking at ninjas because of the power output compared to gas mileage is the best Ive been able to find. Only thing I don't like is sitting on a crotch rocket doesnt seem like it would be as comfortable since Ive traditionally been on cruisers.

Top Bottom