• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I just got my first SKS and want to mount a scope to it. I have researched this and there are several different mounts available in the interwebs. The one that looked easiest replaced the upper hand guard and gas cylinder.

What works for you? This is just a plinking rifle, but my 50 year old eyes don't see out to 100 yards like they used to.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not tried to scope any of my SKSs yet, but did put a set of TechSights on one of them. Like you, my eyes are not what they used to be and the apeture sights helped a lot. Congrats on the SKS though. They are nice rifles that are great shooters once you get past the crappy Russian style sights.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    they make a part to replace the upper rear of the reciever. they dont work well at all.

the only way ive found to mount a scope to a sks that you dont have to worry about is to drill and tap the side of the reciever and use that style mount

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    you can always mount a long eye relief scope there is a mount that replaces the rear sight leaf ( this way you dont have to worry about brass hitting your scope or losing zero )

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you want better sighting get the Tech Sights best upgrade I ever did to my SKS. Those reciver mounts suck, the scope get beat to heck and they can loose zero to easy. JMO but i wouldnt use one.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    they make a part to replace the upper rear of the reciever. they dont work well at all.

the only way ive found to mount a scope to a sks that you dont have to worry about is to drill and tap the side of the reciever and use that style mount

Thank you both, I too just got an SKS. I saw a picture of one of the rear receiver cover scope mounts the other day and was wondering if they worked or not. I now know to stay away from them. The side mount looks like the way to go.

Tech Sights all the way!

Great now I need to buy those for it as well. Thanks.

Linky: Tech Sights SKS (these are the ones you are talking about, right?)

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    The receiver cover mounts don't work very well. If you really want optics, I would cut away a small portion of the stock and have the receiver drilled and tapped for a side mount. That will hold zero for ya. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you have the skills. If not a gunsmith or your local machine shop can drill and tap a couple holes pretty cheap.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana

Didn't know my buddy had covered this, but he is absolutely correct.

Top Bottom