• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm scared to ask.

My safe weighs over 500lbs. Plus long guns and hand guns. How did you lift it? Fork truck?

I moved it empty. Take everything out, move it into truck/on trailer, refill it. When you get to the new place, unload it then move it. I guess if you're moving from a sketchy neighborhood, may not work for you, but I had multiple friends helping who could keep an eye on things.

As far as lifting it, it's right at 600 lb empty and I had two guys to help me. Appliance dolly to the trailer, straps around it, two guys lift from bottom, guy on top uses straps to lift and guide it in. Once it's tilted on the trailer and steady, everyone lifts up on the bottom and slides it in (old GI blanket under it to keep it from scratching).

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I emptied my safe, laid it on it's back, then took the shelves out. I then put a long gun in, wrapped it in a blanket, put the next gun in, wrapped it up in the blanket, and kept going like that. Handguns went in their original boxes on top of long guns. Ammo just went in ammo cans.
    Huh. I like this one. May have to head to Goodwill to pick up some cheap blankets that I don't mind smelling like cosmoline. haha

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Huh. I like this one. May have to head to Goodwill to pick up some cheap blankets that I don't mind smelling like cosmoline. haha

It worked well. Nothing got scratched or dinged. Take gun, give it 2-3 wraps of blanket, put next gun in same blanket, wrap it 2-3 times, etc. until no more blanket, repeat. I used GI wool blankets I happened to have laying around.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It worked well. Nothing got scratched or dinged. Take gun, give it 2-3 wraps of blanket, put next gun in same blanket, wrap it 2-3 times, etc. until no more blanket, repeat. I used GI wool blankets I happened to have laying around.

Depending on how many someone needs to wrap, Harbor Freight has some fairly inexpensive moving blankets that could be used for this purpose as well.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    When I moved down to Texas I just avoided Illinois. I think I took 65s to Nashville, jumped on 40 to Memphis, then took 55 all the way south to Louisiana. I jumped on 10 and took that to TX, but you shouldnt have to do that....Avoiding Illinois is a good idea, especially if you are transporting any of their banned rifles.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Last year I moved from southeast Louisiana back to Indiana after 5 years. I had a similar size collection to move. I bought gun socks for all my rifles (pistols have soft cases), and then put them in my trunk. I covered the rifles with a couple blankets and made the drive home.

Good luck on your move! Louisiana is a great place to live.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I'll never forget when I moved from Indianapolis to Noblesville 5 years ago I did a very EARLY morning run to move all the guns. I had 10 long guns in the back of my pickup truck and several handguns on the floor next to me and I got pulled over by Noblesville PD for going a bit too fast. I kept my hands on the wheel in a death grip and had my license/CCV already out and quickly explained I was moving my gun collection before he even said a thing. He took both of my documents back to his car and gave me a warning and welcomed me to Noblesville.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    When I moved down to Texas I just avoided Illinois. I think I took 65s to Nashville, jumped on 40 to Memphis, then took 55 all the way south to Louisiana. I jumped on 10 and took that to TX, but you shouldnt have to do that....Avoiding Illinois is a good idea, especially if you are transporting any of their banned rifles.
    This comment got me thinking. Going through Illinois is my most direct route, and I'm not going out of my way to avoid the state. It looks Illinois can pound sand anyway according to my research. Under the interstate transportation of firearms I'm protected by the federal government, as all my guns are legal in Indiana, and Louisiana. I'm not even sure I own any Illinois banned weapons anyway. Outside of that, my guns will meet their commie laws. My guns will be one place, so will my ammo, and they certainly won't be easily accessible. The only thing I'll have on me is my EDC, which I'm familiar with Illinois "carry" laws already

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i moved from central fl to indiana/IL border 20 years ago. my life was condensed into a 17t uhaul. tools clothes, my harley and what was left of my gun "collection"
    put the long guns in cases, pistols in rugs in my range bag, packed up the press and reloading stuff wrapped up in blankets, and layered in a big box with my clothes. 5000 or so rounds of ammo, power primers scattered around wherever they fit. i kept my CCW glock in the cab of the truck. only made one overnight stop while still in fl, spent more time watching the truck than i did sleeping. other stops were just for gas/coffee and kept rolling.
    before i crossed the IL line i stopped and put the glock in the back of the truck and locked the door.

i go the hell out of IL as soon i was able....

:cheers:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I rented a U-Haul trailer. I put the guns in cases or cloth sleeves. I put a good lock on the trailer and kept it parked close to my motel room.

Top Bottom