• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the quote direct from the man in charge, ghuns.
    I know the action gets all the attention in the movie, but to me, that monologue was the best part of a very good movie.
    Richard Dreyfuss famously had a very acrimonious time with Robert Shaw on the set (that wasn't just acting), but he says to this day that when Shaw made that speech, he was genuinely riveted the entire time.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...but he says to this day that when Shaw made that speech, he was genuinely riveted the entire time.

Yeah, the look on his face in that whole scene isn't acting, he's in awe.

When they first filmed the scene, Shaw convinced Spielberg that the three actors should drink a little before getting started to make the scene more realistic. Shaw, as he was prone to do, drank a lot. So much he had to be carried to the set. They gave up on the scene before lunch and let Shaw sleep it off. He woke up in the middle of the night and called Spielberg in a panic. He could remember nothing and was terrified that he might have done something to embarrass Spielberg. He begged him to let him try it again. Shaw showed up sober at 7AM the next morning and nailed it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just saw this DVD in the bargain bin at Meijer.
    So, I picked it up.
    Overall, I thought it was a good movie.
    A few problems maybe, but that happens evertime i watch a Navy and/or submarine movie, and this had both.

I think as the movie went on, I was able to immerse myself in the movie.
    By the end, well, just watch it yourself.

At the beginning of the credits are some survivors and some actual footage of the rescue.
    Then, it's just credits.
    Til when the credits start scrolling, then photos of the men.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [video=youtube;ExSDMWJhm_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSDMWJhm_Q[/video]

[video=youtube;TuoNvPPnr2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuoNvPPnr2o[/video]

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    We were one of the Sponsors for the USS Indianapolis Survivors Reunion in 2007. I'm Honored to have ridden in the Parade with them. Some of their stories were terrible, but told from an 18 year olds Heart. These men were truly members of The Greatest Generation. I only hope their Story is still being taught in schools.

Top Bottom