• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a Beretta 21A and it is not only a blast to shoot it is pretty accurate. But for self defense my almost constant companion is a Kahr PM9 which is only a tiny bit bigger than the 21A, and although it carries one round less than the .22LR 21A I would rather have seven rounds of 9mm+P than eight rounds of .22LR.

yogiboobooranger

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    May 16, 2008
    La Porte
    I have a Beretta Bobcat that my wife likes to carry. She wanted a gun that you do not have to rack the slide on, easy to load, and easy to carry in pocket or purse. She has her life time carry permit, and carries other guns as well, but loves her little .22. I keep her in CCI stingers for ammo, and she can shoot your eye out without a blink of an eye. Believe me, with all eight rounds, she can and will put them center mass and a head shot or two without any qualms, and I believe who ever she shoots, will stop their aggression. I guess what I am saying is that a .22 is not a great carry round, but it will get the job done in most cases.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    On the days I dont have concealment (jacket) and the M&P 40 with HST's, I always carry a Kel tec- P-3AT (.380) with Crimson Trace. (the sights on the 3AT suck and in a stress situation worthless. The CT aids greatly in the point shooting) Although I hate that the slide does not lock open it is very flat and with a pocket holster is nothing more than an "extra wallet" ..(that fights back...)

There are other similar types so look around in this caliber...(but DONT consider the S&W Bodyguard... I have heard a lot of negatives, and my friend next door was at the range and it literally fell apart in pieces, right there on the range.)

I also have a five shot North American "microgun" (cant even call it a mousegun) and I have never carried it. Guess my rationale is that if I am going to carry anything, a .32 or a .380 is a minimum caliber, and with hollow points (for example Hornady or similar) and 6+1 rounds it
    I frankly dont see the point of carrying a 22 LR

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I too was looking at small 22's a few months back.
    I found:
    The Taurus is junk. I tried 2 or 3 of them in different stores and there was always some dumb quality control issue. One I tried took both thumbs to get the safety on or off. I was not impressed.
    The Beretta is a good gun but quite a bit more expensive than the others. I did not want to spend a lot of cash.

I finally purchased a used HP22a for $105 and I love it.
    No malfunctions and it is surprisingly accurate for the size.
    They are cheap guns but somehow, just seem to work and work well.

If you have the $300 some odd dollars, look at the Walther P22.
    They are not as small as a Beretta but still smaller than a Ruger markII.
    With the polymer frame, they are much lighter than a Ruger.
    And the Walthers have a really a good reputation.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Back in the "bad old days" (think 70's-early 80's) there were no miracle .32's and .380's. I often carried a Beretta 950 .25 ACP or even (gasp!) the NAA mini-revolvers. If you wanted a .380, you had to move up to a Walther PPK. I still have the 21A, it sits in my car console, loaded with Stingers. It'll get the job done. FWIW, I now carry the P3AT on a regular basis.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    For starters, the Bersa Firestorm .22lr is the same size as their .380. So getting that one for "size" doesn't make sense. You could get a .380 in the same package.

There is very little that is small but range worthy. You touched on the .22lr's in that category. I would consider the Bersa Thunder .380 small and fun to shoot.
    The sense of the Bersa/ Firestorm .22 is being the same size and manual of arms as the .380.
    380 isn't the cheapest round to practice with. A .22 version makes for real cheap practice shooting.
    I have both for that reason. Plus my youngest son finds shooting the 22 easier and more fun then the 380.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Most of you are Over Looking the High Standard 22Mag Derringer it will Shot thru Most Body Armour,and the ammo that is available today will cover any situation,it is small and compact you can carry in Back pocket. It is the Most Reliable I have found in the last 40 Years.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The sense of the Bersa/ Firestorm .22 is being the same size and manual of arms as the .380.
    380 isn't the cheapest round to practice with. A .22 version makes for real cheap practice shooting.
    I have both for that reason. Plus my youngest son finds shooting the 22 easier and more fun then the 380.

That's lovely, and I agree to an extent, but that wasn't one of the questions asked by the OP.

In any case, the Bersa Thunder, 22 or 380, is NOT a "mousegun".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom