• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This is going to seem like a weird tie in but have you seen Kon Tiki? I ask because the guy who served with Max Manus as a Partisan (two actually) were part of the crew of the Kon Tiki expedition.....There is a moment on the raft where one of them shares a story about the activities that took place in Max Manus with the American member of the crew....A very good film...

I've been aware of the movie and it's caught my eye but I've bypassed it thus far with other priorities (so many movies; so little time). It first hit my radar when it was nominated for Best Foreign Picture by the Academy and the Golden Globe. This will get a second look and go onto the Wish List. You may see the same film with a 2012 release year as that's when it was first screened in Norway . . . this occurs with numerous foreign films as they don't hit the US theaters or Academy Award and Golden Globe considerations until a year later.

I'm very aware of Thor Heyerdahl's 1947 balsa raft expedition. My father was fascinated with the sciences including archeology and anthropology. One of his favorite books was Richard Leaky's Origins. He didn't live to see the sequel, Origins Reconsidered. He also had a very old copy of Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki (English translation) from the 1950's, and the Ra Expeditions from the early 1970's. I remember him talking about it. There was also a documentary done in 1950 that won the Academy's Best Documentary Award, and a second Ra Expeditions documentary in 1972 that was nominated for the Academy's Best Documentary (did not win).

As you're into Norwegian films? If you've not seen the original 1997 Norwegian Insomnia, it is excellent. Christopher Nolan's 2002 U.S. remake with Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank, unlike many U.S. remakes, is excellent as well (unlike most U.S. remakes; The Vanishing U.S. remake comes to mind immediately). Nolan is one of the best currently working directors in the UK and U.S. (dual citizenship).

As for Christopher Nolan, not on my list as it won't be out on home media until December is Nolan's 2017 movie, Dunkirk, which hit the IMAX theaters in the U.S. during the summer. I predict numerous Academy and Golden Globe nominations.

As an aside, for a movie to be considered for an Academy Award in any of the main competition, it must be screened to the public in a L.A. County theater for a week (seven days). There have been films screened in a L.A. County theater rented and open to the public (for paid admission) specifically for that purpose just before the end of a calendar year to slide it under the deadline wire. It cannot have been shown on TV (or cable/satellite TV channels) before that, a rule made to specifically preclude "made for TV" movies from being nominated for any Academy Award (the Emmy's and Golden Globe categories are for TV). The Foreign category need not be screened in the U.S. Documentary Features and Shorts have slightly different rules. The producers of O.J.: Made in America pulled an end-around by barely meeting the screening rules in L.A. County and NYC, and then broadcasting it in parts on TV. That has since been blocked off from ever happening again with new rules prohibiting multi-part and series documentaries from nomination. All the major studios game the Academy's rules to the max.

John

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As you're into Norwegian films? If you've not seen the original 1997 Norwegian Insomnia, it is excellent. Christopher Nolan's 2002 U.S. remake with Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank, unlike many U.S. remakes, is excellent as well (unlike most U.S. remakes; The Vanishing U.S. remake comes to mind immediately). Nolan is one of the best currently working directors in the UK and U.S. (dual citizenship).

I love Norwegian films....It's funny you mention insomnia...The wife and I watched Wind River last night and it had the same sort of stark feel as Insomnia and I pointed that out to my wife...You know like when the shooting location IS not just a character but THE character???? I like when a Director uses the landscape or location as a character...It's hard to do but I felt the same way about Troll Hunter and The Wave......

[video=youtube;QPIOV-tCaEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPIOV-tCaEU[/video]

[video=youtube;s7WuKdVhrmA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WuKdVhrmA[/video]

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Amelie is great (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain in French, I can see why they got a shorter title in English).

I haven't seen Paths of glory, I will check it out.I love Kubrick's war movies (or rather anti-war) like Dr.Strangelove.
    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here.This is the war room!" is one of my favorite lines of any movie. :):

Another great war movie to add to the list.Still very relevant with today's nuclear tensions.

It's in the third group . . . yeah, it's a long list . . . and still one of the best Cold War movies made. George C. Scott's portrayal of General Buck Turgidson is excellent, flying around the War Room bragging about how well Major Kong can fly a B-52. One of the studio's requirements to fund the film was Peter Sellers playing four roles, which he did not want to do. He ended up playing three: President Merkin Muffley (Google Merkin ;)), Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, and Dr. Strangelove. The fourth was to have been Major T.J. "King" Kong, the B-52 pilot. He sprained an ankle early in the shooting of that role and couldn't get into the cramped cockpit set. That role was replaced with Slim Pickens who played the southerner to perfection (Sellers had much trouble with the accent). President Kennedy was assassinated the day it was to be test screened. That was immediately canceled and the release delayed until January. One of Kong's lines regarding the survival kit was dubbed to change "Dallas" to "Vegas" when he discusses where someone could have fun with its contents. A very young and skinny James Earl Jones has a bit part as the B-52 bombardier, Lt. Lothar Zogg. You may not recognize the face, but the voice is unmistakable (only has a few lines). The line quoted is my favorite. Another is at the very end from General Turgidson (Scott): "Mr. President, we must not allow . . . a mine shaft gap!"

Anyone who has not seen Dr. Strangelove has led a deprived life.

John

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This is a movie about the deadliest female sniper in history: Lyudmila Pavlichenko. It is an excellent movie and highly recommended.

[video=youtube;VzCOFER-4hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCOFER-4hI[/video]

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Just ordered this based on the trailer and the synopses on IMDb and RT plus its rating 80%/82% (I look at both and read some; the critics aren't always on target). Yet another one that got under my radar until you mentioned it. Thanks! I've been around some Norwegians before. The spoken language had some strong similarities to German . . . that was my sense of it at the time and I'll see if that still holds . . . the written version was another matter as I wasn't familiar with their alphabet and its phonetics.

Still looking for something regarding the Winter War in Finland . . . that has English subtitles.

John
    [the pile of films to watch never dwindles]

John

This is excellent:

Talvisota (1989) - IMDb

I have it on DVD and would be happy to loan it to you. PM me.

Also, I recently saw "Land of Mine" about German POW's clearing land mines after the war and really enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Thanks . . . this is one I didn't know about and having seen nearly all of the mainstream, it's among the kind I've been looking for telling the other stories that rarely see the light of day now. Edward Zwick is the director who did a couple of other films (Glory and Courage Under Fire).

John

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks . . . this is one I didn't know about and having seen nearly all of the mainstream, it's among the kind I've been looking for telling the other stories that rarely see the light of day now. Edward Zwick is the director who did a couple of other films (Glory and Courage Under Fire).

John

It was free on Amazon movies for Amazon prime members awhile back.
    Usually everyone talks about the French resistance, little seems to be said about the Polish resistance.
    I thought it was pretty good.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've seen most of these at some point in my life. But for some unknown reason looking through the list this is the quote that came to mind:

"some things in here don't react well to bullets."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've seen most of these at some point in my life. But for some unknown reason looking through the list this is the quote that came to mind:

"some things in here don't react well to bullets."

Nukes, and bubbleheads.

Not to mention, can you imagine the noise? You're in a large closed pipe. Loud noise. Ricochet.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    It was free on Amazon movies for Amazon prime members awhile back.
    Usually everyone talks about the French resistance, little seems to be said about the Polish resistance.
    I thought it was pretty good.

Regarding the Polish, Katyn is a superb movie about what happened with the leadership of the Polish Army, along with selected government leaders, intelligentsia and professionals when Germany and the Soviet Union partitioned the country in 1939. Not much about the Czech or Yugoslav either, or much of the rest of the Balkans. IMHO their resistance stories got buried by the Soviets at the end of the war . . . some of them literally. Anthropoid is about the Czech assassination of Reinhard Heydrich by a pair of exiled Czech military commandos parachuted in to carry it out.

A couple of the French movies I listed are about French Resistance.

John

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's be clear brother...There are TWO "man's men" in that film....And yes Lee Marvin would agree.....:)

[video=youtube;j0c_1XKJUSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0c_1XKJUSQ[/video]

Dude was one of the greatest actors EVAR!!! He gets left out of the conversation because most of his movies were in Japanese.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Dude was one of the greatest actors EVAR!!! He gets left out of the conversation because most of his movies were in Japanese.
    :+1:

He was Akira Kurosawa's "Go To" leading actor for a very long time and is revered in Japan as one of their finest actors. The "arrow" scene in Throne of Blood was a magnificent performance, and they were shooting real arrows at him too (under very controlled conditions). The look on his face though was not 100% acting. That movie was Kurosawa's Samurai version of Shakespeare's Macbeth in a fairly faithful scene by scene rendition of the major plot line.

[video=youtube;3GvVzvoEx4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvVzvoEx4w[/video]

Kurosawa's film making could easily be it's own thread.

John

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

He was Akira Kurosawa's "Go To" leading actor for a very long time and is revered in Japan as one of their finest actors. The "arrow" scene in Throne of Blood was a magnificent performance, and they were shooting real arrows at him too (under very controlled conditions). The look on his face though was not 100% acting. That movie was Kurosawa's Samurai version of Shakespeare's Macbeth in a fairly faithful scene by scene rendition of the major plot line.

[video=youtube;3GvVzvoEx4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvVzvoEx4w[/video]

Kurosawa's film making could easily be it's own thread.

John

You seriously should be a movie critic. I thought I was well versed in cinema history, but I don't hold a candle to you. If I ever start a newspaper, I'll be hiring you to do the movie reviews.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    You seriously should be a movie critic. I thought I was well versed in cinema history, but I don't hold a candle to you. If I ever start a newspaper, I'll be hiring you to do the movie reviews.

Thanks, but I'm not as knowledgeable as you think . . . I've got a film library of over 2100 movies, with a sizable percentage foreign. About 100 more or so I've seen in theaters or on TV that aren't in the library. About 400 of those in my library are in the current queue for viewing. A handful of them are second go-arounds but nearly all of 400 I've never seen before. I like to know something about the movies I watch. There are usually connections between them and other films beyond the obvious actor and director credits. The guys like Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel, and earlier critics like Pauline Kael and Bosley Crowther, or the French critic, Francois Truffaut, were orders of magnitude more knowledgeable.

One in my library that I cannot believe I missed for the third group:

The Counterfeiters (2007)
    Director: Stefan Ruzowitzky
    Austria & Germany (German dialog with English subtitles)
    MPAA Rating: R
    Won the Academy's Best Foreign Language Feature Film Oscar (entered by Austria). It's the true story about Operation Bernhard which became the largest counterfeiting operation in history. It was set up by the Nazis in 1936 using concentration camp internees with specific skills. The objective was flooding the British Empire (and elsewhere) with counterfeit pound notes to disrupt their economy and global confidence in the Pound Sterling. The team of concentration camp prisoners is led by Salomon 'Sally' Sorowitsch. He was a master forger and counterfeiter arrested by the Germans while forging passports for people to use to escape Germany. He ends up being transferred from a prison into the growing concentration camp system, ending up at Sachsenahausen where he was recruited to head a counterfeiting effort to produce perfect British pound notes in various denominations. Their output is all but perfect. The obvious conflict is aiding the Nazi war effort with their counterfeited notes while working to remain alive to avoid being sent to the gas chambers. Very few in this film are without character flaws, obviously the Germans, but it also includes the concentration camp inmates involved in the counterfeiting.

John

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

He was Akira Kurosawa's "Go To" leading actor for a very long time and is revered in Japan as one of their finest actors. The "arrow" scene in Throne of Blood was a magnificent performance, and they were shooting real arrows at him too (under very controlled conditions). The look on his face though was not 100% acting. Kurosawa's film making could easily be it's own thread.

You may want to watch the documentary Keanu Reeves narrated.....I am afraid the conditions were not very well controlled...They had pulled a bunch of college students in to shoot the arrows and most of them had never shot before......Toshiro is lucky he didn't lose an eye lol...But you're right...It's really good scene and well acted...Toshiro is my favorite actor of all time...

He trained Kamikazi pilots in the war.....He hated it....

[video=youtube;k6iOrVSXWrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6iOrVSXWrA[/video]

Thanks for your film work here on INGO John...Kut's right...You could be a film critic...You have great tastes...

Here is another couple of good films.....

[video=youtube;u_ocnUbrVd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ocnUbrVd0[/video]

[video=youtube;dzInH4-Kk8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzInH4-Kk8U[/video]

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    You may want to watch the documentary Keanu Reeves narrated.....I am afraid the conditions were not very well controlled...They had pulled a bunch of college students in to shoot the arrows and most of them had never shot before......Toshiro is lucky he didn't lose an eye lol...But you're right...It's really good scene and well acted...Toshiro is my favorite actor of all time...

He trained Kamikazi pilots in the war.....He hated it....

Thanks for your film work here on INGO John...Kut's right...You could be a film critic...You have great tastes...

Thanks . . . but if you saw a database of my entire library you might not draw the same conclusion ;-) I should send you or post a list of similar Asian films as I've got a number of them!

John

Top Bottom