• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Decided that I wanted 1 bike for the road (at a later date), and one bike for the trail (immediate). Picked up a Giant Fathom 1 29'er last night after riding it at BGI in Greenwood. I tested a ton of bikes from Scott, Specialized, Trek, and a few others, and kept coming back to the Giant being my favorite. The frame felt good, and I really liked the simplicity of the 1X center gear. Front fork seems surprisingly nice, and it's pretty cool how the cables all run through the frame. Just put 10 miles on it tonight on varied surfaces (mostly dirt / rock, little bit of mud) and it performed terrific. Kind of afraid I've found a new hobby, but at least this one is good for me. Even considering a bike for my commute to work. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed getting around on 2 wheels.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Decided that I wanted 1 bike for the road (at a later date), and one bike for the trail (immediate). Picked up a Giant Fathom 1 29'er last night after riding it at BGI in Greenwood. I tested a ton of bikes from Scott, Specialized, Trek, and a few others, and kept coming back to the Giant being my favorite. The frame felt good, and I really liked the simplicity of the 1X center gear. Front fork seems surprisingly nice, and it's pretty cool how the cables all run through the frame. Just put 10 miles on it tonight on varied surfaces (mostly dirt / rock, little bit of mud) and it performed terrific. Kind of afraid I've found a new hobby, but at least this one is good for me. Even considering a bike for my commute to work. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed getting around on 2 wheels.

Nice!!!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The 1 series giant bikes are pretty well loaded. You should be fine with the 1x, I rarely need the small ring anymore. If you haven't, now you'll want to start looking at some nice crank brothers pedals and shoes to go with. :)

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you want Crank Bros pedals, hit me up. I'm more than willing to donate some egg beaters. I switched back to spd a long time ago. I just finished assembling my new bike this weekend! I'm fairly pumped to ride, it just needs to quit raining!

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Yeah, I definitely want to try out some egg beaters, PM heading your way Yeti Rider.

Currently wearing a set of Giant pedals that look pretty similar to the Shimano Saints (to my untrained eye). A little intimidated by a clip in, but I know that I would get used to them with practice.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I definitely want to try out some egg beaters, PM heading your way Yeti Rider.

Currently wearing a set of Giant pedals that look pretty similar to the Shimano Saints (to my untrained eye). A little intimidated by a clip in, but I know that I would get used to them with practice.
    It won't take long. At least with me I discovered that the crank brothers pedals release perfectly when I try to push my foot out to the side to stabilize after stopping. I have the mallet 3 as I wanted to be able to ride without the clips as well if I wasn't doing anything serious.

Top Bottom