• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    The DNR has already confirmed a sighting, back in 2010 here in Greene County.
    http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/53876.htm

They even released pics....
    codnrlion1.jpg

codnrlion2.jpg

"The chance of encountering a mountain lion today in Indiana is almost non-existent"
    "
    "One thing to point out is mountain lions are not stalkers," said Gary Langell, the DNR's private lands program manager and developer of the mountain lion policy. "They don't stalk prey. They tend to pick an active game trail, like a deer trail, and wait for a deer to come by. That's typically why you don't see livestock kills from mountain lions. They lay in wait rather than stalk."
    "
    Without additional evidence, Langell said it's impossible to say if the mountain lion photographed in Greene County is wild or is a formerly captive cat."
    "
    The DNR occasionally receives reports of mountain lion sightings around the state, but typically the evidence has turned out to be something other than a mountain lion, has been inconclusive, or has proved to be part of an Internet hoax.

Since the policy's inception March 1, 19 mountain lion sightings have been reported. The report in Greene County is the only one confirmed to be a mountain lion.

Langell said two reports were confirmed by biologists as animals other than a mountain lion. Sixteen were designated as "unconfirmed" either because of no physical evidence or because photographs provided were of insufficient quality to identify characteristics of any animal type."

SO I GUESS THEY DON"T STALK AFTER ALL

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE I HEARD FROM A NEIGHBORS UNCLES CATS< FRIENDS CUSION

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I do know thay some folks around Indiana own "exoitc" animals including "mountain lions" and they do escape once in a while
    This doesn't not mean we have wild mountain lions running all over the state or we would have more that 19 sighting

oh wait a neighbors brothers barber's dogs cusion said so , it must be true

Gotta love the internet

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    "The chance of encountering a mountain lion today in Indiana is almost non-existent"
    "
    "One thing to point out is mountain lions are not stalkers," said Gary Langell, the DNR's private lands program manager and developer of the mountain lion policy. "They don't stalk prey. They tend to pick an active game trail, like a deer trail, and wait for a deer to come by. That's typically why you don't see livestock kills from mountain lions. They lay in wait rather than stalk."
    "
    Without additional evidence, Langell said it's impossible to say if the mountain lion photographed in Greene County is wild or is a formerly captive cat."
    "
    The DNR occasionally receives reports of mountain lion sightings around the state, but typically the evidence has turned out to be something other than a mountain lion, has been inconclusive, or has proved to be part of an Internet hoax.

Since the policy's inception March 1, 19 mountain lion sightings have been reported. The report in Greene County is the only one confirmed to be a mountain lion.

Langell said two reports were confirmed by biologists as animals other than a mountain lion. Sixteen were designated as "unconfirmed" either because of no physical evidence or because photographs provided were of insufficient quality to identify characteristics of any animal type."

SO I GUESS THEY DON"T STALK AFTER ALL

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE I HEARD FROM A NEIGHBORS UNCLES CATS< FRIENDS CUSION

deleted

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The chance of encountering a Mountain Lion in the wild are quite slim...but more and more people are reporting sightings, including 2-3 people in Darlington the other day.

I also know of a LEO in Mont Co. That has photos of some tracks related to an earlier sighting.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I lived in CA for many years, never got to see a mountain lion. The heavily populated Bay Area doesn't have many, but when one is spotted, a report is released for the public. They are generally spotted along the Water Channel that runs through Alameda County. Not something anyone has to worry about really, here or out there. I'm more worried about ticks in the woods than a cat.

Just for those that are curious, here are the regulations and link to get a permit for wild animals, including Mountain Lions which are Class III Dangerous Wild Animals. Class III animals also require neighbor notification. The fee is $10.00 per year as well.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-WildAnimalPossessionPermitFlowChart.pdf

C) Once the application has been received for the first permit for that animal, the commercial license clerk will send out letters to neighboring landowners giving them 30 days to submit any concerns. If a petition is received bearing the signatures of at least 25 people that object to the possession of this wild animal, a public hearing may be conducted to receive comments and a decision will be made by the DNR on the issuance of the permit; otherwise, the permit will be issued.

sasquatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Madison
    Around the south east corner, we have black panthers. They were indigenous to the area up thru the late 1700's but are considered extinct from the area now. I know of several people who've seen them. I myself caught one on my camera by accident a few years ago. It was 50+ yards away and watching me. It was a bit blurry so I went back to the location to see if maybe I was imagining the shape. I wasn't. I'll try and dig up the photo. I have it stashed on a hard drive somewhere...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    will have to get my neighbor to send me pic's of one from a 1/4mile from me....was takin' in the fall.......there around...

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I dunno...seems pretty far north into the state for a cougar..

Anything is possible though

bthacker24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I remember when i first heard them calling when i was in north carolina. Sounded just like a woman screaming and totally freaked me out

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I remember when i first heard them calling when i was in north carolina. Sounded just like a woman screaming and totally freaked me out

I relayed that information to some of my Mont. Co. family last weekend.

I've never heard it myself, but I've heard (mainly TV) and read several reports about what it sounds like.

-J-

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    If even half the mountian lion sightings were true they'd be as common as coyotes and deer here in Indiana. :lol:
    It's also funny that most every story of sightings in this thread are from second and third parties (or more).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    They are more common than reported, they don't hunt or want to eat people, if you are gutting your deer you would hear a scream. Then you could decide what was more important to you...your deer or your life. Folks from common lion areas would laugh if they read some of our posts.

This... There are so many deer around here, they don't need to hunt humans.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I saw a mountain lion on 10th St. just east of Post rd. It stuck its head out the back window of the van it was riding in. Seemed like an extreme choice for a pet but who am I to pass judgment..

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Around the south east corner, we have black panthers. They were indigenous to the area up thru the late 1700's but are considered extinct from the area now. I know of several people who've seen them. I myself caught one on my camera by accident a few years ago. It was 50+ yards away and watching me. It was a bit blurry so I went back to the location to see if maybe I was imagining the shape. I wasn't. I'll try and dig up the photo. I have it stashed on a hard drive somewhere...

My dad, an avid deer hunter, saw a very large black cat many years ago in either Spencer or Brown County (don't recall, but those are the only places he hunts I believe).

Top Bottom