• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Setting aside all of the conspiracy theories, the main reason the DNR denies so many of the "mountain lion" sightings is that they simply weren't mountain lions. The DNR probably gets dozens of reports of mountain lions that turn out to be nothing more than bobcats or housecats for every legitimate mountain lion sighting. It doesn't take many mistaken reports or less than credible witnesses before the default position becomes skepticism and once that happens it takes really strong evidence to overcome it. I've heard enough stories from enough random people to have a pretty healthy skepticism myself and I've heard only a tiny fraction of the reports that I'm sure the DNR gets.

Now, I suspect there are other reasons that the DNR often downplays the handful of real sightings while also listing them as a protected species. I think that the way the Feds have tied the hands of the Western and Upper Great Lakes States to manage wolf populations because of their questionable listing as an Endangered Species combined with the push by some to consider eastern cougar populations as a separate and of course endangered population, likely plays a role in this reticence of the DNR to promote real mountain lion sightings. Neither the DNR, nor any outdoorsman, should want any part of the Feds hijacking the wildlife management of the state in order to protect "endangered" mountain lions. As long as the DNR can keep playing the infrequent legitimate sightings off as escaped pets and prevent a bunch of cats from being shot and ending up in the news, they can avoid Federal involvement.

I can kind of see your point about not wanting to encourage people to go out and start shooting them (if they exist) I guess. I really can't see how a bobcat (short stubby tail) could be mistaken for a cougar (long tail), and I really don't understand how a housecat (a really HUGE housecat would be 20 lbs.) could be mistaken for a 100 lb. cougar unless there had been a LOT of alcohol or possibly some hallucinogenic drugs involved, although I don't doubt these two scenarios do happen.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When you consider that the number of fatalities on children-18 and under ,in the last 100 years is 10,and that 99.9% of the U.S. mountain lion population is west of the Mississippi river,I don't think lion attacks are going to have a significant impact on human population in Indiana...
    Playing the odds is great, until YOU are the .0001% of the population attacked.:dunno:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I can kind of see your point about not wanting to encourage people to go out and start shooting them (if they exist) I guess. I really can't see how a bobcat (short stubby tail) could be mistaken for a cougar (long tail), and I really don't understand how a housecat (a really HUGE housecat would be 20 lbs.) could be mistaken for a 100 lb. cougar unless there had been a LOT of alcohol or possibly some hallucinogenic drugs involved, although I don't doubt these two scenarios do happen.

I don't doubt for a second they exist in Indiana though not nearly in the numbers reports would indicate since even where they are plentiful they are rarely seen. You'd be surprised how many people have never seen a bobcat or have no idea what one looks like. Often people don't even see the animal clearly, they see a largish cat and assume it is mountain lion. As for house cats, seen at a distance with no reference for scale they can fool a lot of people. See the Noblesville photos and video for an example.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Money still says a hopped up meth head

Or someone's pet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone kept a mountain lion as a pet and it either got too big and they let it go, or it got out of its cage

NOT a hoped up on meth head .
    He hunts , fishes and is a self employed FAMILY Man . Probably had more time in the Woods by age 12 than most 50 year olds .Forgot the Father involved in this cuts timber for a living also . So he just might know a tad bit about things in the woods

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't doubt for a second they exist in Indiana though not nearly in the numbers reports would indicate since even where they are plentiful they are rarely seen. You'd be surprised how many people have never seen a bobcat or have no idea what one looks like. Often people don't even see the animal clearly, they see a largish cat and assume it is mountain lion. As for house cats, seen at a distance with no reference for scale they can fool a lot of people. See the Noblesville photos and video for an example.

Re the Noblesville pics and video, I've never seen a cougar with its belly fur touching the ground. Apparently the person taking the video isn't familiar with domestic cats either.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Re the Noblesville pics and video, I've never seen a cougar with its belly fur touching the ground. Apparently the person taking the video isn't familiar with domestic cats either.

Yes, that is the very first thing I noticed too, wild predators are very rarely that well fed. At first glance though, without knowing much about cougars, I can see how it would easily fool people.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They're here. The DNR denies it because of money. Eastern Mountain Lions are protected/endangered. If the DNR were to confirm they are here.....that means they have to spend a lot of money on conservation. Pretty simple explanation for the DNR's denial.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    They're here. The DNR denies it because of money. Eastern Mountain Lions are protected/endangered. If the DNR were to confirm they are here.....that means they have to spend a lot of money on conservation. Pretty simple explanation for the DNR's denial.

not trying to start a argument and everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but what makes you think they are here? one confirmed video a few years ago does not provide proof they are here, that could have been a escaped or released pet. i think if they were here then surely somebody would have a clear picture or video. heck a black bear came through southern indiana everybody had a picture or video of it

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Can't figure out why is so hard for some people to believe. Lots of deer, (food) lots of trees. There are more cougars in the state than we've heard about, I'm sure. People see bears more often because bears are like pigs and will eat about anything, including garbage. Draws them to populated areas. Big cat is much more selective.

DAMN You , auto correct. 3 edits later.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    not trying to start a argument and everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but what makes you think they are here? one confirmed video a few years ago does not provide proof they are here, that could have been a escaped or released pet. i think if they were here then surely somebody would have a clear picture or video. heck a black bear came through southern indiana everybody had a picture or video of it

My wife who grew up out west saw one...I found the tracks and posted them...In an empty field, not brush or woods.....The fact that I don't think my wife is a liar and the tracks I photographed and posted on here is what makes me think they are here....

So what makes you think wild animals obey state lines???

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most dangerous animals to human beings in the woods around here are ticks. When out in the woods I wear Permethrin and a gun.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    My wife who grew up out west saw one...I found the tracks and posted them...In an empty field, not brush or woods.....The fact that I don't think my wife is a liar and the tracks I photographed and posted on here is what makes me think they are here....

So what makes you think wild animals obey state lines???

Grizzley bears are wild animals im sure they dont obey state lines why are they not around here? Because this area is not in their natural habitat, same as mountain lions. I hear alot that people say big cats are rarely seen, so they dodge trail cameras too? Sorry until i see valid proof they are around i just cannot believe they are here. Sorry if you dont agree with me we cant all agree on everything.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Grizzley bears are wild animals im sure they dont obey state lines why are they not around here? Because this area is not in their natural habitat, same as mountain lions. I hear alot that people say big cats are rarely seen, so they dodge trail cameras too? Sorry until i see valid proof they are around i just cannot belueve they are here.

Must just be some big ass house cats then

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That would be a good defense when the DNR jumps your crap if you have to shoot one.

"Sorry officer, I thought it was a 100lb house cat..."

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Grizzley bears are wild animals im sure they dont obey state lines why are they not around here? Because this area is not in their natural habitat, same as mountain lions. I hear alot that people say big cats are rarely seen, so they dodge trail cameras too? Sorry until i see valid proof they are around i just cannot believe they are here. Sorry if you dont agree with me we cant all agree on everything.

Indiana was never part of the historic grizzly bear range, but WAS part of the mountain lion range. There are photos AND confirmed sightins in Indiana, but if you choose not to believe, that IS your choice. MOST people who live in areas with large mountain lion populations NEVER SEE ONE, so living in a state with only a minimal population will not produce many sightings.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Down here in the southern hills and woods we have Bobcats they are rare to witness or encounter. Since I was 8 years old in 1979 I have personally witnessed four in Perry County. Cats are shy and do not typically do not want to encounter humans when in remote areas with low populations and plenty of food. While I was stationed in Louisiana and Oklahoma Bobcats were witnessed often I assume because of the the larger populations.

The “hill people” in this area are still in tune with the woods they have told me of some tracks found in a creek bed around Tobinsport, I believe Indy’s report, I am a avid squirrel hunter to the tune of several times a week and cover a few miles each trip. The areas I hunt are some of the most remote in the state. I go much deeper in the woods than a deer hunter if you killed a deer in the areas I go you would have to quarter it and pack it out.

That being said I will set out some cameras out this fall like I did last year with good luck we might get a picture?

Top Bottom