• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Can this bike trail be outside a microbrewery in Indianapolis? And by "occupying" can this mean "go inside the microbrewery and drink beer until rhino concedes to my demands"?

This is acceptable. You can't fight tyranny while thirsty.

And I decided on the Marlin 5. It's in my garage and will be going out tomorrow if I can find my gloves, hat, and big girl panties to brave the January air.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You guys are mean.

I wouldn't drink beer anyway, I'm more of an angry orchard hard cider kinda gal

If you are going to drink hard cider then manup and get yourself some Blake's El Chavo with habanero and mango. My wife (a gal) really likes it. Has a great flavor and a couple of unique taste as it goes across your palate.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This is acceptable. You can't fight tyranny while thirsty.

And I decided on the Marlin 5. It's in my garage and will be going out tomorrow if I can find my gloves, hat, and big girl panties to brave the January air.

Congrats on the bike, hope you enjoy it. Here are some cold weather riding tips. Follow the link and scroll down for a clothing chart based on different temperatures.

Show 'n Go info

The key to winter weather is to dress in layers and absolutely NO COTTON. The shops in town have plenty of cold weather gear and as it gets colder each weekend you can buy one more layer. Ask other riders about what works well and other hints on staying warm. We usually shed a layer at the half way point. It is also good to have a warm hat and extra layer tucked in a pocket in case someone has a flat. If you are cold the first five minutes you are probably dressed just right.On the right is a suggested clothing chart you can use as a guide.

For a ride in the mid to low thirties I would wear the following: ID, helmet, balaclava, wicking undershirt, long sleeve undershirt, winter jacket, winter gloves, knickers with tights over them, ski liner socks, wool socks, booties. You can remove the insoles from your shoes to allow a little extra room for a second layer of socks or a chemical heater pack. Hint, if you are using a chemical heater open it up as you start getting ready so it can activate before you put it inside your shoe that is oxygen deprived.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I saw the Specialized Hard rock mentioned in this thread. I personally think that the Rockhopper is well worth the extra money. Much better components. It is an excellent bike that many beginning racers start out riding.
    Now all my bikes other than the tandem are Salsa. They are excellent bikes but most would be out of the price range you are looking at.
    Near the finish of the Bear 100, 100 mile gravel road race in northern WI on the Salsa Fargo
    10305506_10152608534029523_9066357609028219435_n.jpg
    60 miles into a 4 day 300 mile bikepacking trip. 60% gravel roads
    fargotrip.jpg
    Salsa Mukluk on the trails last week.
    mukluk.jpg

Top Bottom