• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My brother showed me this movie a while ago, and I finally got around to buy it.
    Since I really haven't heard anyone talk about it, I thought I'd share.

Harry Brown (2009) - IMDb
    MV5BMTM5NjE2NzI2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY0ODUyMw@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

An elderly ex-serviceman and widower looks to avenge his best friend's murder by doling out his own form of justice.Director:

Daniel Barber
    Writer:

Gary Young (screenplay)
    Stars:

Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, David Bradley

[h=2]Storyline[/h]In England, retired Royal Marine Harry Brown spends his lonely life between the hospital, where his beloved wife Kath is terminally ill, and playing chess with his only friend Leonard Attwell in the Barge pub owned by Sid Rourke. After the death of Kath, Len tells his grieving friend that the local gang is harassing him and he is carrying an old bayonet for self-defense; the widower suggests him to go to the police. When Len is beaten, then stabbed to death in an underground passage, Inspector Alice Frampton and her partner Sergeant Terry Hicock are sent to investigate. They pay Harry a visit but don't have good news; the police have not found any other evidence, other than the bayonet, in order to arrest the hoodlums. This mean that should the case go to trial the gang would claim self-defense. Harry Brown sees that justice will not be granted and decides to take matters into his own hands. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

harry_brown01.jpg

Harry_Brown1.jpg

I know. You're thinking, old guy goes unrealistically ninja. Not really.
    The movie seems to take into account that he is old.
    The bad guys are stronger, and have quicker responses.
    But Harry has training, discipline, and the gangs assume is just another defenseless pensioner.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My favorite quote.
    "You failed to maintain your weapon, sir."
    [video=youtube;l9rmHPmnnKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rmHPmnnKw[/video]

"I don't reckon you've got long. Seen that before. Gut wound. The slug's probably torn right through your liver. Mate of mine in Ulster got caught in sniper fire. Bullet blew his inside out. He screamed for a good 10 minutes. We couldn't send a medic in, the section was too hot. So we all took cover... and watched him die. I've never told that... to anyone... you should've called an ambulance... for the girl..."

Probably shouldn't assume. You know what happens when you assume.
    Harry Brown 08 First Revenge - YouTube

This is how the movie opens.
    Harry Brown 02 Intro Second Gang Violence Scene - YouTube

The trailer
    [video=youtube;I2S3SraFmI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2S3SraFmI0[/video]

Another quote
    Frampton: It's not Northern Ireland Harry. Harry Brown: No it's not. Those people were fighting for something; for a cause. To them out there, this is just entertainment.

I guess I should say, this may not be suitable for young children.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I love this movie. Always been a fan of Michael Caine. I loved him and Robert Duvall in Second Hand Lions too.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I really enjoyed that movie! I need to watch it again.

It's definatley a two/three timer...I thought "Harry Brown" and "Gran Torino" were perfect "sunset" films for Clint and Caine to do and both men played the parts perfectly...As an American and Eastwood fan I was a little shocked that I liked "Harry Brown" a little better (a little), than Gran Torino...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Best lines

Harry Brown: [On shooting a drug dealer whose gun jammed when he tried to kill him] You failed to maintain your weapon, sir.
    Harry Brown: I don't reckon you've got long. Seen that before. Gut wound. The slug's probably torn right through your liver. Mate of mine in Ulster got caught in sniper fire. Bullet blew his inside out. He screamed for a good 10 minutes. We couldn't send a medic in, the section was too hot. So we all took cover... and watched him die. I've never told that... to anyone... you should've called an ambulance... for the girl...

Top Bottom